Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/18/2016
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default One year since my VGS

Its been 13 mo since my surgery. I only had 70% of my stomach taken out. I was 185 and now 135. Only 50lbs but I eat whatever I want and never really followed a diet. Past few months been slacking a lot and eat bad. I stopped losing weight after 6mo or so. I feel great though. I haven't gained any weight. If I gain weight I will reset my pouch and try to eat better but I'm fine now. Don't want to be any skinnier.
    This is the best thing I've ever done and would def do it again.

Mom went to a diff Dr and dropped 100lbs in 6mo, but hers was 80%. She also followed her diet down to a T. She does need plastic surgery though since her skin sagged everywhere, mine didn't. She went from size 230-130

Has anyone only lost about 50 from this surgery??? My Dr says that's fine since I wasn't too big. Went from a size 13-4/5. I'm within my weight guidelines. I also lift weights so I have muscle.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: One year since my VGS

I have seen people on here only lose 50 lbs or so. Many people are upset by it. You seem happy with your weight and size so I would call that perfect. I am 42lbs lost post op and am 16 weeks post op. I have 25 lbs to lose according to being in my healthy weight range. I have confidence that I will continue to lose.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not quiet sure what you are talking about when you say that 70% of you stomach was removed and 80% for your mum. The only measure surgeons use is talking about the bougie size used during surgery. Because even when using the same bougie size on different two patients, their stomachs are going to stretch in different ways so the result could be different. I'm guessing that you are saying that the surgeon used a bigger bougie for your surgery.
    Well, a bigger bougie is safer, there's less risks of leak. But also usually to get the surgery in the first place you need to have a BMI higher than 40 or have at least two comorbidities. So in cases where the patient will not need to lose that much weight (like 100 pounds) they use a bigger bougie.
    A friend needed the surgery to help with her diabetes and her surgeon use the biggest bougie because like you she didn't need to lose more than 50 pounds.

Now, I don't want to be mean, but most of us here get the surgery because we are obese and have health issues that could kill us.
    So Doing that surgery is also a commitment to get a better health, and for that changing your nutrition is what need to be done, for your entire life.
    I think your main goal was to be slimmer. But "eating bad" is not healthy and you can be slimmer and sick from bad nutrition.

Bariatric surgery is the ultimate way for many here to get our health back. It's not "an easy way" to lose 50 pounds.
    If your mother had also issues and lost 100 pounds, it means that you might have obesity in your genes as well. If you don't use your tool the right way right now the weight will just come back and what's left will be the bypass.
    It's not about diet here, it's about health. The bad food you put in your mouth is not good for you.
    Pouch reset is just a myth. The only thing that will work is permanent changes in your nutrition. Treats are fine once in a while, but eating enough protein, veggies, taking your supplements, that's what is going to help in the long run.
    Good luck!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations and very glad you are happy with your decision and results. But just a heads up, Without the appropriate lifestyle changes and healthy food choices, the major regains usually happen around 2-3 years postop. With any luck you will be the exception. And in the meantime, I hope you are at least keeping up with your supplementation and continue with annual bloodwork to detect the deficiencies that can arise at any time.