Last Activity
    07-26-2017 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hi

Hi!!
    So, here's my story. I am 55, wife, mother of 2, full time worker in health care. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I have lost weight for vacations, weddings, and other special events. And I would swear each time I lost weight, I would never put the weight back on. Well, that never happened. I have gotten to a point in my life where it is SO hard to drop the weight. My highest weight ever was 239. When I tipped the scales at 219 several months ago, I knew something had to change. So, 4 months ago, I decided to attend a seminar on weight loss surgery. I am now going through a 6 month pre op evaluation required by my insurance. I want to get as much info prior to having this surgery. I didn't want anyone to know that I was considering surgery, because I know this is MY decision. In fact, I only told my husband bout this yesterday. His initial response was " no, you don't need that". But I started to explain that my weight is affecting my health. In the end, he said it's my decision and he would support me.
    I don't have a surgery date, although I guess it will be in mid to late April. I have learned so much from this group, that I wanted to become part of it.

Diane

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi

Welcome Diane. I went through insurance as well. I only told my hubby and kids, my sister, father, and 4 close friends about my surgery. I don't think it has to be broadcast. For people who want to tell people, that is great as well. Ultimately it is a personal decision on whether you want to tell people or not. I think the hardest person to tell was my husband. I went to the first appointment and then told him. He was like yours...now you don't need that but after talking about it he understood. While he did not think I needed it, I was a 41 BMI when I started. I think people who love us see us with rose colored glasses. I am 11 weeks post op and it has truly been life changing. Best decision for me. I feel great and look great. So glad I did this. This site is great for finding answers and also hearing other people's experiences. Odds are, if you are going through something someone on here has been there. Good luck and once again, welcome!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuri
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 644 Times
    Blog Entries

Choice is a wonderful thing....u betcha

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Diane and welcome! Two years ago my wonderful doctor, seriously, told me that I qualify for bariatric surgery I was like WHAT? ME? I know I am overweight at 225, but I thought ME, surgery. No thanks I can do this on my own. Well,two years past and my usual yo-yo dieting and still I was overweight. My husband didn't want me to do it when my doctor had that talk with me.
    Well, the next talk was the fact that as I am nearing to the age of 60 and retirement, his "new" concern was that when I reach 70, I probably will have great difficulty walking, etc. BAM
    I want to be healthier when I retire next year. I want to ride a bike, kayak, enjoy our boating and not to be the biggest person in the room, the beach etc.
    SO, I when on a rant, but I am sooooo happy I did it and feel so wonderful!!! You will be too!!

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Hi Diane! Welcome to the forum. I, was just sleeved in October, so I'm almost 3 months out. This was a very hard decision for me as well. I started the journey 3 years ago and then decided that I could do it myself. Well, you know how it goes, I had some success--took 6 months to lose 23 pounds, then lost all interest in dieting because the slip ups kept coming and the yo-yoing started. Then, before I knew it, it was all back again! Finally I made the decision, kept the "secret" between me and my husband...and then my children. The first week is HARD, the second week, so much better and by 6 weeks, felt like a new woman! I cannot believe my new energy and general happy outlook for the future. By the way, I did wait too long and will be having knee replacement surgery next summer, so you're thinking of doing a good thing!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents