Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 4 days post surgery -- That wasn't at all easy

Not much pain (ever) but the nausea did me in completely. It was really, truly, scary awful. I made sure they gave me NO vicodin, but the general anesthesia was more than enough to wipe me out and lasted for 2 full days. I was supposed to go home the day after surgery but had to stay an additional day. I completely regretted the decision many times in those first two days and if I was told I had to go thru it again, I'll just pass on the whole thing.
    I know I'm being negative here, but anyone that has narcotic/anesthesia sensitivity, you must be prepared for some genuine misery. Despite massive doses (into my IV -- two drugs -- and a patch for nausea), I STILL retched. Not pleasant after having 80% of your stomach removed. They gave me pain meds (despite not having pain) and that actually helped so I have to wonder if my body was confusing nausea for pain. Stranger things than that have happened.
    Downing the protein shakes as requested, but man, I am already hating them. Not much longer, tho. Once in awhile is great, but three times a day when you can't really hold anything is a chore. And the NOISES that my stomach makes.... OMG I had one of my cats on my lap while I was drinking and she lifted her head out of a sound sleep and looked at me like I'd just grown another head and started barking at her.
    And yes, laughing made me hurt! :-)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    01-08-2018 01:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: 4 days post surgery -- That wasn't at all easy

sorry you have had so many troubles. I had surgery Tuesday and had just the opposite of you. Plenty of pain and hardly any nausea. In fact when they gave the Zofran and Relan for nausea it caused terrible pains. I asked them to stop. Also I haven't touched the Rx for Zofran I have post op, dont want that problem again. I have had some indegestion and gas from drinking too much too fast, and trying to finish my protien shake too quickly but I wouldnt call it terrible. The morphine and vicoden have helped the first 5 days, not so much pain today is 24 hrs since last pain med.

Keep up your good work its will pass and heal and you will be glad to have lost the lbs
    HW - 355
    SW - 342
    PreOp - 324
    2 week Post - 301
    1 Month Post - 295
    2 Month Post - 282
    3 Month Post - 277
    6 Month Post - 261
    1 year -

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jan
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Oh man I'm sorry you had that experience. I had surgery about 12 days ago & had nausea for a few days. Not to that extent, but it wasn't good. Agree re: the protein shakes are hard. And I gurgled a lot for over a week too. But that has diminished. I hope things go easier for you very soon. Every day has been getting easier. Take care.

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Holy mackerel! Yeah, that would have been awful for me too. I had some nausea when I had to take the nausea meds, but nothing that required me to stay in the hospital. In fact, I had an outpatient surgery and was home about two hours or less after I woke up. I did feel some form of anxiety when I felt nausea coming on, but I just walk it out. I thought the walk walk walk suggestion was meant toward that experience since I had no shoulder or gas pains to think of.

Hopefully, you are out of the woods and on your way to a speedy and healthy recovery.

You got this! And welcome to the "loser's bench!"
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    Not much pain (ever) but the nausea did me in completely. It was really, truly, scary awful. I made sure they gave me NO vicodin, but the general anesthesia was more than enough to wipe me out and lasted for 2 full days. I was supposed to go home the day after surgery but had to stay an additional day. I completely regretted the decision many times in those first two days and if I was told I had to go thru it again, I'll just pass on the whole thing.
    I know I'm being negative here, but anyone that has narcotic/anesthesia sensitivity, you must be prepared for some genuine misery. Despite massive doses (into my IV -- two drugs -- and a patch for nausea), I STILL retched. Not pleasant after having 80% of your stomach removed. They gave me pain meds (despite not having pain) and that actually helped so I have to wonder if my body was confusing nausea for pain. Stranger things than that have happened.
    Downing the protein shakes as requested, but man, I am already hating them. Not much longer, tho. Once in awhile is great, but three times a day when you can't really hold anything is a chore. And the NOISES that my stomach makes.... OMG I had one of my cats on my lap while I was drinking and she lifted her head out of a sound sleep and looked at me like I'd just grown another head and started barking at her.
    And yes, laughing made me hurt! :-)
    Wow, you really had a bad time of it. I hope things are getting better. I have problems with anesthesia, too. I already am scared, but now that fear is turning into terror. Oh boy... Again, I hope things get better real soon and that you'll be up and about and that this becomes a fleeting memory. All the best.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmac91 View Post
    sorry you have had so many troubles. I had surgery Tuesday and had just the opposite of you. Plenty of pain and hardly any nausea. In fact when they gave the Zofran and Relan for nausea it caused terrible pains. I asked them to stop. Also I haven't touched the Rx for Zofran I have post op, dont want that problem again. I have had some indegestion and gas from drinking too much too fast, and trying to finish my protien shake too quickly but I wouldnt call it terrible. The morphine and vicoden have helped the first 5 days, not so much pain today is 24 hrs since last pain med.

Keep up your good work its will pass and heal and you will be glad to have lost the lbs
    Congratulations on your surgery and glad to hear all is going well!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Laura, my advice is to take the pain meds they offer (I think I was on liquid percoset). I would have at least 2 hours of feeling ok. Take all the nausea meds they offer. It WILL pass .... it's just going to be a long two days until the anesthesia is out of your system. If you have to stay in the hospital an additional day, do it. At some point, it'll be like someone threw a light switch and suddenly all nausea and discomfort just disappears. It'll happen. It's really got nothing to do with the surgery and everything to do with anesthesia. I hope you're fortunate as I was that pain wasn't a problem at all. Having to deal with BOTH problems would be bad!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

I had issues with anastasia too, vomiting for the 1st 48hrs
    If I wasn't vomiting I was nauseous. Nothing helped. Zofron, nothing. Some shot in my thigh, nothing.
    Stayed in hospital 4 days
    But here I am 2 years later and I'm glad I did it. The beginning easy hard. It gets so much easier
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aydensmomma View Post
    I had issues with anastasia too, vomiting for the 1st 48hrs
    If I wasn't vomiting I was nauseous. Nothing helped. Zofron, nothing. Some shot in my thigh, nothing.
    Stayed in hospital 4 days
    But here I am 2 years later and I'm glad I did it. The beginning easy hard. It gets so much easier
    So sorry to hear that you too had problems. In one operation, it took me 8 hours to come out of it and I threw up and pissed myself. Another time, they had to intubate me 2X. All other times it just took me a while to come out of it. My last operation, gall bladder, things went well because I had an excellent anesthesiologist who was prepared. I asked for him but there's no guarantees. I gotta get off of this thread, I'm starting to panic. All the best to everyone.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    Laura, my advice is to take the pain meds they offer (I think I was on liquid percoset). I would have at least 2 hours of feeling ok. Take all the nausea meds they offer. It WILL pass .... it's just going to be a long two days until the anesthesia is out of your system. If you have to stay in the hospital an additional day, do it. At some point, it'll be like someone threw a light switch and suddenly all nausea and discomfort just disappears. It'll happen. It's really got nothing to do with the surgery and everything to do with anesthesia. I hope you're fortunate as I was that pain wasn't a problem at all. Having to deal with BOTH problems would be bad!
    Alix, I had to come back and say thanks for sharing your experience, insight, and suggestions. Wow, what an ordeal. I look forward to your healing and ever increasing happiness. Thanks.

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, either I had a great surgeon or am just lucky. Did not go through any of that. Main issue with the gas right after surgery. I am very sorry you had to go through that but now at 4 weeks post op my bet is that you will get better each day and that will all be a distant memory. Once you can have regular liquids get yourself plenty of variety of cream based soups. Also, a go to for me was to take fat free refried beans cut with chicken broth, add fat free sour cream and blend. Make sure is the consistency of cream soup and then nuke in microwave. Was a nice change from the protein shakes and you still get some decent protein from the beans. What shakes are you taking? Premier Protein are the best for me. I tried ISOPURE but they were gross. Strawberry Cream was very good followed by Chocolate. They also have Vanilla and Banana cream.

Stay the course! You will start to see many rewards of your decision as the days go by.

Regards,

Tommy

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thanks Tommy. Assuredly, the problems some of us experience with anesthesia has nothing to do with the doctor -- or even the anesthesiologist. It's just the way some people react to it. I'm staying with Premier Protein for the most part (because of the higher protein count), and also Atkins (which is also approved by my doc because it is low carb), and I also make my own using Torani sugar free syrups. I wouldn't say ANY of it is yummy, but this too shall pass. Maybe like a kidney stone, but it'll pass! :-)
    Laura, thank you for your kind words and I'm sorry if I've made you feel panicky but I hope that by knowing the problems with nausea that can occur in an unlucky few, you are prepared and ready to be your own advocate. My surgeon, Dr. Pleatman, has done over 900 sleeves and has an agreement with the beautiful and roomy St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Bloomfield Hills, MI. The nursing staff were well aware of how to treat sleeve patients and they never once argued with me about anything! If I said I was still nauseous, they believed me and gave me regular doses of everything via my IV without delay. I know you will be fine. Please, please let me know how you do! If you want to write me directly my e-mail is alixott@gmail.com

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Rossi
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 07:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

How are you feeling now?

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Doing well. Except I think I'm getting a cold... blech! I'm still mostly into the liquid protein (double blech) but have added a little cream soup and also cottage cheese (which is yummy). Amazed that 1/4 cup can make me feel pleasantly full. Once the anesthesia worked out of my system, it has been smooth sailing since then. A bit tired and sleeping more but when you're only drinking 300 or so calories a day, that's to be expected I would think. Thank you for asking!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Rossi
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 07:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

So glad! I am 19 days out and still only getting 400 calories per day. So yes, I am tired as well. I think that is normal. This week I started adding 1 Tbs of all natural PB to increase the calorie intake for energy. I do like the Premier Protien Shakes....put them in the freezer for a little bit and make it slushy. You may like it better! GOOD LUCK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast