Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    06-14-2018 01:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Unhappy Wanting a sleeve but scared now

Hi I am new here and I am interested in having the gastric sleeve. I have done the research and watched my friend first hand have the sleeve this past December 2016. She is constantly sick! Throwing up,chest burning, dehydrated..etc. her doctor said she had a hiatal hernia right after the surgery...I was there the whole time. He also said she had scar tissue, she has been feeling so bad that they are worried about her also , she had a GI and they saw the fluid trickling down as she had been describing all along about how she feels it trickling. I thought they may have made her sleeve too tight or small. They stitched as well as stapled where most surgeons just staple. He said he does this to prevent leaks.

I wanted to watch someone first hand post op and now I am having second thoughts. My primary care doctor is against it, she states she continue to see her patients and they are having complications very often.

My friend regrets it. She is losing weight but she looks sick in her eyes. I try to comfort her but sometimes I think she is eating wrong stuff she should not be eating and she fibs a bit about what she eats so I can not tell. When she was in the hospital they were not going to release her until she kept down the 40grams of protein shakes and 40 ounces of water, she lied to me and said she was keeping it down just to go home with me. She knew had I known she would have stayed until she could. She came to my home and I took care of her for probably the first week. She gave me quite a few scares.

Now I am not so sure if I want to do it or not. I need an honest person to talk to me about this. When She comes to me and say she is not feeling well I will ask her what did she eat? And should she be eating that, she says it is ok for her but she can't keep anything down! Is this normal? And if so, how long ? Out of all the videos and researching I never hear people talking about these things. All I have heard is how wonderful it is which is why I considered it until I now, actually knowing someone in real life that I see everyday go though this.
    Please advise. Has anyone has these experiences?

T

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanting a sleeve but scared now

Complications occur in about 1% of people who have been sleeved. To put that into context, out of 100 people who receive a sleeve, only one person in the group will experience serious complications. That was a chance I was willing to take.

Obesity is dreadful. Obesity is more likely to kill you than getting bariatric surgery. Also, take your pick of obesity-related diseases: diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, etc.

Moreover, a strong social stigma comes with being obese. You are less likely to be hired than normal-weight counterparts. Now that I am at a normal body weight, people are friendlier and more willing to help me at stores and in the public.

So you can continue to be scared and focus on the negatives, or you can do something to increase your life span and quality of life. For me, staying obese was not an acceptable option. Good luck with whatever you decide.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    Complications occur in about 1% of people who have been sleeved. To put that into context, out of 100 people who receive a sleeve, only one person in the group will experience serious complications. That was a chance I was willing to take.

Obesity is dreadful. Obesity is more likely to kill you than getting bariatric surgery. Also, take your pick of obesity-related diseases: diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, etc.

Moreover, a strong social stigma comes with being obese. You are less likely to be hired than normal-weight counterparts. Now that I am at a normal body weight, people are friendlier and more willing to help me at stores and in the public.

So you can continue to be scared and focus on the negatives, or you can do something to increase your life span and quality of life. For me, staying obese was not an acceptable option. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Fantastic post RN this pretty much wrapped it all up.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Kara, I agree completely with the rehab nurse post. I had surgery 1-24-17 in Mexico. It was the best experience and my recovery continues to go well. My diabetes and high blood pressure is gone and i'm off meds for this. After loosening 68lbs total 45 of those pounds since surgery. I haven't felt this good and happy in a very very long time. I now appart of life instead of hiding from life. I discussed with my doctors and they were mostly supportive. I made sure to be honest with my surgeon about my past medical history and followed my preop and now postop diet to the T. No question this surgery has saved my life. I love being able to be active and enjoy it. I wake up and plan what kind of exercise i'm going to do that day. I love being able to wear ladies shoes. for a long time they weren't wide enough. I can wear jewelry I haven't been able to wear in along time, gone from a 22-16, 3x-ex lg or lg. It hasn't even been 2mos. Bmi gone from almost 45 to a 38. I'm happy to give you my number if you want to talk and ask questions, just request my cell through a private message if not you can send,ask any questions. I'm sorry you haven't had a better example to observe. I hope you friend can follow her diet and improve. Vomiting is very very bad for your sleeve. They try to be very aggressive to stop this or prevent because it can eventually stretch your sleeve. Good luck with what ever you decide. Tamera
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I would say find another doctor, but only my opinion and because of the "stitching AND stapling" comment. I asked Dr. Pleatman if he did a leak test post surgery. He said "absolutely not." He only uses staples; and he said that stressing the new stomach might CAUSE a leak. Made sense to me. And this is a man who has done over 900 sleeves and was the first doctor in Michigan to remove a gall bladder laproscopically. The guy knows what he's doing.
    I fear your friend may have a psychological problem with food. Is that what you think? If you eat things you shouldn't -- even when you're not hungry -- that points to problems outside of the surgery.
    I don't blame you for being scared at this point. Get a second opinion elsewhere. ALWAYS a good idea especially when something seems to be wrong.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

As others have said, there is a risk of complication with any surgery. You mentioned your primary care doctor is against the surgery...did she say why? Since the complication rate is so small, it seems like there is another reason so many of her patients are having complications.

Perhaps you can go to a bariatric seminar at another hospital and see what they have to say. Most have former patients available to talk to. The complications your friend is having are not common to most people and may be the result of her not following the instructions given to her by the surgeon. There are plenty of other surgeons around that perform this surgery and if this particular doctor's patients are having a high rate of complications, I'd go somewhere else.

The decision whether or not to have the surgery is yours. Do your own research
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone has stated the facts so eloquently and I haven't had the operation, but it's coming up. ALL of my doctors - including my dermatologist - are in favor of the sleeve. It's so interesting that you primary isn't. I don't want to bash this doctor, but I agree with getting other opinions and doing my research. Good luck on your choice.

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

i guess I'm in trouble then, because my surgeon staples and stitches the entire edges of the stomach, once stapled, back and front.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member Emmeraldas's Avatar
    Name
    Evelyn
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bestoun H. Ahmed, MD
    Last Activity
    07-26-2017 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Kara,
    Nothing is more frightening that seeing someone who develops a complication after surgery. For an example ...Bill Paxton. He obviously had a significant heart problem to need a valve replacement and an aortic aneurysm repair. He would have died without the surgery for sure. Unfortunately he fell into that 1% of people who develop a complication and for him it was a 100% complication. I do not mean to scare you. Complications exist. They happen. No matter how infrequently, they are frightening.

What you need to decide is are you willing to take a 1% chance of a risk from surgery or take your chances of impairing your health by being obese. It is a fact, that eventually, your health will take a toll. While I never needed CPAP, had diabetes, or developed a stroke or a serious heart problem; I do have residual health problems from 40 years of obesity. I am off my water pill, and my blood pressure pills but my knees will not repair the damage I have done to them. Going up and down steps is still very painful. Better but it is not going away. I could have prevented that having surgery sooner in life if it was available.

I personally was willing to take that risk. I had enough of being obese. I have no idea where in the world you live so I have no idea what health care you have access to. I would also advise you to talk to some surgeons about their methods. I don't know what method my surgeon used; staples, stiches, both? All I know is he taught bariatric surgery in Florida before coming up to UPMC and has a very high success rate. Success being the surgical recovery not the eventual patient weight loss. Surgeons vary in their methods and are staunch supporters of the methods they personally use. Believe me, I have seen an argument or two over the years between two surgeons about the same procedure but different methods of doing it. lol.

I also can't advise you about your friend. I do not know her surgeon or that surgeon's directions for her. I do know that lying to your medical team never turns out well. The decisions they make are based on the information the patient gives them. Lying to them makes them omit something or give orders that are based on falsehoods. Either way can be dangerous. I hope your friend recovers soon; maybe get a second opinion.

Good luck with your decision making.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Guys -- stapling AND stitching a sleeve is not unusual. At all.

You must have skipped class the day they covered that when you were in medical school.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

It is for certain doctors. They all have their own way of doing (and not doing) things.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-05-2017 01:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I am 2 1/2 months out from sleeve surgery. No regrets and many, many positives things happening to my body. High blood pressure medications cut in half and may be eliminated. Two destroyed knees feeling 80% better. Other medical issues vanishing or reduced significantly. Mobility increased 10 fold. Exercising 5 days a week. Down 7 inches in my waist. BMI down 9 points. The only downside has been learning portion size eating out (no scale) and dealing with the "pity party" when I see others eating plate fulls. That is a small price to pay to years that have been peeled off my age. I strongly encourage anyone to look at the future and go after it with gusto. It will speed your recovery. You will find a fountain of youth..in kind.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I will be 20 weeks post op tomorrow and no complications but I eat right and exercise. Everything went great and I have no issues eating unless I eat too much or too fast. No regrets.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesrtGal View Post
    i guess I'm in trouble then, because my surgeon staples and stitches the entire edges of the stomach, once stapled, back and front.
    You are not in trouble. I was vomiting for three days non stop post-op and thanks to my clever surgeon who did stitch over the staples because we knew I was going to vomit (my usual reaction to anesthesia) I didn't have a leak.
    We are all different, but this procedure is fine and did help me for sure.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kara2 View Post
    I have done the research and watched my friend first hand have the sleeve this past December 2016
    Being obese for 20 years, I tried everything to lose weight. My longest diet, one year non stop (2012/2013) made me realize that I needed serious help, a diet was not enough, losing was hard, I was always hungry and regained 60% of it. From my research point of view, bariatric surgery was my only option left or I wouldn't reach retirement. My health was getting worth each year. It took me a long time to find my surgeon, I didn't know where I wanted to have surgery because I live between several countries. But I finally decided to have it near my current home. My surgeon knew since day one I was going to be "the challenge" because I have so many health issues. We actually found out one more during the process. I met him in September 2014, had surgery in January 2016. In between, 8 consults with him, many exams and meeting several other specialists. He approved me in November 2014 but we did continue exams and tests after that date. I had to wait for my schedule to clear to organize free time for my recovery so my surgery was a little delayed. In January 2016 I spent two full days in hospital right before surgery to redo most tests. Since I lost 18 pounds between my own diet and the pre-op diet, my results came back better. Right after surgery I did vomit non stop for three days. Was kept on an IV the whole time. I also had very strong nausea for six months, and reflux as well.I was only able to stop the PPI (reflux medication) one month ago, and it seems I do have a few side effects from the PPI.
    But I have no regrets. I was ready for the side effects, vomiting and nausea. I knew from my medical history, my time spent with my surgeon and my extensive reading for years about the sleeve that it could happen.
    Now the positive:
    I lost 100 pounds in 13 months. No way I could have lost that much alone, I never did, not even during my one year diet program. Now I'm more mobile, don't feel like I'm dying if I walk more than 2 kms. Flying is not a nightmare like before, I can be comfortable in a seat and don't need a seat belt extension any longer. I must say, I fly often for work, so for people who only fly once a year that's not a big deal, but for me it was. My health did improve and that was my first goal.
    My opinion about your friend (and I'm not a doctor):
    I think you friend could have serious issue with reflux and if she is eating the wrong thing, or not taking the right medication, it could trigger vomiting.
    Nutrition post-sleeve is really important. I had some food issues right after surgery, cruciferous veggies made me sick, I was only able to put it back in my diet a few weeks ago. I couldn't stand whey protein or just milk. It got better too. Focusing on the best nutrition possible is really important. It's not the right time to eat junk food because we eat so little it has to be nutritious and good for the body.
    The sleeve is a process, for me the first few months were difficult, my complexion was green most time, but it was worth it.

You doctor is against it? did he say why? because so far bariatric surgery does have risks, but they are very low compare to the risks of morbid obesity. Many doctors don't understand obesity, they don't understand it's a metabolic problem and it needs a drastic solution to help. Some doctor still think today that everybody can lose weight just with a diet. It's not true or the world would not be facing the endemic obesity he is facing right now. What's you doctor solution then?

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93