03/17/2017
    Surgeon
    CUNNEEN
    Last Activity
    07-01-2017 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default So grateful to this forum as I take my next step! Ann2 especially...

It's been along journey. I was a chubby kid and zoftig in college. Dated and popular and well liked...but always plump. Each time I lost weight, I'd gain more back, and it was a new "set point". By the time I finished graduate school, my BMI was over 30 and I weighed 150 or 160 lbs. I'm "vertically challenged" at 4 ft 10 inches.

I've done it all, like you, to lose weight.

Hospital program at Cedars-Sinai in the '80s, an optifast nazi regimen with weekly therapy; liquid diet for 5 months to lose 60 lbs. Kept it off for 5 years. Next up, fen/phen. It worked but was removed from market. Then a weird DR in Beverly hills with a strange diet, but home delivered luxury meals. then UCLA's Risk Factor Obesiety program (more liquid proten) for eight years. Each time, 30 or 40 lbs lost to return...and therapy throughout all focused on weight.

Had the horrible horrible lap bad in 2008. I lost ten pounds and was in misery the entire three years. Often would take one bite of a meal and then need to leave table to "productive burp". Sliming was a regular part of life. Surgery to remove it was tough to handle; recovery took a full month but I was working. Very difficult. There was scar tissue under the band; little wonder I was miserable.

After lap band remove, Dr. supervised diet with drug therapy...Belvique followed by another new drug, SAXENDA. Blue shield paid for it for 18 months but then refused.. End of road with usual interventions!!!

I have sleep apnea, of course, and also recently struggling with plantar facistics/heel pain.

All of that history led me to this forum, where I heard my story through you and vicariously experienced your success!

I was approved for survery immediately after submission and I'm scheduled for Friday, March 17th.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your story. I'll share mine, too, to help myself and hopefully to help others.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nicole
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gerig
    Last Activity
    03-23-2017 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: So grateful to this forum as I take my next step! Ann2 especially...

Well you are post surgery since you wrote in so I hope things are well for you in your recovery! If you have a "normal" surgery then at this time you should be up on your feet, eating/drinking again liquid baby like foods. Pain should be next to none and your energy level is growing by the day! Wishing you great success on this journey that you just began!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So grateful to this forum as I take my next step! Ann2 especially...

Welcome and (I think) you're welcome.

Ann2

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Taosgirl! I am also vertically challenged at just under 4'11". This was the best decision ever. I will be 20 weeks post op tomorrow. How is your recovery going?

Surgery date
    03/17/2017
    Surgeon
    CUNNEEN
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

20 weeks and already at 137, that's fantastic.

My recovery is proceeding s-l-o-w-ly. I'm still running a temp which contributes to the need to nap several times a day. But the water/liquids are going well. Premiere protein,which i liked pre surgery, is very difficut to tolerate. So I['m making hot cocoa instead with HMR powder, only 15 mgs but at least it goes down.

No codeine today since early this morning, dose was "due" 4 hours ago. It's a little hard to differentiate between gas pains and hernia repair pains!

But all in all I am thrilled and happy. Just not feeling very witty. Thanks for reaching out.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

One thing that totally changed for me after losing weight was my feet. They used to always hurt. Now they're fine! (Smaller too, which really surprised me. How can one lose weight in their feet!?!)

Surgery date
    03/17/2017
    Surgeon
    CUNNEEN
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Loved hearing about smaller feet! I've got a ton of darling, expensive shoes that just don't fit. I'll hold on to them and see if my feet are fat, too. Wouldn't that be nice!

I'm much better today, 8 days post op. No pain meds, and FINALLY a regular temperature. My only issue now is that my incisions are itching -- really really itchy. I think I'm allergic to the stitches, there's a "hive" surrounding each incision...

Tolerable. I'm excited and optimistic about all that is to come!