Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Exclamation Leak complications

My story is a little different on how we got here, but I could really use some insight. Aug 8, 2016 my mom was rushed to the hospital in Jersey while on vacation. She presented with a perforated ulcer. After 5 hrs in surgery, they said her hernia repair had flipped and strangulated her stomach. He repaired the hernia, but 25% of her stomach was dead and necrotic, so he basically performed a gastric sleeve. 2 days out they discovered a leak. She went too and was transferred back to our local hospital under the care of the surgeon who did her initial hernia repair. He brought on the bariatric surgeon along with a thoracic surgeon. They placed many drains, she remained npo, and they said it just needed time to heal. During this time she developed a fistula. Oct 7th she had a massive surgery where they cleaned out the pleural cavity, inserted more drains, and out a tube through the fistula making it "controlled". After 116 days in the hospital, she was finally released on Dec 12th. She has a jtube in her small bowel and receives tube feeding. Still npo. These last 7 months have been complete hell. She's back in the hospital for the 3rd time because the drains keep shifting. Her g tube popped out some, causing the stomach fluids to make the fistula larger. They're now talking about another massive surgery, possibly removing her stomach. Has anyone remotely had anything close to what she's gone through? I understand she didn't go into this with the intention of having a gastric sleeve, but I know these complications are ones that happen from it. Any advice anyone can give would be so helpful.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nicole
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gerig
    Last Activity
    03-23-2017 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Leak complications

So very sorry to hear of all this. I in fact had the sleeve and developed a leak and was in patient 267 days with 19 procedures and surgeries, NPO for 18 months also PICC line and J-Tube feedings. I did not have the fistula however I had lots of other issues and ended up in Cleveland Clinic for week and also Cincinnati hospital and both surgeons wanted to do the same and remove all of my stomach to stop the leaks and help improve things. I opted out of that and prayed for a miracle. After 4 times on life support, all my surgeries, time being NPO and everything I developed an opiate addiction and Anorexia. I battle with the Anorexia daily but have been clean from opiates for 15 months. I am not sure what help I can provide but I am here if you have questions or anything!
    Wishing you the best!
    -Nicole

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Oh my gosh Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear all this. So did your leak ever heal by remaining npo?

Name
    Nicole
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gerig
    Last Activity
    03-23-2017 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thank you. Yes it did heal in about 10 months with J-Tube and being NPO the entire time. I also had a drain tube in place near the J-Tube and every 8 weeks they went in to downsize the tube size which allowed my leaking "new" stomach to heal around it until it closed all the way with the removal of the drain tube. Don't lose hope it does happen. Just be sure she stays 100% NPO to it doesn't irritate it more or anything. Hope this gives you some hope!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Keri1278 View Post
    My story is a little different on how we got here, but I could really use some insight. Aug 8, 2016 my mom was rushed to the hospital in Jersey while on vacation. She presented with a perforated ulcer. After 5 hrs in surgery, they said her hernia repair had flipped and strangulated her stomach. He repaired the hernia, but 25% of her stomach was dead and necrotic, so he basically performed a gastric sleeve. 2 days out they discovered a leak. She went too and was transferred back to our local hospital under the care of the surgeon who did her initial hernia repair. He brought on the bariatric surgeon along with a thoracic surgeon. They placed many drains, she remained npo, and they said it just needed time to heal. During this time she developed a fistula. Oct 7th she had a massive surgery where they cleaned out the pleural cavity, inserted more drains, and out a tube through the fistula making it "controlled". After 116 days in the hospital, she was finally released on Dec 12th. She has a jtube in her small bowel and receives tube feeding. Still npo. These last 7 months have been complete hell. She's back in the hospital for the 3rd time because the drains keep shifting. Her g tube popped out some, causing the stomach fluids to make the fistula larger. They're now talking about another massive surgery, possibly removing her stomach. Has anyone remotely had anything close to what she's gone through? I understand she didn't go into this with the intention of having a gastric sleeve, but I know these complications are ones that happen from it. Any advice anyone can give would be so helpful.
    I've had leaks too, I'm at work, but I'll PM when I get off... Big hugs!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Oh thank you Lisa, I look forward to hearing from you!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear your mother has been through so much. Good luck to you all.