Surgeon
    Dr Earl Noyan
    Last Activity
    09-05-2020 09:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 320 Times

Default Re: 4 years out. got off track need to get back on the right path

As most everyone said below it is really easy with the slider foods (non nutritionist carbs). For me it was popcorn kettle and cheese, chips -sour cream and cheddar, cakes, cookies, and almost anything salty and sweet. Also I can never do things a little, meaning I had to indulge in the super big Bags from the BJ's Wholesale Club.

These are also my emotional eating food groups, so as I ate these I was stressed in some way. I know that eating those foods was not the answer. As far as dairy is concerned, don't get me wrong I love dairy it just did not always agree with me, lactose issue I guess. What you may want to do is try and eat yogurt with protein in it. For me it was Greek Yogurt, that has a lot of protein. As you can see from the other posts the protein will make you feel full. That is why it it protein first always ,before veggies. I wish you all the best with your surgery, surgeon selection, and financial backing. It was a decision I did not regret and I know you have probably heard this a dozen times but the surgery is only a tool the rest is up to you.

I did not want to deal with my stress that was why I ate before the surgery and recently. I know that this is not the way to deal with it. It is up to me to make better choices. Was not able to send to your personal email. I hope you get a chance to read my response.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DEWD_2017's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/16/2017
    Surgeon
    Don't know yet
    Last Activity
    01-31-2017 02:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Ann2 - thanks for the great info. In regards to what Tinman had said about Nutri-system. I never said that it didn't work for me. I had stopped because I couldn't afford the monthly cost to keep getting the packages. In fact, it was training me to be more diligent and conscious on how, when, and what to eat when it came to healthy food. When I couldn't afford to buy them any more, I still kept a journal of what I ate throughout the day. However, when things got really messed up at work a few years ago when other people were getting promoted who didn't have nearly the number of years in, or the number of degrees I had, it created a lot of friction in the work place and subsequently I went back to my bad habits again. Thinking, "what's the use of trying to lose weight to get a promotion". Those people could care less in helping me to get ahead. So I was in a self-pity, downward spiral and my self-confidence went to comfort food. I guess my main fear is having to depend on those nutritional supplements people talk about after they've had the surgery. Is it necessary to be on them for the rest of your life? What happens to your body if you can't afford to get them? Just trying to make the right choice when it comes to someone cutting into my body. Thanks for listening.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DEWD_2017 View Post
    I guess my main fear is having to depend on those nutritional supplements people talk about after they've had the surgery. Is it necessary to be on them for the rest of your life? What happens to your body if you can't afford to get them? Just trying to make the right choice when it comes to someone cutting into my body. Thanks for listening.
    Yes, all sleevers should be taking basic vitamin/mineral supplements post-op. But it's not a big deal. Frankly, and I really hope you won't take offense at this, I think you should worry a lot more about being obese the rest of your life and about how obesity will shorten your life and reduce the quality of your life and those who care about you.

I can't speak to how much money other people spend on vitamins / minerals / supplements / prescriptions. But I don't spend that much at all. I just buy over-the-counter vitamins and supplements available at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. I'm 2.5 years post-op, and according to all the blood tests I've had since WLS my nutritional needs are being met just great from the real food I now consume.

BTW, I hope you appreciate the rest of this post, since I had to look all this stuff up online.

The only two supplements my surgeon requires me to take for the rest of my life are: A basic multi-vitamin/mineral pill (costs 6 cents) each and a chewable Caltrate (Ca and D3) (13 cents each, although the tablets are 8 cents apiece). So my required supplements are a whopping 19 cents a day or $5.70 a month. That's less than a Big Mac Meal.

Other supplements I choose to take that are NOT required by my surgeon are: a fish oil capsule (3 cents each), a probiotic capsule (10 billion organisms that costs 43 cents), a Biotin (4 cents each), a stool softener (3 cents each), and twice a week I take a B12 (3 cents apiece). So that's an additional $.56 a day or $16.80/month.

The two prescription meds I took pre-op and still take are a daily levothyroxine (thyoid med), which costs me $8/month, and a Ranitidine (antacid med) that also costs me $8/month.

Obviously, everyone's drug costs and supplement costs will vary, depending on their disease diagnoses and other physical maladies. You could wind up having problems with iron or B12 or magnesium or something else -- which I don't -- and have to take supplements for those conditions. But in most cases if you price-shop at a few pharmacies (these days everyone should be comparison-shopping for all their OTC and Rx medications!) you will find the lowest prices possible. That's what I do. And about once a year I find a pharmacy that has even better prices than the ones I was using before. I recently switched from Walgreens to Walmart. Who knows which pharmacy I'll use next year.

One last thought -- sleevers don't have to take nearly the amount of supplements that people who've had gastric bypass surgery are required to take. The surgeries are quite different and affect our body's abilities to metabolize food post-op very differently.

Keep studying. Keep weighing the costs vs. the benefits for you. Learn what your own odds of success are and how the factors and behaviors that you bring to the table will affect those odds.

Very best to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/16/2017
    Surgeon
    Don't know yet
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi Shar1 - thank you for your reply. Not sure why you couldn't send to my personal email. But anyway, I learned how to reply to these posts now. I'm glad we're still able to eat yogurt since I really like it too. Haven't found one that I like in the Greek variety. Tried several brands and they tasted horrible. Will probably have to adjust to the taste since you said they contain a lot of protein. As far as the veggies are concerned, can they be eaten any style, like raw, steamed or boiled? Is there a recommended way to eat the veggies to get all of their nutritional value? I would suppose that any kind of fruit is allowed as well. Again, thanks for your feedback and great information.

Surgery date
    06/16/2017
    Surgeon
    Don't know yet
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

That's good to know Ann2. I will probably have to go thru the financing route since my insurance company won't cover the surgery, just wanted to make sure I can afford the required supplements. You also mentioned taking levothyroxine (thyoid med) and Ranitidine (antacid med). Was that something you were already on before your surgery or meds you had to take because of the surgery. I'm not too keen about prescription meds. Only one I take is for high blood pressure, Losartan. I also heard Costco had good deals on supplements as well.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Shar1 -- yes, as I said in my post above, I already took levothyroxine and ranitidine prior to WLS. So no change in those meds due to surgery.

I sense you are afraid of medications in general. But nothing about those particular medications should give you any concerns.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

,<snip> As far as the veggies are concerned, can they be eaten any style, like raw, steamed or boiled? Is there a recommended way to eat the veggies to get all of their nutritional value? I would suppose that any kind of fruit is allowed as well. <snip>
    My personal preference is to eat vegetables low on glycemic and starch scale as close to their natural state as possible. My nutritionist suggested to steam or boil vegetables to they can easily be mashed with a fork for the first 3-4 months post op. Also no fresh or raw fruit for the first month p.o. Then afterwards to up 4-5 months fruit must be peeled and diced, and that went for all fruit. Actually, I baked a few apples, peaches and pears over the summer and I was okay. I also ate diced mangos and papaya on cottage cheese about 2 months p.o and didn't get any stomach aches. I was also blending fresh berries into my protein smoothies and she was okay with that. I can eat just about anything these days.

I have seen a plethora of Bariatric cookbooks on Amazon you might consider. Also, I would recommend that you work closely with a nutritionist now, and post surgery. They will be great guides for you.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Hi Shar1 - thank you for your reply. Not sure why you couldn't send to my personal email. But anyway, I learned how to reply to these posts now. I'm glad we're still able to eat yogurt since I really like it too. Haven't found one that I like in the Greek variety. Tried several brands and they tasted horrible. Will probably have to adjust to the taste since you said they contain a lot of protein. As far as the veggies are concerned, can they be eaten any style, like raw, steamed or boiled? Is there a recommended way to eat the veggies to get all of their nutritional value? I would suppose that any kind of fruit is allowed as well. Again, thanks for your feedback and great information.
    Greek yogurt does have alot of protein, but also has alot of sugar...u definitely need to limit the sugar intake... however, if u do choose to eat it, the dannon oikos is delicious...veggies have the most nutritional content raw or barely steamed..

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

That's good to know Ann2. I will probably have to go thru the financing route since my insurance company won't cover the surgery, just wanted to make sure I can afford the required supplements. You also mentioned taking levothyroxine (thyoid med) and Ranitidine (antacid med). Was that something you were already on before your surgery or meds you had to take because of the surgery. I'm not too keen about prescription meds. Only one I take is for high blood pressure, Losartan. I also heard Costco had good deals on supplements as well.
    fruit also contains alot of sugar... better off with veggies and protein...

Gastric Sleeve Member AuburnTigers10's Avatar
    Name
    Paige Smith-Arnold
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Colleen Kennedy
    Last Activity
    12-13-2018 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

I just want to chime in and tell everyone I am sooo thankful for this post. I have not been on here in quite a long time. And for some reason this topic sent me an email. And as I read this headliner "4 years out. got off track need to get back on the right path" I knew I needed to read this and get myself back in this ball game. This was something I needed. this time in 2015 I was 6 lbs away from my goal. I was 161. now 2 years later I have crept my way back up and have gained 40 lbs. Its soooo frustrated. And I told myself I never wanted to go back to where I was before. And here I am, heading in that direction. I will say the 2 things I have stuck with through this entire process and what I have been faithful in doing and that is not drinking anything 30 to 40 mins after dinner and eating my protein first. the things that I am not doing right is not eating enough and not drinking my water like i should. I don't eat horrible things but I could eat better.
    So, thanks again ya'll for this post and I will be on here more frequently now so I can get my ass back to the basics. And hope find some more good tips from everyone. And that is another thing that has gone from nothing to big again. My ass lol!!
    Ya'll have a nice day!!!
    Paige Smith~ "A Man Travels the World In Search of What He Needs and Returns Home to Find It"

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    02/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mayes
    Last Activity
    01-25-2018 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 91 Times

Erik, Thanks so much for posting this. I have not been on here in a long time and I'm having the same problem. I am three years out and can't believe that I have gained weight. I was doing so good, I want to blame to the weight gain on some curve balls life has thrown me. But deep down I know it was/is the choices I am making. I too was looking for some guidance from people on here. Since you posted I have read the posts and they are very helpful! So again thanks for posting.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I hope you have been able to get back on track Erik. Good luck to you!

Surgery date
    01/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.almanza
    Last Activity
    09-13-2017 08:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I had my sleeve done 3 years ago and lost over 100 pounds in the 18 months. Then the weight starting creeping back slowly over the next year. My mom died, marriage sucked, work was stressful and to top all that off and I was so disappointed in myself, depressed and discouraged, I was back up 35 pounds and climbing and felt like a failure.
    Things took a quick turn for the better about 7 months ago when I was introduced to the link between weight gain and Gut Health. In the past 6 months I have lost 25 pounds, have more energy, no longer anemic, better mood, no longer constipated (after 20 years) and sleeping like a baby at night. I researched like crazy and got approval from my local doctor to start taking an all-natural supplement that is healing my gut, balancing my blood sugar and my 46 year old wacky hormones. I’m honestly not even sure what is causing the weight loss. Is it because I’m more rested and less likely to lay on the couch at night? Is it because I’m not craving and eating chocolate during my PMS roller coaster? Is it because I’m less depressed so don’t go to potato chips for comfort? I don’t know but I do know it’s working and I no longer look in the mirror and think “you suck; you are a failure”. I’d love to share with you, if you are interested. I've waited this long to tell anyone just in case it was a fluke or temporary.
    we can turn this around...really

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr John Dockins
    Last Activity
    10-14-2017 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    Even if your stomach's size has been reduced with bariatric surgery, you can regain all of your weight by overeating 'slider' foods, also known as slurry foods.

Slider foods (crackers, pretzels, chips, popcorn, cookies, wafers, etc.) turn into a liquid slurry once we chew them. The slurry rapidly slides past the stomach and into the intestines without creating a sense of fullness or satiety. Since slider foods tend to be high-calorie carbohydrates that stimulate insulin spikes, they promote rapid weight gain and fat storage.

A sleeved person can eat two dozens of cookies without ever feeling full. The same sleeved person absolutely cannot eat two dozens of chicken drumsticks because he/she will become full after one or two pieces of chicken. The two dozens of cookies has 2400 calories, more than a day's worth of kcals. The two chicken drumsticks has 250 calories. It is all about choices.

Overeating slider foods is the root of most weight regain in sleeved people. One member posted that she had regained 150+ pounds after being sleeved, so take these words and do with them as you wish. Good luck to you.
    I had the same concerns. Your post was VERY HELPFUL. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand and where to be leary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12