Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-23-2017 08:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Angry Help

Hi guys!! I am teenager, and I have been overweight for my entire life. I have had an extremely difficult time ever losing a substantial amount of weight. One day My parents and I were having a very lengthy and extensive discussion about my weight, and the bariatric sleeve surgery came up.My mom thought it would be an amazing idea as well as a great solution for my prolonged obesity, however, my dad was skeptical about it. Due to lots of convincing, and considerations for my weight we all agreed on the fact that it was our best option, and we went through with the beginning the process for the surgery. I am currently of my fourth month of weigh ins, and two weeks ago I had my consultation with my potential surgeon. However, she was really arrogant person and rude person, with no bedside manner. Anyways, she informed us the 25% of the people that have the surgery gain the weight back, this information frightened my father greatly. He is now convincing my mother and I that the sleeve should not be a solution for my ongoing weight gain battle. My father is also startled with the thought that there is only have 10 years of research and studies, he is also scared about the potential risks and that people may have the ability to develop cancer and other stomach diseases in the future, and that the surgery is irreversible. Personally, I am totally for the surgery and if it were up to me I would have had it done a while ago. However, I am a minor and I need my parents permission. If Anyone who was had the surgery can give me positive feedback or their personal success stories that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Help

All I can say is I went from obese to normal BMI, and I've maintained my weight loss for 3 years now. You do have to eat how they teach you. It's a lifestyle change, but not that difficult. If you can't give up the junk food, don't have the surgery, because you could easily gain back your weight. So I guess you have to decide how committed you are, and then talk to your parents. When you are a regular sized person, it's easy to stick to the program, because you like how you look and feel! Best of luck to you!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It does take commitment and change of mindset. The sleeve makes things a lot easier but if you choose to eat unhealthy foods you will most likely gain it back. I personally don't crave junk food now and eat a low carb lifestyle. I'm only 20 weeks post op though. My sister is 5+ years post op and has maintained her goal weight with no issues. She pretty much eats what she wants but sensibly. Good luck to you.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Charmgirl, I'm sorry the first doctor you met wasn't nice and seem caring. I would recommend getting another opinion. I had the sleeve 1-24-17. My recovery has been going great. I've been following a healthy diet, Trying to get 60gms of protein, vegetables of different colors and 64oz of water a day. staying hydrated is very important to feeling good and having energy, I flavor my water sometimes with tea and spenda, chyrstal light or fruit. I exercise everyday. I prepared for two years to have WLS. I saw a counselor and attend a support Group at the hospital for people having or had WLS. The sleeve is a great tool but you still have to do the work and make good choices if you don't you can regain weight. However there are a lot of people on here years out still doing great and have completely different lives. Went from a couch potato to a runner,hiker, walker, Bike rider.People Jumping out of airplanes and more. So many inspirational stories and before and after pics on here and on the weightloss agents web site. Good Luck sweetie, I hope your able to do this. P. S The Sleeve doesn't alter how your stomach works and thats a very good thing, just makes it smaller and actually improves health if you follow the guidelines. Maybe you and your parents can work on this together, start walking, increase physical activity and make better food choices and reduce amounts you put into you body. figure out what's driving you to overeat. Have you tried weightloss programs the hospital nutritional department runs? our program is called weightloss for life. That might be something to look into. I don't know how much weight you have to loose. I wish you well and if I or other members answer anymore questions please ask. "Remember its a marathon not a sprint"
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

25% of sleeve patient gain the weight back but compared to the 98% of dieters that gain the weight plus more it is awesome results.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36716808/n.../#.WNMdboWcHIU
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...kand-what-does

All of theses take tremendous effort to make real changes in your life but surgery is at leas a better option. Understand, this is very hard and will require herculean effort to achieve great results. You must commit yourself to the change.

PS-find another doctor who specializes in the treatment of people with eating disorders and bariatric medicine.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Everything your dad is worried about is true but the long term effects of being obese in my opinion are far worse. High blood pressure, Heart disease, high chloesterol, sleep apnea, joint pain and the list goes on and on. Also there is the mental and emotional effect being over weight has on a lot of people.I would suggest going through this site reading peoples threads and writing down different reasons why weight loss surgery is right for you. Then present it to your parents with a fact based argument best of luck to you on your journey and please keep us updated.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a mother of 3. My kid who's 20 had no weight issues until she left home. her first year of college she was in a dorm but eating cafeteria food, she gained 30 pounds. She moved in an apartment, started to lose weight, but her boy friend is a chef and now she is gaining weight again each month. She says she doesn't but we can see it on her face. I know what they eat and it's just complete nonsense.

I became obese with my first pregnancy but had weight issues since the age of 8. At home I always cooked balanced meals and my daughter seems to have her father's metabolism, she was always very slim, until she left for college. My youngest who's 10 does show signs of my metabolism and did start to gain weight really early, around the age of 8 like me. But because I understand better nutrition and how triggers can start obesity, so far she had not reached the kind of weight I reached when I was a kid. I started to be overweight at 8 years old but my parents had no clue how to deal with it so I was put under drastic diets, and each time I had issues with my asthma and gained weight with the medication, after that I was already tired from being sick but they would put me on a strict diet with almost nothing to eat. It completely messed up my metabolism.

All that to say: we all have issues with our weight here, but it's important to understand the how and why.
    Since you are a teenager (no offense here, just the mum talking) I know that it's probably hard to control your impulsion's. But it's normal as your brain will be fully mature at the age of 25. Are you able to follow a diet for weeks? if not that could be a problem. Because post-sleeve, if you don't watch carefully your nutrition, may be you will lose weight for a few months, but may be after 6 months you could regain easily. People do eat around their sleeves and they are usually much older.

My daughter did talk about the sleeve. She saw me "successful" and want the same results but she can't follow the rules right now so I think it's useless for her to start the process right now. Last Summer I went to her place, cleared up her pantry from the junk food, cooked with her, took her grocery shopping etc. I paid for nutrition classes, and sessions with a psychologist specialized in food addiction, she went once and never went back. You have to be in the right set of mind to start the process. My daughter is not ready. And if she starts the process now, the doctor will not approve her anyway.

That said, I can understand where your dad is coming from, but if my daughter could get a grip on her behavior, I would recommend the sleeve for her. For sure. Being young, with a better metabolism it would be faster to reach a healthy weight and easier to maintain. Plus, because I am "successful", if her behavior is better she probably would be too, stats show that when a family member has bariatric surgery with a positive results, chances are higher for relatives too.

May be you should find a better bariatric surgeon, someone nicer and have a second opinion. But try to be true to yourself on how can you follow the rules. If you can't right now, you might need help and therapy before starting the process, and it's fine. But it's better to do it when you are ready for success. A sleeve is a life long commitment, it's not a magic wand.

There's videos on Youtube from DrA, he did surgery on his niece when she was very young too. You might find it interesting.
    Good luck and take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Plus your family will have to be on board with your lifestyle change, you can't do it without their support. If you are extremely overweight as a teenager, I assume your family is eating poorly. (Maybe I'm wrong, but as a teacher of middle-schoolers I know the overweight ones aren't buying their own junk food!)

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I have to agree with Sandra, you may not be ready with your mindset and that could be part of the reason your father is disapproving. If you aren't already giving up soda, snacks, carbs and sticking to protein and fresh veggies, then you are not ready. My surgeon's group required a YEAR of doctor-supervised diet or the proof of a program like that. Have you done that? Being so young, your chance of becoming addicted to another substance in place of food is very great. If you answer all these questions positively, you could be ready to take on this life-change, otherwise you might be better off waiting and trying something else.

Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen M. Clark
    Last Activity
    10-11-2021 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

I'm out over 5 years. I've gained a few, but I'm still one of the success stories. If you've struggled with your weight your entire life the VSG may be what you need to break the cycle. It has been performed on children as young as 2. I'd be interested in knowing if your parents are obese. That could cause more problems than the surgery.
    Starting weight 06-06-11: 215 36.9 BMI
    Weight at Surgery 09-07-11: 188 32.3 BMI
    Current Weight as of 05-15-12: 135<-- As of 145lbs No longer overweight!
    Goal: 120 <-- Ideal weight 20.6 BMI

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

Sorry kid. You may have to wait till you're of age. I know it stinks. I've been there. When you're 18 or 21 make the decision and go with your mom and do it. My daughter had teeny tiny breasts and always wanted breast surgery her daddy was against it. I saved up for it and when she graduated high school I slipped her a check. She quietly had it done and daddy never found out. He thought she just filled out with age. So talk to mommy and work it out. It can be done I promise. You and mommy have to have a secret pact going. Mum's the word.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Well you haven't replied about your parents, which makes me think maybe your whole family has food issues. If they don't want to change what they eat, it will be impossible for you to change what you eat, unless you are doing all the cooking and shopping.