Surgeon
    Dr Nagel
    Last Activity
    03-20-2017 12:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Lightbulb Hello everyone

This is my first post. I had surgery exactly 1 week ago today and I have been in a hazy denial of this whole thing. I haven't told anyone other than my husband ( he had surgery today) and have been adverse to groups and forums for an unknown reason ( I think pride was part of it) well as I have been home from work for the last week I have been spending a lot of time on forums lurking and reading and well. Time to leap in and come to terms with everything. So here I go... I have been pudgy my entire life. I was a roly poly baby and toddler, by 9-10 years old I was wearing teen clothes and was over 100 lbs. I did thin down a bit in middle school and started High school in the 150s. I did sorta and exercised reguraly but I was always thick in the hips and thighs. Well I started climbing from there averaging about 10 pounds a year. It would just creep up on me. I would diet and loose 20 pounds but it would come back and then some. My mother had put me on diets from about age 7-8. She does not have a healthy relationship with food but the other end of the spectrum where she would eat dry toast and water for breakfast and then not eat again till dinner where she would nibble as she cooked and call that her meal. She would threaten to lock the refrigerator from me because she thought I was snacking when I wasn't suppose to. I didn't do that but she didn't beleave me. I literally took PE 3 times a day at school (Sports PE, regular PE and I TAed for PE) I would starve myself for a little then binge eat. It was horrible I knew it then and I know it now. I refuse to talk to my mom about anything health related. She lives in another state so it's not hard. I know I can't do this alone and I have my support with my husband who knows my issues and is supportive of me. I am a extremely self conscious person and I always feel people are judging me on my health and size and it's made me pull away socially from people and it's just exasperated my issues. Now I'm faceing them down and am mentally and physically ready to progress and change. I will be seeing my family in July for a family event and that is causing some freaking out but it has to be done, I can't avoid them forever but I still will not talk to them about it. It's talking to a wall and not worth the aggravation and tears on my end. Well there it is for the first time. All out there.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello everyone

Welcome to the forum!
    Most of us have been dealing with obesity since childhood. It's especially difficult when parents don't have issues with their weight themselves. I've been there too.

You made the right decision in getting bariatric surgery, so far it's the only way to really get your health back. Your husband doing the same surgery is the best way to have the best buddy to go through thick and thin of this journey. Of course your husband will probably lose faster than you (because that's how it works..), but what's important is to make long term healthy changes in your life, focus on good nutrition and exercise as soon as possible.

You don't need to explain anything to anyone, it's your life, your decision.
    As obese people, we face a lot of prejudice in our lifes. I decided a long time ago that I didn't care what other people think. You should do the same. Turn the page, you're writing your own book now. You have your own family now, you're married, so you are writing your family history. Start fresh.
    I always think about all the prejudice I faced in life and it does help me make better decisions. Being more tolerant, compassionate because I faced so much "racism" is using the bad to do good. You can do it too.
    Best of luck in your journey with your husband. Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Smile Re: Hello everyone

Welcome, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all that as a child with your mom. I can't imagine doing that to a child. But I'm sure she did the best she could. Clearly she had an unhealthy relationship with food. That jaded her thinking. I would recommend finding a good counselor to see so you can work through your issues with food and possibly scaring from your childhood. This surgery will not cure your problems with food. It still takes a lot of work. You might contact your local Bariatric Surgery center for a referral. I didn't grow up with weight problems. I spent the first 30 years of my life with no weight issues fortunately, I was into health and sports and worked out regularly but do to developing major health issues that caused me to alter my life style dramatically and caused a depression and I didn't always eat healthy. I finally couldn't take it anymore and became tired of the shame of letting myself go. I started counseling and a 2.5 year journey to this point. I took back control and learned how to keep moving forward and a healthy relationship with food and learned other ways to handle set backs if they come and working on reprogramming my brain and so far I'm winning the War and loving myself and proud of my accomplishments to date. I wish you success and we are here for you a long the way. This site is amazing because you get to see people who are ahead of you that have taken back there life and do some pretty damn impressive things. Just looking at the before and after pics I find exhilarating. But sadly you will find people that are failing to keep make changes or never totally change and they don't loose very much. Some people just put it back on and have stretched out their sleeve. Hard to read but can be a lesson to help you prepare. It's great your husband can be a good support. Take Care
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

✨Welcome! And Congratulations on your surgery!✨

Firstly, I hope you are recovering well and without any complications, wishing the same for your hubby.

Please know you are not alone.

Just strive to be the best version of your authentic self, and everything thing else will fall into place.

Sending you the best of wishes!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

8. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Everyone got to this point somehow. Never feel badly for the way you were raised, you really didn't have control over that. Also, forgive your family, because they have their own issues and deal with them in their own way. Now you (and your husband) have taken a big first step and it's not an overnight process, so you will have time to learn about dealing with food. You never have to tell anyone you don't want to tell. So many good things can come from this surgery, you really have to be open to change, that's the way this will work.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

I get it. I come from a relatively poor family with generally low self-esteem. My mom was 1 of 11 of a coal miner and housewife. Each and every one was well cared for but always of the poorer families growing up. As adults, they would find a way to verbally insult their nieces and nephews.

My older sister was the oldest of all the kids and heard from her early teens that she was fat. She was about a size 8-10 through high school so she was not big. It was a very unhealthy way to grow up. I was always very thin, to the point I was 125 lbs as a freshman at 6'1". I did not want people calling me fat because I saw how my sister felt being called that by a family member. For some, I think it comes from a concerned place but some it comes from a very mean place. Anyways, once I started gaining weight, and more weight, I became very distant from my mom's family. I really don't see anyone except for weddings and funerals. Last time I saw them I was 320 lbs and heard from my aunt that I looked very unhealthy (FAT) and didn't I think I should try to lose weight.

I really don't need their validation any longer so when I see them next I can ignore the "my you are fat" comments even though I have lost bunches, because they will come. I feel great and if anyone of my other "FAT" cousins asks I will volunteer my secret. I did with one who saw a facebook picture. When I told her what I did she said she could never do it because she likes to drink way to much. Oh well. I think we all had to come to understanding that our future health is seriously at risk before we get past our upbringing.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I think most of us can relate to a dysfunctional relationship with food. It's what got us here in the first place. Congrats to you and the hubby for taking these steps. Going through this together will be helpful bc you understand each other and the eating limitations. As for the family event, you still won't be eating much by 4 months. I'm just over 4 months and I can't eat much. I still have only told immediate family and 4 close friends. Don't plan on telling anyone else. Maybe that' will change, maybe not. Good luck and welcome!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your surgery.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member julieaponte's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    12/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

It's hard to be so open and vulnerable sometimes. Know that you are not alone in this. We are all in very similar situations. It's hard. You got this though. Good luck!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder View Post
    I get it. I come from a relatively poor family with generally low self-esteem. My mom was 1 of 11 of a coal miner and housewife. Each and every one was well cared for but always of the poorer families growing up. As adults, they would find a way to verbally insult their nieces and nephews.

My older sister was the oldest of all the kids and heard from her early teens that she was fat. She was about a size 8-10 through high school so she was not big. It was a very unhealthy way to grow up. I was always very thin, to the point I was 125 lbs as a freshman at 6'1". I did not want people calling me fat because I saw how my sister felt being called that by a family member. For some, I think it comes from a concerned place but some it comes from a very mean place. Anyways, once I started gaining weight, and more weight, I became very distant from my mom's family. I really don't see anyone except for weddings and funerals. Last time I saw them I was 320 lbs and heard from my aunt that I looked very unhealthy (FAT) and didn't I think I should try to lose weight.

I really don't need their validation any longer so when I see them next I can ignore the "my you are fat" comments even though I have lost bunches, because they will come. I feel great and if anyone of my other "FAT" cousins asks I will volunteer my secret. I did with one who saw a facebook picture. When I told her what I did she said she could never do it because she likes to drink way to much. Oh well. I think we all had to come to understanding that our future health is seriously at risk before we get past our upbringing.
    Yes, the joys of toxic families... I've had similar experiences with my family, my friend. I love how they and others suggest that you lose weight, because "duh," we didn't think of already doing that. I'm literally working on what to say to folks when they say dumbass things. Seriously! Some are rude responses and other responses are brief, non-aggressive but definitely to the point of letting them know it's my journey and I prefer to keep it private.

They will never have your strength, bravery, and well-deserved pride of accomplishment. Who cares about them - you're winning, champ! You look fabulous!

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TaterTott View Post
    This is my first post. I had surgery exactly 1 week ago today and I have been in a hazy denial of this whole thing. I haven't told anyone other than my husband ( he had surgery today) and have been adverse to groups and forums for an unknown reason ( I think pride was part of it) well as I have been home from work for the last week I have been spending a lot of time on forums lurking and reading and well. Time to leap in and come to terms with everything. So here I go... I have been pudgy my entire life. I was a roly poly baby and toddler, by 9-10 years old I was wearing teen clothes and was over 100 lbs. I did thin down a bit in middle school and started High school in the 150s. I did sorta and exercised reguraly but I was always thick in the hips and thighs. Well I started climbing from there averaging about 10 pounds a year. It would just creep up on me. I would diet and loose 20 pounds but it would come back and then some. My mother had put me on diets from about age 7-8. She does not have a healthy relationship with food but the other end of the spectrum where she would eat dry toast and water for breakfast and then not eat again till dinner where she would nibble as she cooked and call that her meal. She would threaten to lock the refrigerator from me because she thought I was snacking when I wasn't suppose to. I didn't do that but she didn't beleave me. I literally took PE 3 times a day at school (Sports PE, regular PE and I TAed for PE) I would starve myself for a little then binge eat. It was horrible I knew it then and I know it now. I refuse to talk to my mom about anything health related. She lives in another state so it's not hard. I know I can't do this alone and I have my support with my husband who knows my issues and is supportive of me. I am a extremely self conscious person and I always feel people are judging me on my health and size and it's made me pull away socially from people and it's just exasperated my issues. Now I'm faceing them down and am mentally and physically ready to progress and change. I will be seeing my family in July for a family event and that is causing some freaking out but it has to be done, I can't avoid them forever but I still will not talk to them about it. It's talking to a wall and not worth the aggravation and tears on my end. Well there it is for the first time. All out there.
    Welcome! Most families are so damn toxic. I am practicing what I will say to the rude ones. This practice has helped me a lot in the past, I highly recommend it. We're your peers and you're among friends.

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

you know, I am OK. Its the vulnerable that I worry about. I had my defenses and still do. Hardly a one in my family has accomplished what I have professionally, educationally, personally, and previously athletically. I have succeeded at most things I have done and created my buffer zones. My wife and I have the discussion frequently that people have power over you when you give them that power. Outwardly, I am unfazed by the concerned people in my family. Internally, I want to punk slap the hell out of people who think they have something to say to me or others.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder View Post
    you know, I am OK. Its the vulnerable that I worry about. I had my defenses and still do. Hardly a one in my family has accomplished what I have professionally, educationally, personally, and previously athletically. I have succeeded at most things I have done and created my buffer zones. My wife and I have the discussion frequently that people have power over you when you give them that power. Outwardly, I am unfazed by the concerned people in my family. Internally, I want to punk slap the hell out of people who think they have something to say to me or others.
    "Punk slap" - I like that phrase, I'm going to borrow it.

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member TaterTott's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Nagel
    Last Activity
    03-20-2017 12:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thank you everyone for the support and I can't wait to get to know you all better.