Surgeon
    Dr. Wayne Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    08-02-2017 08:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Nervous

I have been looking into gastric sleeve and getting this done by Dr. Mario Almanza in Tijuana Mexico. I am looking for some input on wither or not this is a good Idea to go out of the states to have this done. If anyone has any input on this Dr. and the journey they had with him would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Pattimelt's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

Default Re: Nervous

Hi Lori, I'm having surgery with Dr. Almanza on April 19. Lots of others have had him do their sleeves also. I personally know three people in my circle of friends who have had him do their surgeries. Everyone said it was a great experience and they'd do it all over again. I get nervous and excited when I think about my upcoming surgery, but I have all those positive experiences to give me encouragement. There's actually a Dr. Almanza forum in here, but I don't know how active it is right now. You might check it out anyway.

When are you having surgery? I'm sure all will go well and you'll do fine. Dr. Almanza has done 10 or 15,000 weight loss surgeries, according to something I read, so I think you're in good hands. Keep reading these forums, they are an invaluable source of information. Cheers, Patti
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

4. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wayne Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    08-02-2017 08:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you Patti! I do not have a surgery date yet. I am just looking into it and thought I would feel out others experiences prior to my final decision. I have thought about this for years but have never gotten this close before. I think this is what I need to do for myself as I have back issues and the plus side is that I will feel and look better too and even though my kids are almost out of the house I will be able to do what I have always wanted to do with my husband before we had kids and travel.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement!

Gastric Sleeve Member Pattimelt's Avatar
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

You're so welcome Lori! I'm older, 58, and have been struggling with my weight nearly all of my life. The last 20 years I've just been steadily gaining, but I want the last years of my life to be spent in a healthy, strong body. I want to avoid all the comorbidities and diseases that go along with obesity, which, luckily, I've avoided so far. I want to climb stairs and be able to play with my grandchildren. I want to move freely and be without all the aches and pains that accompany obesity. I hate the word obesity! I can hardly wait to get sleeved and start the next chapter of my life. And I don't want to go on any more stinkin diets; just making healthy food choices, one day at a time, utilizing my new sleeve.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you'll check in often. This is the best place to be! Patti
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The only thing I can suggest about a Mexico sleeve is make sure your primary care physician is aware and is willing to work with you afterwards. I had my sleeve in the US but I do see some people having issues with the after care. That is just my 2 cents. But most people who go to Mexico have no issues at all as well as those who are sleeved in the US. No matter where you go, there is the potential for complications. Just be sure you know the risks involved and inform yourself. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat but I was well informed so I while I hoped for the best I knew the possibilities. I found a lot of good info on www.obesitycoverage.com. Good luck!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Hello, my name is Lisa. I had a gastric sleeve in Mexico on 1-3-17 and I have had horrible complications ever since. I went to the doctor today and got a little good news. The material that leaked out of my stomach before I got stents in has disapated and I don't have an infection. I do still have a blood clot in the portal vein to my liver though. Since I have the stents in my stomach I'm having a really hard time taking my blood thinner though. I can't hardly eat or drink anything. I get my stents out for a second time on 3-8-17, I pray my stomach will be healed. Don't get me wrong I don't want to discourage you from having surgery, I want you to start your new life. Please make sure like Christy13 said, make sure your primary care provider is on board with your surgery in Mexico. I've a had some trouble getting the treatment I need back here in the states. Doctors don't want to take over someone else's mistakes. All that being said, everyone that was down there at the same time as me, about 10 or so people are all fine. My coworker that went about a year ago and referred me to weight loss agents and Mexico is just fine also. I've heard the complication rate is less than 1%, I think I was just very unlucky, I'm sure you'll be fine. My prayers are with you...

Name
    April
    Surgery date
    11/09/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    03-11-2020 04:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery with Dr Almanza''s associate. I had a great experience. My primary was involved in preparation and post open care.
    Complications are possible, but not probable.
    I am down 88 pounds sick Nov 9th. I highly recommend having the surgery.

"I'm not losing weight! I have no intention of finding it again!" - Author unknown

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I had mine in June 2012 and lost what I wanted and kept it off. You'll read good and bad on any doctor. Complications can arise with anyone and any doctor and I always look to see if the person themselves cause the issues with eating the wrong things or their starting weight etc.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Lori, I had surgery by Dr Almanza in January 2017. It was a great experience and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. The medical team all we're great with good bedside mannor. The entire nurses staff were great too both at the hospital and hotel. The Hotel staff were all very nice and made us feel at home. The hospital and hotel was very clean and comfortable. I want you to know there is someone on this forum that had complications in the USA and complications both in the USA or out of the country is very rare. Dr Almanza's record is excellent and all the other people that had surgery with Lisa all did well per her earlier writings. I did get clearance from my cardiologist and gastroenterologist. Dr Almanza's team was very thorough with my pre-op physical and ordered additional test at NO additional cost. Dr Almanza explained the surgery and answered all my questions and he also double checked my history especially what past abdominal surgeries I had. The team in Mexico requested my records from my cardiologist, He wanted to review my Recent Echocardiogram. I made sure to be honest about my health history, followed my pre and post op diet to the letter, has well as post op instructions. Made sure to get all my walking in starting when I was fully awake and sip, sip,sipped on fluids when cleared to do that. Also got meds I could in liquids and made sure ones that don't can be crushed. If you look up my first posting I right about my experience in more detail and walk you through the process. Good Luck and feel free to ask me any questions if you have some. Almost forgot to mention WLA's were wonderful to work with and they did a great job educating me too.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

17. Said thanks: