Last Activity
    08-08-2017 12:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Should I do this? Help!

What am I worried about?

1. The pain right after surgery. I have heard some people say that they had little to no pain (including my mom’s friend who is in her late 60’s). I have people say it feels like an incredible amount of pressure but manageable. Some say that they were in an incredible amount of pain right after surgery for 1-2 days, etc,
    2. The pain post op (in general). Again, I have heard people experience minimal to no pain, once in awhile, and some say they are almost always in pain. Am I going to be throwing up , constipated, and/or sick to my stomach for the rest of my life? Is this common? I also heard some people have difficulty swallowing and it being painful going down. IS heartburn common?
    3. Complications. I am concerned about potential leaks, blood clots, bleeding etc
    4. Feeling regretful. I don’t want to wake up and panic. I know someone who had a panic attack when she woke up from surgery.
    5. Does your sleeve feel “weird” in your body initially?
    6. Long Term Maintenance (I have the commitment) but have their been any studies?
    7. Food and Nutrition-I hope it wont be too painful for me to eat and be able to get the nutrients that I need.

On a positive note, I have a great surgeon in mind. He has a less than 1% complication rate and he is highly regarded as one of the best and also a trauma surgeon etc. I have a good support system. I have healthcare even though I am getting my procedure in Mexico. I know that this is ultimately my decision but I am indecisive in general! I really want to get this procedure this summer and I know that I need to send in my money ASAP in order to secure the date that I want. I have been having a difficult time sleeping over this. I just really need support and guidance. I am 5’5 and 309 lbs. I’m superobese and something needs to be done but I just feel like I am taking a lot of risks and that may be worth it in the end and necessary but I’m scared.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should I do this? Help!

Fear is completely normal, if you weren't a little scared I would think there was something wrong. To get the most out of sleeve you will have to make a huge lifestyle change. Pain for me wasn't bad at all after surgery the worst for me was the tube they had up my nose and down my throat which made me gag but not everyone gets that and the drain stitch that popped on day 6. I cant tell you what to do but for me it has been the best thing I have ever done in my life. I was 278 lbs the day of surgery I didnt have any real complications. I had a stitch break on my drain and that caused pain in my chest which the ER checked out and gave me pain meds to get me threw till I went to the surgeon the next day to have the drain removed. But I have had my sleeve five and a half years and I am maintaining very well between 170lbs and 190lbs. I have had major stress eating issues in the past and for a short time i fell into alcohol since my sleeve which put 40 lbs back on but as soon as I realized it was causing weight gain I stopped and lost again. You have to work at your lifestyle changes after sleeve but that is with any thing you do to lose weight and keep it off. This is not a miracle surgery that will just make you lose weight but it is so worth the effort you put in. But it has helped me keep off 300 lbs. This picture is from 2007 in the biggest pic and I was 478 lbs. the second was the day of surgery at 278 on September 13 2011 and the last pic was taken around the first of August 2016.
    Changes in me since 2007.jpg
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    What am I worried about?

1. The pain right after surgery. I have heard some people say that they had little to no pain (including my mom’s friend who is in her late 60’s). I have people say it feels like an incredible amount of pressure but manageable. Some say that they were in an incredible amount of pain right after surgery for 1-2 days, etc,
    2. The pain post op (in general). Again, I have heard people experience minimal to no pain, once in awhile, and some say they are almost always in pain. Am I going to be throwing up , constipated, and/or sick to my stomach for the rest of my life? Is this common? I also heard some people have difficulty swallowing and it being painful going down. IS heartburn common?
    3. Complications. I am concerned about potential leaks, blood clots, bleeding etc
    4. Feeling regretful. I don’t want to wake up and panic. I know someone who had a panic attack when she woke up from surgery.
    5. Does your sleeve feel “weird” in your body initially?
    6. Long Term Maintenance (I have the commitment) but have their been any studies?
    7. Food and Nutrition-I hope it wont be too painful for me to eat and be able to get the nutrients that I need.
    Let's take your questions one by one

1.Pain right after surgery for me was around level 6 quickly controlled with morphine after the first day I asked to be taken off morphine as the pain other then from gas was minimal.

2.Post op pain for me I had more from gas then from the surgery it self, walking helped reduce the gas and along with some gas x it was gone within the week. Prior to surgery I suffered from GERD which is a severe for of acid reflux, since my surgery I have experience minimal reflux. Swallowing was only a issue for me the first day as long as you eat/drink slowly and listen to what your body is telling you I doubt you will have trouble. Constipation for me yes for about a week which is common for me after anesthesia.

3.Leaks are rare less then 1%, I did develope one blood blot at one of my incision points wasn't a big issue.

4.I can not speak to this as I did not experience it in any form, although my wife suffers from anxiety and panic attacks so I know what they look like.

5.I couldn't even tell it was done.

6.Yes there are a couple long term studies, findings are showing while weight loss is slower and slightly less with the sleeve as opposed to bypass, weight gain after the loss is less. No long term effects have been reported in enough numbers as the date of my surgery according to my surgeon.

7.Follow the plan your nutritionist sets up for you take your vitamins and there shouldn't be any problems getting everything in your body requires.

I believe if you stay your current path you are putting yourself far more at risk then with the surgery. I had a BMI of 51.6 had no other health issues because of my weight other then that. I did have long term concerns of Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritist of my joints because the weight I was carrying and worse of all increase risk of heart attack in my future. All of which to me was more worrisome then having this surgery. You if you decide to have the surgery will be under going a major operation so being scared is natural. Just my 2 cents on the subject best wishes and have a speedy recovery if you pick this option.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The only severe pain I had was when they woke me up after surgery, that was bad! But after that the pain was very minimal. I was in the hospital one hight, home a week basically sleeping when I wasn't taking little walks and drinking my protein shakes. My second week my life got back to normal, I still rested but got out and did more. After 2 weeks I was back to work with no issues.

I'm three years out and living a normal life as a normal sized person. We eat out all the time, I just make good choices. I can eat so much more than at the beginning, so no worries about nutrients or anything. (I still take my bariatric vitamins!) I got to goal and stayed there. I feel I do it by weighing myself every day, so if I happen to be up a pound or two, I do something about it immediately. I think the most I was up was 4 pounds, and that was after hosting my kids and grandkids for Christmas and baking up a storm. Those pounds came off easily by getting back on track to what I should be eating.

And I'm totally not perfect! I have never counted anything except liquids and protein. We still go out for pizza and I'll have a good sized piece, or one taco, or whatever. I even tried that little Big Mac recently and ate almost all of it. (Probably won't do that again, it wasn't as good as I remembered!) But the majority of the time I eat how I should. Works for me.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Regarding your title question, you already know you are the only one who can decide to undergo WLS.

Regarding questions 1-4, you had some fantastic answers regarding pain in your previous post last week, you should revisit those answers for consideration.
    You also mentioned in another post that you experience bipolar depression and anxiety. There were some well thought out answers from veteran sleevers on that post as well. I learned a lot myself.

Regarding q5 and 7, I personally do not feel a void or as if something is amiss in my abdomen, all my incisions have disappeared or blended wel with my overly stretched marked mommy tummy. Having said that, the only difference I felt was when I ate or drank early post op from day 1 to maybe a seldom feeling now if I took a bite too much. The feeling of being overstuffed turkey when only taking a few bites of food is what I can related it to. But you can definitely avoid by following one simple rule well two... CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW and do not drink or sip on water during your meals. The first one is for life! You want to absorb the most out your nutrients then you MUST ALWAYS chew and when you think you chewed enough keep chewing. Chewing creates saliva that have the enzymes to break down food before it hits your stomach. Also chewing your food well, will assist in helping your stomach send those full signals to your brain to let you know you are full. You have to get to know your internal body well and listen to those signals. My nutritionist taught me to just eat a few tablespoons at a time. Wait to see how I feel, and take another one or two bites (chewed well) and wait to feel. That my friend takes patience and discipline. I learned my lesson the first couple of times I didn't follow those rules because feeling like an over stuffed turkey is no fun and very uncomfortable for about 20-30min. If you are prone to panic attacks you should discuss an action plan with your Bariatric team and your psych team.

Re q6... that's a soapbox for me... I will let others answer that, also because I'm 10.5 months post op and just beginning my own journey, BUT I do offer that you connect with the active veterans here and talk to them about their long term maintenance/and PERSONAL and INDIVIDUAL successes. The other thing I will say invest in the full body composition (like the DeXA bone density, muscle and fat mass composition) and BMR exams (a ten minute breathing gadget to determine how much calories your individual body needs) to determine where your personal health, weight loss and well being goals could/should be and use those measures to execute an action plan, that includes a nutrient and protein dense diet, supplements such multivitamins and enzymes for life, drinking lots of fresh and pure water, commitment to developing stress management and selfcare skills through social or professional support for life long success.

And lastly I offer this picture of my only regret was not doing this surgery sooner!

IMG_2117.JPG
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Everyone has different experiences and tolerates pain different. That's what makes us all unique. The complication rate for this surgery is very small, but like every surgery, complications occur. I'm sure if you keep asking you'll find someone that had almost every possible complication. I know you indicated you were going to Mexico for your surgery, but you might want to look into attending a free bariatric surgery seminar at a local hospital. Most have former patients to explain their experiences and are available for questions.

I did not have any complications, pain was minimal and no issues with getting the nutrients I need. I followed the pre and post op plan I was given and have no regrets having the surgery.

If you're not 100% positive you're ready to make a lifestyle change to be successful, I would suggest waiting until you are ready.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

13. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    09-23-2020 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

I don't like to tell people what to do, but I'll tell you what I've chosen and why.

About two years ago I joined this helpful forum and learned about every aspect of getting sleeved. I found the cost an insurmountable issue. Soon thereafter I learned about keto (low carb/high fat). I didn't think it made much sense, but gave it a fair go. After the first 15 pounds, I started to think there might be something to the science. I organized the gazillion recipes available online, recorded my food on MFP (an Ann2 legacy lesson [grins]), and have lost 60 pounds without suffering hunger or adding to my exercise. My weight-tracking graph predicts I'm going to keep losing (haven't hit the flattening arc on the bell curve yet), and I think I'll probably keep losing for two years more if I keep eating at my very comfortable 1,650 calorie average. Note this is no way near the warp 3 speed of the sleeve.

I'll add that I'm 61 years old, have never been of normal weight, and am not an emotional eater.

Since you have months to go, you could explore LCHF. It will, at minimum, be an educational experience. It might lighten you up, preparing you for an easier surgery. Maybe you'll decide you aren't ready for a sleeve? Do whatever feels right to you.

Keep in mind, whether sleeve or LCHF, you should obey all the rules, not just some of them. Your success and your health could be compromised.

Gastric Sleeve Member kinipela24's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Fear is completely normal, if you weren't a little scared I would think there was something wrong. To get the most out of sleeve you will have to make a huge lifestyle change. Pain for me wasn't bad at all after surgery the worst for me was the tube they had up my nose and down my throat which made me gag but not everyone gets that and the drain stitch that popped on day 6. I cant tell you what to do but for me it has been the best thing I have ever done in my life. I was 278 lbs the day of surgery I didnt have any real complications. I had a stitch break on my drain and that caused pain in my chest which the ER checked out and gave me pain meds to get me threw till I went to the surgeon the next day to have the drain removed. But I have had my sleeve five and a half years and I am maintaining very well between 170lbs and 190lbs. I have had major stress eating issues in the past and for a short time i fell into alcohol since my sleeve which put 40 lbs back on but as soon as I realized it was causing weight gain I stopped and lost again. You have to work at your lifestyle changes after sleeve but that is with any thing you do to lose weight and keep it off. This is not a miracle surgery that will just make you lose weight but it is so worth the effort you put in. But it has helped me keep off 300 lbs. This picture is from 2007 in the biggest pic and I was 478 lbs. the second was the day of surgery at 278 on September 13 2011 and the last pic was taken around the first of August 2016.
    Changes in me since 2007.jpg
    Wow your success is an inspiration. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. That was very informative.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    The only severe pain I had was when they woke me up after surgery, that was bad! But after that the pain was very minimal. I was in the hospital one hight, home a week basically sleeping when I wasn't taking little walks and drinking my protein shakes. My second week my life got back to normal, I still rested but got out and did more. After 2 weeks I was back to work with no issues.

I'm three years out and living a normal life as a normal sized person. We eat out all the time, I just make good choices. I can eat so much more than at the beginning, so no worries about nutrients or anything. (I still take my bariatric vitamins!) I got to goal and stayed there. I feel I do it by weighing myself every day, so if I happen to be up a pound or two, I do something about it immediately. I think the most I was up was 4 pounds, and that was after hosting my kids and grandkids for Christmas and baking up a storm. Those pounds came off easily by getting back on track to what I should be eating.

And I'm totally not perfect! I have never counted anything except liquids and protein. We still go out for pizza and I'll have a good sized piece, or one taco, or whatever. I even tried that little Big Mac recently and ate almost all of it. (Probably won't do that again, it wasn't as good as I remembered!) But the majority of the time I eat how I should. Works for me.
    You were up 4 lbs just rom ONE Day? Do people with sleeves gain weight that much more rapidly? I was thinking I woul weight myself once a week. However, thank you for your candid and thoughtful response and congratulations to youoin your success!

Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    Regarding your title question, you already know you are the only one who can decide to undergo WLS.

Regarding questions 1-4, you had some fantastic answers regarding pain in your previous post last week, you should revisit those answers for consideration.
    You also mentioned in another post that you experience bipolar depression and anxiety. There were some well thought out answers from veteran sleevers on that post as well. I learned a lot myself.

Regarding q5 and 7, I personally do not feel a void or as if something is amiss in my abdomen, all my incisions have disappeared or blended wel with my overly stretched marked mommy tummy. Having said that, the only difference I felt was when I ate or drank early post op from day 1 to maybe a seldom feeling now if I took a bite too much. The feeling of being overstuffed turkey when only taking a few bites of food is what I can related it to. But you can definitely avoid by following one simple rule well two... CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW and do not drink or sip on water during your meals. The first one is for life! You want to absorb the most out your nutrients then you MUST ALWAYS chew and when you think you chewed enough keep chewing. Chewing creates saliva that have the enzymes to break down food before it hits your stomach. Also chewing your food well, will assist in helping your stomach send those full signals to your brain to let you know you are full. You have to get to know your internal body well and listen to those signals. My nutritionist taught me to just eat a few tablespoons at a time. Wait to see how I feel, and take another one or two bites (chewed well) and wait to feel. That my friend takes patience and discipline. I learned my lesson the first couple of times I didn't follow those rules because feeling like an over stuffed turkey is no fun and very uncomfortable for about 20-30min. If you are prone to panic attacks you should discuss an action plan with your Bariatric team and your psych team.

Re q6... that's a soapbox for me... I will let others answer that, also because I'm 10.5 months post op and just beginning my own journey, BUT I do offer that you connect with the active veterans here and talk to them about their long term maintenance/and PERSONAL and INDIVIDUAL successes. The other thing I will say invest in the full body composition (like the DeXA bone density, muscle and fat mass composition) and BMR exams (a ten minute breathing gadget to determine how much calories your individual body needs) to determine where your personal health, weight loss and well being goals could/should be and use those measures to execute an action plan, that includes a nutrient and protein dense diet, supplements such multivitamins and enzymes for life, drinking lots of fresh and pure water, commitment to developing stress management and selfcare skills through social or professional support for life long success.

And lastly I offer this picture of my only regret was not doing this surgery sooner!

IMG_2117.JPG
    Wow congratulations you look great! You are right I have posted some of this before and I have felt very blessed to have been given some very thoughtful replies. I was just feeling an increible amount of anxiety last night and typing out all of my concerns (redundant or not) was cathartic for me. I am still navigating how to use this site and I can't wait to give words of wisdom to others when I start my journey. Thank you for all of your informative and kind words. I appreciate it!

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    Wow congratulations you look great! You are right I have posted some of this before and I have felt very blessed to have been given some very thoughtful replies. I was just feeling an increible amount of anxiety last night and typing out all of my concerns (redundant or not) was cathartic for me. I am still navigating how to use this site and I can't wait to give words of wisdom to others when I start my journey. Thank you for all of your informative and kind words. I appreciate it!
    There is blog option for all of us and that's what I started using to just vent my feelings.

Best wishes.

Post-Op Weight:
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

No, I gained the 4 pounds over Christmas break. We had a house full (my mom, three kids, spouses, and 5 grandkids) for most of my 2 weeks off school. While I typically have no junk in my house, I was baking cookies, cakes, even fudge. But yes, it is easy to gain weight back! But I got back on track right away.

In the beginning you can barely eat anything, now at 3 years out I can eat much more. So I have to be much more careful!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

This is your decision to make. You have to weigh the pros and cons as they pertain to you. I personally had some pain but nothing too hard to handle and only took my prescribed pain meds like 3x the first week and nothing after that. I think most answers you are looking for can be found at www.obesitycoverage.com

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

You already gotten great info. By I will tell you I only needed pain meds 3x's at the very beginning after that all I took was an anti inflammatory called toradol for two weeks. My doctor wanted me to take it for inflammation. I was up walking as soon has I was fully awake. Week two I was walking up to 7 miles a day. This as been pretty easy. Only time it was hard was the first hour right after surgery I was vomiting. The nurses got it stoped. I felt much much better. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Make sure your ready to make lifestyle change so you'll be successful. Good luck
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Blog Entries

Sooo... I just noticed that I said I was 10.5 months post op, but I realized this morning that I'm actually 9.5+ months post op. My ten month sleeversary is March 17th.

Post-Op Weight: