Dr. Bestoun H. Ahmed, MD
    Last Activity
    07-26-2017 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mourning food

Alix, It has been a struggle for myself to relearn how to cook. I was still in the middle of learning how to rescale my cooking from 6 to 2 when we had sleeves done. when the kids all get together I can have up to 12 for a meal. Sometimes more if they bring friends. So cooking for 2, post sleeve has been a puzzle.
    One thing I have learned over the years of cooking is to be adaptable. My middle daughter turned Vegetarian at 15. So I have to learn how to prepare nutritious dishes for a growing teen and fit them in with the rest of the omnivores in the family. Some of the things I learned to cook have turned out to be family favorites. Then I got a daughter in law who is sensitive to gluten. Again, back to the research and learning new things.
    The low carb portion of the diet seems to be different for different folks. However, for myself, I have found that eating meals primarily based on a carb will stall my weight loss. I mean dishes made mostly of pasta, having potatoes and smothering it in thick gravy, rice dishes lightly laced with other ingredients, then having a bread to clean up the drippings on my plate. Those kind of dishes for me are different than eating my protein with a veggie and having a side of carbs. It sounds like the same thing but it is not. There is very little I do not eat. It is the way I fit my carbs (and sweets) into my daily food intake that makes the difference whether I stay on course or get stalled.
    I suppose there was a short time when I had a mental funeral for the "old way I used to eat. However, I was so fed up with being obese, dieting, regaining, repeat ad nauseum, I welcomed a proven plan to lose weight. My husband still mourns for food. His current mourning is for 12-16 ounce steaks. Steaks, medium rare, are very difficult for me to digest and I can forgo the queasiness without looking back at a loss. Everyone is a different in how they adjust.
    Relearning how and what to eat takes some time and I can understand your distress. You are only a week or so out. However, you do not have to give up the quality of your cooking. you are merely modifying your intake. You do not have to sacrifice flavor, taste, and the enjoyment of cooking.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Mourning food

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    You act like I went into this procedure with absolutely no idea what's to come. You're wrong. Both my sisters-in-law and my daughter-in-law had a bypass, and my best friend just hit 1 year on her sleeve. I didn't need to be lectured by someone who apparently believes he has all the correct answers. I was merely sharing some of what I was going through NOW. I've learned my lesson and believe me, it won't happen again.
    There's a 15% long term failure rate with gastric sleeve. Good odds, but ..... Keep THAT in mind.
    I don't understand how you could know how you're going to feel 6 months, 1 or even 2 years from now if you haven't been there yet? And the failure rate (or regain rate) is actually more like 49%.

You didn't make a 'mistake' feeling what you're feeling. Most of us went through that mourning phase. You don't have to apologize because of how you feel. It is what it is.

You'll find what works FOR YOU. But take all the great advice given here and use it to find what works for yourself. No need to be defensive. This journey (I know some hate that word) isn't easy. Don't make it even harder by discarding good information because you may not like how it was said.