Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    08-22-2019 06:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Mercy Weightloss Solutions-Cincinnati

Hi,
    Anyone have any experience with Mercy? I went to a seminar last week and feel like they really have a well rounded approach to surgery. I haven't had my initial appointment yet to get some statistics on the post op complication rates so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience. Also, I have Anthem insurance and surgery is covered. Anyone have any idea what their requirements are?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Lisa Hawver, M.D.
    Last Activity
    07-06-2018 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mercy Weightloss Solutions-Cincinnati

I went through Mercy and have had a very good experience. I'm almost five months post surgery and have done well. The preop work was thorough, and I feel like that coupled with my own research has been excellent prep for the surgery and life after. I also have Anthem BC/BS, but my plan has specific exclusions for any kind of bariatric surgery so I self-paid. My Mercy experience has been great, although it wasn't in Cincinnati - I'm in St. Louis.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Try googling your doctor. You can usually find people's experiences with them. I would contact your insurance directly to find out the requirements so you can make sure everything gets met. I did that with mine. Good luck.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

So I spoke with my insurance company today and they require that surgery be medically necessary and require a 6 month supervised diet before they'll approve. I dunno, maybe I'm approaching this with the wrong mindset but I can go on a diet and maybe lose a little bit of weight and they'll deny me, and I'll likely gain it all back. Or I can just get cleared for surgery and go to Mexico and get it over with.I don't want to spend the next year jumping through hoops. I just feel like the insurance company probably isn't going to approve me and they shouldn't get to decide whats best

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

You can also try the six months supervised diet and if they don't approve you, then you go to Mexico.
    Because, let's be honest here, the six months diet is to make sure you can stick to a program, and that will be necessary for the sleeve process too. there's guidelines to follow and the weight will not be coming off if you can't follow those guidelines post-op.
    I know six months is a long time but I'm pretty sure you've been obese for much much more. And what you will lose in the pre-op diet won't come back when you have the sleeve to help you.
    After being obese for 20 years I was ready for the sleeve. Since I did already a one year supervised diet, I didn't need to do an other diet to be approved, plus my BMI was around 53 and I knew that they would approve a person with a BMI higher than 40 (or lower with two comorbidities).
    Because I'm overseas, my insurance is different, but I do think that this surgery should be paid for by our insurances because it's not a luxury but a necessity. If you can get it paid by your insurance, go for it. It will be easier also for your after care and if you have a problem post-op (complications are low, 1% but still..).
    Yes it might be more complicated than going to Mexico, but on the long run it's probably worth it.
    Good luck and take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Hi,
    I am in Cincinnati too, but I am going through the program at UC. I did my initial seminar in June 2016 and started the 6 month supervised weight-loss program, completing it in January. Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds! During the six months you will be visit with the dietician, physician's assistant, therapist, and the surgeon. You will learn the ins and outs of the surgery and the changes you will need to make to achieve your goals. You don't have to lose a ton of weight during the supervised weight loss, in fact, I only lost about 10 pounds.
    You may also need medical clearance from a cardiologist, sleep doctor, or pulmonologist. Make sure you get those done sooner rather than later! Don't be like me and keep postponing, LOL. I didn't get my pulmonary clearance until early March, so my info was just now submitted to insurance for approval. All in all, this process has taken about 9 months so far, but it's been well worth it! And at times it's seemed to take forever, but most of the time it's flown by! Best of luck on your journey! Let me know if you'd like a local support buddy!
    Deanna

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

If you enter into a program with your gastric surgeon for the six month supervised diet, the weight you entered is your starting weight. So if you lose during the supervised diet, the insurance company does not deny you based on that. On my program (which was totally paid for by insurance except $150 and co-pays) I had to have a BMI over 40 (which I did not have) so if not, you had to have 2 co-morbidities; believe me, the doctors are very good at finding co-morbidities, so if they accept you as a patient, you most likely will not be denied. I, too, was upset about the six months, but in the end, as someone else said, you HAVE been obese for longer than that. I liked having insurance pay for it, so that was good enough for me.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I've been mulling it over and I'm going to go ahead and wait for the center here to get me in and go from there. I certainly don't want to run into this and I want to be sure I'm medically approved for a surgery. I've had a really bad past few months so I think the diet will be good to get me back into a better eating groove and working out. If I go through all of it and don't get approved, then off to Mexico I go. I don't think my insurance will cover the diet unless the dr convinces them it's medically necessary. I got the general feeling at the seminar that they're very good at working with the insurance companies and they have such a well rounded program I'd prefer to wait and see what happens here. I'm just so excited about the possibilities.

Gastric Sleeve Member Redmustang812's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Dahman
    Last Activity
    09-23-2018 07:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times

I am also having surgery at the mercy weight loss solutions.