Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    08-08-2017 12:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Surgery in Mexico Post-Op care

I am very interested in getting my procedure done by Dr. Corvala in Tijuana. I feel confident in my choice. I have a question for other people who had it done in Mexico, how do you handle your post op care when you can't do follow-ups with your surgeon? It doesn't seem ideal. Also, most surgeons here I know have a built in support group that they go to etc. I have found a support group in my area that is run by a psychologist but it costs money. It my be worth it if I can afford it. It is only a few miles from my apartment. Do you follow-up with your PCP? What if there is a problem when your surgeon is in another country? I hope you can shed some light. Thank you.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Default Re: Surgery in Mexico Post-Op care

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    What if there is a problem when your surgeon is in another country? I hope you can shed some light. Thank you.
    I can't speak to the rest as I did not have surgery in Mexico. One of the main reasons was because if I had any complications my insurance would not cover it. This was a major concern for me even though the odds of complications are something like 1%.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgeon and his staff (including a dietician) was available via telephone and emails for all the little questions and concerns I had. My PCP does all of my bloodwork, based on my surgeon's recommendations. My OB/Gyn also volunteered to do it as well. That's the only medical followup I've ever needed.

My insurance specifically excludes WLS and any complications resulting from WLS so nothing would have been covered whether I had surgery in the US or on Mars. A serious complication would have cost me my job and likely bankrupted me. It was a risk I was willing to take and is why I spent 6 months researching and chose the best surgeon I could find (including every bariatric surgeon within 200 miles of my home). Dr. Ariel Ortiz's experience and credentials left the US surgeons looking like bumbling idiots. BTW, Dr. Corvala was my second choice, it basically came down to facilities.

Talk to your PCP or other Doctor so you at least have someone who can refer you if you do have problems. As for psychological support, that is very important too. I saw a private therapist and credit my success as much to her mental tools as I do to my sleeve. The online bariatric forums give me a touchstone to other patients going through the same stuff.

Good luck!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I followed up with primary care for labs and suture removal. My doctor did a referral to met with a R.D that takes care of my local hospital bariatric surgery patients and I contacted the hospital and found a weight loss support group that meets once a month. Set to try next week.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery in the US but I can honestly say that there is nothing earth shattering with my follow up appointments. My blood work I do with my PCP. My surgeon's office just sees me, takes my weight/vitals, asks me how I am feeling and if I have any concerns. I saw my surgeon a week post op, a month post op, and my next follow up is March 10th which will put just past 4 months. (Was sleeved 11/3/16.) Just inform yourself now with your PCP and local doctors to see if they are willing to assist with follow up care.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ShariBerry's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr, Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    06-10-2019 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    I am very interested in getting my procedure done by Dr. Corvala in Tijuana. I feel confident in my choice. I have a question for other people who had it done in Mexico, how do you handle your post op care when you can't do follow-ups with your surgeon? It doesn't seem ideal. Also, most surgeons here I know have a built in support group that they go to etc. I have found a support group in my area that is run by a psychologist but it costs money. It my be worth it if I can afford it. It is only a few miles from my apartment. Do you follow-up with your PCP? What if there is a problem when your surgeon is in another country? I hope you can shed some light. Thank you.
    How did your surgery go? I see you switched and went with Dr. Illian instead of Dr. Corvala. How has your post op care been handled? Have you joined a support group? I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Corvala in about a month and have some of your same concerns.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I used Dr. Almanza in TJ. and I was one of the 1%.. Not the super rich 1% that everyone in the US hates, but the 1% that had a complication.
    What you probably don't think about is that even though the complication rate is 1% most of those complications arise right after surgery as mine did not months later.

I was operated on on Friday afternoon. So, the hospital was closed on Saturday and Sunday. Once the nurses at the hotel (They work 24/7) realized there was an issue that I was bleeding too much. They called the surgeon Dr. Almanza. He called his entire surgical staff back into the hospital on Saturday Afternoon and within 1 hour I was back on the operating table. They even had a nurse there with me 24 hours a day (Just for me) after my 2nd surgery for the entire weekend to make sure I was in good hands.

I can't see this happening in the US.. A surgeon coming in on his day off to do a surgery. Good luck with that.

If you are concerned about complications in Mexico I would recommend staying 3-4 days longer in the hospital . The nurses are there and will monitor any problems you may have and it's only about $70 for extra days.

I am not familar with your Doctor but Dr. Almanza has done my surgery 3 weeks ago, my mother's Sleeve 4 years ago, and my sister's 1 year go and my brother that is going to be needing it in about 2 years won't go to anyone but Dr. A.

PG

Gastric Sleeve Member SapphireLevaou's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2018 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PokerGuy View Post
    I used Dr. Almanza in TJ. and I was one of the 1%.. Not the super rich 1% that everyone in the US hates, but the 1% that had a complication.
    What you probably don't think about is that even though the complication rate is 1% most of those complications arise right after surgery as mine did not months later.

I was operated on on Friday afternoon. So, the hospital was closed on Saturday and Sunday. Once the nurses at the hotel (They work 24/7) realized there was an issue that I was bleeding too much. They called the surgeon Dr. Almanza. He called his entire surgical staff back into the hospital on Saturday Afternoon and within 1 hour I was back on the operating table. They even had a nurse there with me 24 hours a day (Just for me) after my 2nd surgery for the entire weekend to make sure I was in good hands.

I can't see this happening in the US.. A surgeon coming in on his day off to do a surgery. Good luck with that.

If you are concerned about complications in Mexico I would recommend staying 3-4 days longer in the hospital . The nurses are there and will monitor any problems you may have and it's only about $70 for extra days.

I am not familar with your Doctor but Dr. Almanza has done my surgery 3 weeks ago, my mother's Sleeve 4 years ago, and my sister's 1 year go and my brother that is going to be needing it in about 2 years won't go to anyone but Dr. A.

PG
    Im so glad you said this because I am having mine next June/July and know that he does this type of thing is just remarkable and gives me reassurance that I chose the right surgeon for my sleeve.

15. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I'm a year out from my surgery and just went back to TJ to have some lipo and a few touchups(from a different surgeron) But Almanza is building his own hospital with attached hotel. The hospital is open now but not the hotel side. All should be open by your surgery time. Don't worry you are in very good hands.
    MP

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-15-2019 07:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing. I am in the process of having surgery performed by Dr. Almanza. I am nervous but I am moving forward. So your primary care removed your sutures did you arrange that before the surgery or after?

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Krstal02 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I am in the process of having surgery performed by Dr. Almanza. I am nervous but I am moving forward. So your primary care removed your sutures did you arrange that before the surgery or after?
    Hi Krystal, I arranged to have my sutures out when I returned from Mexico. You’re in for an amazing ride and your going to wonder why you waited so long. I’m excited for you and I congratulate you for making this life saying surgery. Also TJ built a brand new hospital since I had my surgery and now Dr Almanza and his team our performing the Sleeve surgeries there. It is beautiful. I really liked Dr Almanza and his team. You will be in great hands. Best decision I ever made. I also really liked the nurses and Dr at the Hotel you will stay at. The hotel was nice and the Staff were great too. Couldn’t have been any better. They also truck in ice from the states so you can safely have ice chips. 1BB278FB-2ACD-4215-8E74-B80ECA39D84A.jpeg20ED9A1B-9141-42E8-ADE3-7CE513D05254.jpeg I’m happy to answer any questions. Good Luck with everything.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos