Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Help!! Need Brands of Liquid Vitamins and Supplements

I am still feeling so overwhelmed with all the vitamins and supplements the nutritionist said I have to start consuming NOW, after seeing her yesterday. She gave me 2 baggies of samples: One bag from Bariatric Advantage and the other from Celebrate. I tried the Bariatirc Advantage Multivitamin chew this morning and was gagging. It looked like a sweet tart and was not working well with my mouth. Or tongue. I also tried a calcium chew (another sweet tart look-a-like and large) that was 'supposedly' chocolate. (If that was chocolate, then I am Queen Elizabeth). It took all I could do to NOT hurl. I have a tendency to have an aversion for certain textures, and these are scaring the crap out of me.

How in the hell am I going to be able to manage this? It say's to take liquid vitamins/supplements the first month, but wasn't given any names of products. I wonder if they can be crushed and mixed with applesauce the first month? (I know ISOPURE is only allowed the first week along with the bone broth that I saw today in Albertson's). Will we eventually be able to swallow pills again? The NUT was saying that larger pills will have to be cut down into pieces, but she never said when this happens. And Omega 3 fish oil. I am to take this and want to know if you can break the capsules open and just swallow it like that? (Oh I can ONLY imagine the taste of that one!)

I was told I needed to take these for the rest of my life:
    General MultiVitamin
    Calcium 1200mg
    Vitamin D 4000-5000 IU per day
    Omega 3 Fish oil 1500 mg/day

And these 2 for only 12 weeks after surgery to help with wound healing:
    Vitamin C 1500 mg/day
    Zinc 50 mg/day

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before next month, but I need advice on the vitamins and supplements.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Help!! Need Brands of Liquid Vitamins and Supplements

I've been taking celebrate with the exception of the multi. I haven't taken it and now that I'm on pills I will start. It was too big and too gross. I couldn't get it down. I found them to be cheapest on Jet.com

I got clearance for pills yesterday at my 1 month follow up. I'll probably keep taking everything in chewable except the multi. He said now I can take any kind.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I suppose all bariatric programs are different because I was never restricted from swallowing pills. For the larger pills, simply swallow them whole with yogurt or applesauce. They slide down like a charm.

I take the cheap calcium citrate pills from Kirkland (Costco brand). My multivitamin has always been in pill form, either Centrum or Flintstones complete. Avoid the gummy vitamins because they are incomplete: they lack minerals such as iron.

The vitamin D gel caps are small and can be swallowed easily. Puritan's Pride makes a good, cheap 5000 unit capsule. I also have no problems swallowing the Omega 3 fish oil gel caps even though these are huge.

Your supplements will need to be taken with food because they contain fat-soluble nutrients: vitamins A, D, E and K are found in your multivitamin and are all fat-soluble. If you take these on an empty stomach, they will not absorb properly due to the absence of a meal that contains some fat. These vitamins need dietary fat to absorb.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    I suppose all bariatric programs are different because I was never restricted from swallowing pills. For the larger pills, simply swallow them whole with yogurt or applesauce. They slide down like a charm.

I take the cheap calcium citrate pills from Kirkland (Costco brand). My multivitamin has always been in pill form, either Centrum or Flintstones complete. Avoid the gummy vitamins because they are incomplete: they lack minerals such as iron.

The vitamin D gel caps are small and can be swallowed easily. Puritan's Pride makes a good, cheap 5000 unit capsule. I also have no problems swallowing the Omega 3 fish oil gel caps even though these are huge.

Your supplements will need to be taken with food because they contain fat-soluble nutrients: vitamins A, D, E and K are found in your multivitamin and are all fat-soluble. If you take these on an empty stomach, they will not absorb properly due to the absence of a meal that contains some fat. These vitamins need dietary fat to absorb.
    Thank you SO much for all the great information. I had wondered about the gel caps because I assumed they could just slide on down.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."