Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member Darkstarwon's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    02-23-2017 03:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Has WLC affected your marriage/relationship with your spouse or significant other?

Hi all....I've just joined this group and have so many questions. I've considered surgery for so long but have never gotten the courage to go thru with it. However, I'm to the point now I just feel I really need to do this for my health. Years ago I would have done it just to look better, but I'm not even so concerned about that as much anymore (in my 60's)..but I feel my health has deteriorated due to weight issues and I just feel like every day I'm getting closer to having the big one if I don't lose some weight soon (appr 110# overwt)...As a side note, my spouse is probably 125# overweight, so he could use the surgery as well, but would never consider it or even try to lose it any other way. That's a whole other topic! LOL

We have been married for 46 years and our life revolves around food. Obviously with those #s.. We eat out quite a lot, but I do cook as well, but not the healthiest. I'm very concerned about having the surgery and how it's going to affect our relationship. I already feel that I'm going to become very depressed and angry when we go out to eat and I sit and watch him eat whatever and I eat a 1/2 cup of food or I cook a meal at home of what he would like to eat, knowing I can't eat it.....

I've mentioned to him about having the surgery and I know he'd prefer I didn't do it just because of how different I will be eating/cooking, but he's also said if I want to do it ...go for it, although sometimes I think he's just saying that because he knows I'd never go through with it. I just feel like this is going to put such a strain on our marriage. We aren't involved in a lot and eating out seems to be our main activity we enjoy together and I feel like things are going to be so different once I have this surgery.

I'm curious to know if WLS has affected your marriage or relationship with your spouse and if so how have you handled it.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Has WLC affected your marriage/relationship with your spouse or significant other?

These are great questions....maybe I can help you here.

Once I started losing weight, I discovered that among my friends and myself, I was the only one who was changing. So, it made sense to me to not ask them to adjust to me, but, for me to adjust to them. I feel like this is very important for a sleever if you intend to try to exist as a sleeved person in a non sleeved world. It's not incumbent on your spouse, significant other, friends, and other family to adjust their lifestyle to suit yours. If you try to make your husband eat out less or eat differently when you do go out to eat, then he will start to resent the intrusion on his otherwise satisfactory lifestyle.

Now, having said that, here's the good news. Contrary to what you might have heard or read on here, you will be able to eat the same foods you eat now, just much less of them. That means you can still go out to eat where ever you want, when ever you want, and have your meal just the way you like it. Just know that you will WANT to eat less. You'll over eat just once or twice before you learn your lesson on over eating. You won't be mad because you can't eat an entire plate or two of food. In fact, over time, you will become very satisfied with eating a couple of bites of everything on your plate and leaving the vast majority behind, or taking it home in a doggie bag.

This same line of thinking also goes with how you approach cooking. Your husband will resist eating differently if you try to make him. But, as I said earlier, you can eat what you want as long as you don't over eat.

In case you haven't figured it out, not over eating is the key maintenance.

So, in conclusion, I think you'll find that you are worrying over nothing, in regards to food. Lot's of marriages end after WLS, but, those marriages were probably in bad shape to begin with. From what I've read on here, one of two things happens. The person who loses the weight gets a completely different self image of themselves when they start to get attention from the opposite sex. They don't know what to do with these conflicted feelings and sometimes, they act out. Again, if the marriage is solid to begin with, this generally isn't an issue. The other issue occurs when the spouse who isn't losing weight becomes jealous of your new look, and of course, the attention you will get from the opposite sex. Even though you can say and do all of the right things, their own negative self image creates a feeling of jealousy. They are jealous of how you look, and that jealousy breed insecurity and that's the genesis of the problem. Again, a solid marriage will mitigate all of that.

As sleeved persons with a new body image and new self esteem, we absolutely have to be aware of how this will affect our spouses and significant others. As I said earlier, you need to willing to make the adjustments and not expect your spouse to make adjustments. Over time though, they will make adjustments in order to make you happy. Just not a first.

I hope this helps you some. Feel free to reach out via pm or email if you want to discuss further.

Peace

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Emmeraldas's Avatar
    Name
    Evelyn
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bestoun H. Ahmed, MD
    Last Activity
    07-26-2017 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has WLC affected your marriage/relationship with your spouse or significant other?

Hello! I am in my 60's also. I have been married (second time around ) for 28 years. My husband and I found ourselves facing those "golden years" in potentially poor health. Our weight was beginning to impact our ability to enjoy things. We had a huge wake-up when we went to Universal Park with our adult kids and found we could not fit in the ride seats. On other family vacations also found we could not go horseback riding, zip lining, even canopy climbing. Somehow between those years of the kids moving out and then them getting interested in family vacations again, we eliminated ourselves from all the fun. Our intimate relationship suffered as well. Somehow just holding hands is not extremely exciting. ;-)

So after a visit to the doctor we decided that we would do this together. I understand not everyone is able to be at the same crossroads of life at the same time but we were. The main reason we did this together is that we did not want the guilt of eating in front of the other person. However, now that we are 4 months after surgery that fear is sort of melting away.

Eating out is not what it used to be. Many places serve such huge portions that we can order our favorite dish and the leftovers can feed us both for a week. Our food bill is modified. We are finding that "food" in general is taking on a new meaning. Since we eat little portions now we can buy more expensive cuts of meat. Food preparation is more for peak flavor rather than quantity. My baking has gone by the wayside. The homemade bread and sweets are now for special occasions and the kids take them home. In addition we are discovering that we spend less time in the kitchen, since one cooked meal usually provides several days of leftovers. left overs is not a bad word.... I make meals that are planned for dividing and freezing. The actual "doing without" phase of pre and post surgical diets are small compared to the rest of your life's improved quality. A few weeks of liquids is doable. Won't lie and say they were the best weeks but they pass and "regular food" returns. In smaller amounts.

You may find that after weight loss the interest in intimacy returns..... (even in the 60's). Mobility is improved and even a hug is better without trying to maneuver around the equivalent of a beach ball between you.

Some decisions you have to make for yourself although it is hard to face making this type of decision without a good support at home. Only you know how sincere your husband is. However, the prospect of living a long time (our life expectancy is longer than our parents) with avoidable health conditions was not for me. It frightened me more than any dietary change I would need to make after surgery.

Good luck with your decision making.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

I've noticed he's feeding me stuff....I asked him yesterday if he's trying to make me gain weight. he said no, but his actions say otherwise.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The only change is all the compliments I get every morning as looking like a "hot teacher."

Life together is better than ever. We eat out a lot, that hasn't changed. When we eat at home, he's the chef, always a protein and a veggie. Amazingly supportive. He has been incredible from day one. (Actually incredible our whole married life, as he had to have been embarrassed by the way I looked when fat, and never said anything.)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 9-months post op tomorrow. My partner has been super supportive in every way imaginable. We travel a lot, and enjoy eating together still, just now I eat a lot more like him lol! He is and always has been super healthy and lean. Even as I lost and regained weight in the six years we have been together, he has never made feel bad. Even at my highest always made me feel beautiful. Now it's a thousand times more! What's awesome it's that now I weigh less than him, finally!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member flintdonnel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Jamal Farhan, MD, FACS
    Last Activity
    05-16-2017 05:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am only a couple months post op, but I did notice a month ago a sense of jealousy or doubt in my wife's attitude. She saw the weigh coming off and that an attractive person was emerging that she was not used to having others see in public. I sat her down and explained to her that the whole point was that I wanted to spend more time with her. I also expressed that since I was loosing weight and was lighter and more nimble, that I wanted to dance more with her. Then I stepped up and proved my words and she is now getting into the hang of what opportunities are awakening.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

@flintdonnel ... that almost ... almost ... made me cry.

That -- what you did -- was soooo smart. And loving.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

My husband said he would support my decision to have surgery, but I think he really didn't feel like I'd go through with it. When I actually made my appointment, set my surgery date, and began my pre op diet, reality began to set in. Being in the medical field, he felt it necessary to inform me of all the risks involved with the surgery. (I'm a nurse, and after researching the procedure, I was already well informed.) I stuck to my decision and went through with it, and I am so glad that I did! We like to eat out a lot as well, and we still do. I order grilled meats and veggies and end up taking most of it home for the next couple of days. The hardest part is when we go to restaurants with buffets. Your head says to fill up your plate, but you're stomach will say no. After reading some blogs from sleevers that travel to Disney World, I now have a different perspective on buffets. I look at it as an opportunity to choose the healthiest options offered at a restaurant. I would never refuse a brunch/buffet because I don't feel that others should have to change because of my decision to have surgery. I think that would be a cause of resentment. At home, I cook lean meats and veggies. For him, I'll add a starch or two, but it really hasn't been an issue. (I've never been a baker.) He has even admitted to me that he's a little jealous of my weight loss, but could never do the surgery because he doesn't have the mental commitment and would never give up his beer, and that's okay. I think if you are open and honest about the realities of the surgery with each other, things will work out.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband has been absolutely supportive. He is my best friend and we support each other in everything.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband is very supportive. I still cook foods for him I wouldn't eat but it doesn't bother me. We go out and I order a sensible meal and of course never finish it. He's also loving my new size!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-27-2017 06:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've joined this group and I'm actually learning a lot just by ready all your comments.

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

My ex and I had the sleeve within a few months of each other and divorced 5 years later - it was never a good marriage, and now he is remarried and I am dating someone wonderful - we are so much happier now. It just goes to show that yes, relationships do change but sometimes for the better. We have both kept our weight off and are still amicable. It's all up to you how things change. Take care and best wishes!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-27-2017 06:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys, with all this attention I was focusing on like, other people, I totally forgot to sort of tell you something that now I see is probably important. WHen I started losing weight, friends that I thought were real friends started to like, take me out to restaurants and try to feed me MORE. In otherwords, it's almost like they WANTED me to be FAT!!!!! Seriously, I am just so lucky I have a group like you to vent to!