Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-31-2017 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default will the gastric sleeve even help me? depressed californian

I have my consultation in a couple days. But I am still on the fence if a gastric sleeve or any WLS would even help me.

My BMI is 40, high HDL and low LDL I think thats the way it is, the bad for you way. all and i mean ALL of my weight is in my belly. if i take a face pic I don't look big at all.

some history, I'm 5'9" female, phen fen as a teen, got a heart condition.
    anorexic in college, yet still weighed 200lb
    got up to 230 did weight watchers got down to 190
    got married had babies, after the second i was 275 did paleo, changed my diet started eating right got down to 265 and stayed there
    my doctors ran tests like you wouldn't believe, everything normal, except at 32 diagnosed perimenopause. doc put me on hormones, heart doc put me on meds for tachycardia, oh also sent me to doc for HCG diet.
    did that for 2 years got down to 180. Maintained it for a year, came off all meds everything was awesome
    divorce, no medical insurance, stress, started gaining out of control tried every diet imaginable nothing worked even hcg no longer worked
    finally got in to see my doctors back up to 255 all test normal except now my hormones were so bad i got diagnosed with full blown menopause at 36! doc said i should consider myself lucky if i can even maintain my weight with treatment and exercise.

my mom got cancer, my whole life got flipped again, i'm up to 310, and I have been barely eating for 2 years, fear food. maybe eat 1200 calories a day. I even went on an exercising binge and my heart couldn't take it. my hr gets almost to 200bpm if i'm walking! we are a gluten free house, organic, lots of healthy fruits and veggies (i personally abstain from fruit, sugar, and carbs) still no change

If I get the sleeve surgery how does that change all that. I still won't be eating, I will now be forced to eat 2000 calories which is hard enough now. I am never hungry. the only advantage i see is that it will fix my hiatal hernia i have that makes me throw up half the meals i eat anyway.

anyone have anything similar to me and had success with surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: will the gastric sleeve even help me? depressed californian

Good OP. You shared very clearly a lot of information.

I don't have any experience with what you've described, so I can't help. But maybe others have heard of this.

Have you actually talked to a bariatric surgeon? Sounds like you need a REALLY good one who knows a lot about metabolic issues and not just surgery.

Honestly, this sounds like a problem for a place like Mayo or Duke or a place that has seen a lot of different sitches.

Very best to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would discuss these issues with your surgeon and psychiatrist. I'm confident the surgery would help you lose weight, but not sure about your other issues. Losing all my weight did not change my cholesterol at all, it is something I inherited, so I'm on meds for that for life. (With wishful thinking I went off them for the 3 months after surgery, and my cholesterol skyrocketed.) But I'm a regular sized person, so I'm sure that's much better for my heart.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Definitely things you need to discuss with your surgeon. Good luck.