Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member KidEmerson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    (REVISION SURGEON) Dr. Ian Soriano (Upenn)
    Last Activity
    01-28-2018 02:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Advice or tips on post-op complications

Good Morning Sleevers,

First, I want to preface this by saying my complications are a bump in the road and while I am struggling to maintain morale and a positive attitude, I don't regret the procedure and I DO NOT WANT TO DISCOURAGE any future sleevers. Everyone responds differently. I've always had a history of anxiety that had a direct result on the way my stomach responded.

Now, to everyone who has had the procedure and experiences complications I really need your help or advice. Since my surgery it has been a constant struggle with nausea every day and vomiting every day. Since I came home from the hospital I went one day without vomiting. Out of the entire range of things I can eat on the pureed phase I can only tolerate fork-smashed salmon, whiting, yogurt, apple, and pear sauces.

I salivate heavily throughout the day nonstop. I am constantly nauseous. I throw up every single morning prior to taking in any liquid or food. This morning I had 2 teaspoons of apple sauce and threw up a white frothy substance in addition to the apple sauce. I had an upper GI swallow with small bowel exam and the doctors claimed everything looked normal. They have no explanation, nor have they offered any remedy.

So if anyone has experienced similar symptoms or experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice or tips on post-op complications

Have they given you any anti nausea medications? I know my surgeon prescribed one to me. I was blessed to only need it a few times but when I did need it it was a tremendous help. I only feel nauseous sometimes. Usually when I do if I sip something warm it passes but don't know if that will be comparable for you because I have had almost no complications.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you are still vomiting at one month out..
    Did you have a chance to try "MediNatura, BHI, Nausea" it's homeopathic, has no side effect and was the only thing that did help me, I used it for months.
    A few ideas:
    - keep a food journal with what you eat and when you get sick
    - is you apple sauce has acid citric in it? I couldn't stand any acid anything for months
    - have you tried a basic soup with carrot and potatoes. I know it's carbs, but carrots did help my stomach during the first weeks. At the beginning I was doing better with broth, chicken or beef too. Sweet was not always welcome. But sometimes it was the only thing I could stand. My stomach was unpredictable.

The foam could be coming from something your stomach doesn't like. I had that foam thing since day one and had it yesterday again. I used new spices in my chicken green bean casserole, foam was coming up, then hiccup (this one was gone for months!) well, not having those spices anytime soon!
    I also had some foam issue when I was having low blood sugar...it did happen often during a few months.

Besides that, since you had exams, I'm just thinking about something that my insurance did require and I actually didn't do it (well, I received the request after I had the surgery...was too late).
    Apparently in France they do an exam pre-op to know if people are having issues with H. Pilori bacteria. If they are positive (and from my readings it seems many are positive) they have to get antibiotics before the surgery. That could be something to think about.

But keep thinking positive, if nothing is wrong, and it's your stomach healing, it could take a few weeks. I was "green" for months. I did scare my friends. And it did get better. BUT I "only" had to deal with strong nausea, I was not vomiting. I know it's hard.
    May be meet with a nutritionist? they might have ideas...
    Take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    08-11-2017 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I wonder if it would help to take an antacid or prilosec at bedtime or upon rising?

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cole
    Last Activity
    04-29-2017 09:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Sorry u have had these problems. I have not had any nausea or problems eating. I did get a touch of pneumonia, and have real problems with diarreha. Pardon my spelling, been awhile since college. Hope your doc. can help you.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

If you're new to sleeving you may want to take an antacid twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night. You can buy them over the counter at Walmart or any drugstore. Prilosec, omneprazole, Pepzid, Zantac, etc. I also have tums or rolaids on hand for between meals.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna Doone View Post
    If you're new to sleeving you may want to take an antacid twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night. You can buy them over the counter at Walmart or any drugstore. Prilosec, omneprazole, Pepzid, Zantac, etc. I also have tums or rolaids on hand for between meals.
    This is a great point. I forgot to take my prilosec last night and woke this am not feeling great. I felt better after I took it this morning.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Have they given you any anti nausea medications? I know my surgeon prescribed one to me. I was blessed to only need it a few times but when I did need it it was a tremendous help. I only feel nauseous sometimes. Usually when I do if I sip something warm it passes but don't know if that will be comparable for you because I have had almost no complications.
    Hi,

I've been taking Zofran on some days and Promethazine on other days. Warm/Hot beverages feel AMAZING in my stomach. I've been sipping tea from time to time.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    I'm sorry you are still vomiting at one month out..
    Did you have a chance to try "MediNatura, BHI, Nausea" it's homeopathic, has no side effect and was the only thing that did help me, I used it for months.
    A few ideas:
    - keep a food journal with what you eat and when you get sick
    - is you apple sauce has acid citric in it? I couldn't stand any acid anything for months
    - have you tried a basic soup with carrot and potatoes. I know it's carbs, but carrots did help my stomach during the first weeks. At the beginning I was doing better with broth, chicken or beef too. Sweet was not always welcome. But sometimes it was the only thing I could stand. My stomach was unpredictable.

The foam could be coming from something your stomach doesn't like. I had that foam thing since day one and had it yesterday again. I used new spices in my chicken green bean casserole, foam was coming up, then hiccup (this one was gone for months!) well, not having those spices anytime soon!
    I also had some foam issue when I was having low blood sugar...it did happen often during a few months.

Besides that, since you had exams, I'm just thinking about something that my insurance did require and I actually didn't do it (well, I received the request after I had the surgery...was too late).
    Apparently in France they do an exam pre-op to know if people are having issues with H. Pilori bacteria. If they are positive (and from my readings it seems many are positive) they have to get antibiotics before the surgery. That could be something to think about.

But keep thinking positive, if nothing is wrong, and it's your stomach healing, it could take a few weeks. I was "green" for months. I did scare my friends. And it did get better. BUT I "only" had to deal with strong nausea, I was not vomiting. I know it's hard.
    May be meet with a nutritionist? they might have ideas...
    Take care.
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm meeting with my nutritionist next week. I recently switched to Nexium for the nausea so hopefully that will work. Strangely enough, and I don't mean to sound disgusting but today I moved my bowels for the first time in almost a week and I feel SO MUCH better right now. Still salivating but it's not as much and I have no nausea at all right now!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    I wonder if it would help to take an antacid or prilosec at bedtime or upon rising?
    I'm doing Nexium now but I never thought of maybe trying an antacid at night because it's really bad in the morning. I sleep with my bed propped up and all.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Luna354 View Post
    This is a great point. I forgot to take my prilosec last night and woke this am not feeling great. I felt better after I took it this morning.
    I'm going to do the Nexium at night as well!

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
    Sorry u have had these problems. I have not had any nausea or problems eating. I did get a touch of pneumonia, and have real problems with diarreha. Pardon my spelling, been awhile since college. Hope your doc. can help you.
    Yeah my buddy had Bypass and didn't have the nausea issues at all. In fact, none of the people I know struggled with it the way I do. This is why I strongly believe it may be tired to anxiety and worry.

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Definitely gonna do the morning and night routine.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hany Basson
    Last Activity
    12-29-2022 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts

KidE,
    I think you answered your own question, now listen to what I say before you answer. If you are sleeping with the bed propped up then you have excessive stomach acid flowing. After GSS the doctor prescribes a strong acid reducer that has to be taken for a minimum a 3 months just like your vitamins. This extra stomach acid can get worse with stress, it will definitely cause a unwell feeling. Morning and night we are doing pantoprozale 40 Mg. My wife off handedly mentioned to the Doctor at the 2 week PO checkup that she was forgetting to take the acid reducer because she did feel the need, It was then that he told her it was mandatory, at least till the 3 month checkup and blood test.... I am different, I have a great deal of responsibility and I carry the weight for a lot people. Over the years It has caused me more stress that I could care to mention, living on tums and Pepcid Ac, sleeping with my head raised, every pharmaceutical acid reducer was in in my travel bad.... This problem was solved last year, made some real changes, learned to disconnect. I feel your pain, getting your extra acid under control, will really help. Next find something that you can keep down, chicken soup, protein drink, then stick with it until your next phase and move forward..... Good Luck!!

Surgery date
    08/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jpmlvm View Post
    KidE,
    I think you answered your own question, now listen to what I say before you answer. If you are sleeping with the bed propped up then you have excessive stomach acid flowing. After GSS the doctor prescribes a strong acid reducer that has to be taken for a minimum a 3 months just like your vitamins. This extra stomach acid can get worse with stress, it will definitely cause a unwell feeling. Morning and night we are doing pantoprozale 40 Mg. My wife off handedly mentioned to the Doctor at the 2 week PO checkup that she was forgetting to take the acid reducer because she did feel the need, It was then that he told her it was mandatory, at least till the 3 month checkup and blood test.... I am different, I have a great deal of responsibility and I carry the weight for a lot people. Over the years It has caused me more stress that I could care to mention, living on tums and Pepcid Ac, sleeping with my head raised, every pharmaceutical acid reducer was in in my travel bad.... This problem was solved last year, made some real changes, learned to disconnect. I feel your pain, getting your extra acid under control, will really help. Next find something that you can keep down, chicken soup, protein drink, then stick with it until your next phase and move forward..... Good Luck!!
    Thank you, I really appreciate your suggestions and it definitely seems you can relate! I will make sure I do my best to keep my stress level under control and stay with my meds.