Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    08-08-2017 12:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Single and Getting the Sleeve

I am considering getting the gastric sleeve but I do not have a boyfriend, husband, kids, or close family nearby. My best friend said she would be with me every step of the way and will even spend the night in the hospital with me but she has her own life and lives about 30 mins away. My mom lives in Hawaii but will definitely be supportive via phone and when she can come visit me, she will. I do have a friend that lives only a few miles, a nice neighbor, and caring friends to talk to. I also have a psychologist, psychiatrist, and am looking into wls support groups. Anyone else in this situation who has had the surgery? I seem to only read posts about people who are in relationships or live with family. I guess they don't like big girls in Los Angeles! Please let me know if anyone can relate to this and how you are doing. Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Single and Getting the Sleeve

I'm single, no kids. My nearest family is 1200 miles away. I've got a couple friends and a work partner that live in the same town, but like you said, they have their own lives. I live in a very small, rural community (10,000 people in the entire county), so pretty much zero structured bariatric-related support. I had surgery in Mexico Dec 2013. Travelled by myself to and from but my sister did meet me in TJ and hung out with me for the 3 days I was there (we had a blast!). I came home to an empty house and cared for my horses, dogs and cats with no help. I had a friend come over and shovel snow but that's about it.

My friends and family were supportive and encouraged me from afar and I was fine with that. My surgeon and his staff were available to answer questions via phone and email and my PCP provides followup blood work. I got support through online forums, I read a lot of self help books and went through an online addiction recovery program (www.smartrecovery.org). I finally started seeing a therapist about 1 1/2 years postop but that was mostly for depression and grief after losing my best friend to suicide.

I am over 3 years out and doing great. Lost all my excess weight, am maintaining within 5 pounds of my low weight and just living a normal life. So yes, we single fat chicks can do this! Sounds like you recognize the importance of mental and psychological support and are taking the right steps, so you are already far ahead of a lot of people that stumble unprepared into WLS. Good luck and just know that you are not alone.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member kinipela24's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    I'm single, no kids. My nearest family is 1200 miles away. I've got a couple friends and a work partner that live in the same town, but like you said, they have their own lives. I live in a very small, rural community (10,000 people in the entire county), so pretty much zero structured bariatric-related support. I had surgery in Mexico Dec 2013. Travelled by myself to and from but my sister did meet me in TJ and hung out with me for the 3 days I was there (we had a blast!). I came home to an empty house and cared for my horses, dogs and cats with no help. I had a friend come over and shovel snow but that's about it.

My friends and family were supportive and encouraged me from afar and I was fine with that. My surgeon and his staff were available to answer questions via phone and email and my PCP provides followup blood work. I got support through online forums, I read a lot of self help books and went through an online addiction recovery program (www.smartrecovery.org). I finally started seeing a therapist about 1 1/2 years postop but that was mostly for depression and grief after losing my best friend to suicide.

I am over 3 years out and doing great. Lost all my excess weight, am maintaining within 5 pounds of my low weight and just living a normal life. So yes, we single fat chicks can do this! Sounds like you recognize the importance of mental and psychological support and are taking the right steps, so you are already far ahead of a lot of people that stumble unprepared into WLS. Good luck and just know that you are not alone.
    Thanks a lot and congrats on your success! I have to be concerned about mental support because I suffer fro bipolar disorder. I have an extra barrier and don't know how my body, mind, or meds will react to the surgery. I am very confused and concerned but I am also 309 lbs! I wish I didn't have this extra barrier but I do. Oh woe is me! jk jk lol Thanks for such a kind and supportive reply!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

You'll be ok. I'm married, I have a 9 year old. My husband took me to the hospital and stayed until I was in my room. Then I sent him home because I wanted him to get our daughter from school and for her afternoon and evening to be normal and undisturbed. I was fine alone at the hospital. The staff was great. I walked and slept. Only 2 other people even knew that I was going to have this surgery. Both of them had it and are part of my support system. so there are 3 people total that knew and a week after surgery I also told my brother. As long as you have some support, and it sounds like you do, you're going to be ok! I felt like I just didn't want a lot of people to know because I don't want their opinions :-)

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    Thanks a lot and congrats on your success! I have to be concerned about mental support because I suffer fro bipolar disorder. I have an extra barrier and don't know how my body, mind, or meds will react to the surgery. I am very confused and concerned but I am also 309 lbs! I wish I didn't have this extra barrier but I do. Oh woe is me! jk jk lol Thanks for such a kind and supportive reply!
    I think you will be fine as long as your psychiatric team is supportive and able to be flexible as you progress. I'm assuming they are aware of and on board with your decision. Hopefully they have (or will) familiarize themselves with any special requirements of VSG patients. My younger brother was bipolar and the guy I just started seeing 4 months ago is, too, so I do appreciate the additional challenge you have. But I also think you will find strength in taking control of this aspect of your life.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

You don't need to live with someone to have the surgery. As long as you have some support you will be fine. Just make sure you get the continued support of you psychiatrist and psychologist.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Pattimelt's Avatar
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

Hi, I think you will be fine with the surgery. I'm married, and have grandkids five hours away, but in the end, we ARE all by ourselves in having the surgery. It's our own bodies and no one can help with that. It seems as though you have a good emotional support system, and that's of the utmost importance I would think. I have a friend, a nurse, that lives alone and went by herself to have the surgery in Mexico. She told no one for many months and returned to work in four days.

I'm having the surgery in April, and aside from my husband, don't really have many friends where I live, except church friends. I'll be alone after surgery too. I'm lucky my small family is supportive, but they live in different states. This forum will probably serve as my best support, it is invaluable.

Good luck with your decision, I wish you nothing but peace.
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member albloomfield's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Villarreal
    Last Activity
    10-31-2017 01:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I'm single no kids, drive a semi for a living and on the road and on my own a lot. Had the surgery in Juarez Mexico, my dad flew down to be with me during surgery and we drove the semi home.

I'm on my own a lot but got people I can talk too. My sister had a friend who had the same surgery and I've talked to her, any questions or concerns, also been supportive.

Really the first day is the toughest, if you've got a friend to be there to help you recover after surgery I think you will be good. After that just having people you can talk too should be good.

This surgery is going to change your life for good, don't let these fears prevent you from going through this. I'm 11 days post surgery and I'm feeling great. The weight is just coming off and physically I'm feeling pretty normal.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a single, childless female who lives alone. I drove myself home from the hospital after being sleeved nearly two years ago (mine was a same-day procedure). My extended family lives out of state.

I lost my excess weight without the help of family, friends, neighbors, or structured support groups. I suppose it depends on your personality and coping skills, but I am not the type of person who likes to be bothered by others.

Good luck to you!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Blog Entries

Gastric Sleeve Member kinipela24's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pattimelt View Post
    Hi, I think you will be fine with the surgery. I'm married, and have grandkids five hours away, but in the end, we ARE all by ourselves in having the surgery. It's our own bodies and no one can help with that. It seems as though you have a good emotional support system, and that's of the utmost importance I would think. I have a friend, a nurse, that lives alone and went by herself to have the surgery in Mexico. She told no one for many months and returned to work in four days.

I'm having the surgery in April, and aside from my husband, don't really have many friends where I live, except church friends. I'll be alone after surgery too. I'm lucky my small family is supportive, but they live in different states. This forum will probably serve as my best support, it is invaluable.

Good luck with your decision, I wish you nothing but peace.
    Thank you so Much!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AmandaNavigator's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Silvia Fresco
    Last Activity
    07-20-2019 08:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer,

I'm in the same boat. Single, live alone, and work from home. My immediate family lives 800 miles away. When I was filling out my living will/advanced directive it really hit me that I am on my own. I have a good friend who lives in Brooklyn who will be taking me to/from the hospital 3/13 but other than that I don't have any plans for additional support. I keep telling myself that I chose to live here and except for circumstances like these I really haven't worried about being on my own.

To help myself be successful, I have been on the hunt for a psychologist per Ann2's advice and have worked to make my environment supportive eg purged any foods that won't be appropriate afterwards. I also found out that my insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield, has a program where they pay you $20/mo if you go to your gym at least 12x/month. I figure incentives are always good.

I think RehabNurse is correct. It's really about you and your personality. Since you're out West because you chose it, I'm confident you'll do just fine.

Good luck--I on my pre-op diet and excited to move forward!

Amanda

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    I am not the type of person who likes to be bothered by others.
    This portion makes you sound like my female counterpart lol.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-