Surgeon
    Dr. John Kelly
    Last Activity
    02-09-2014 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Selective Lactose Intolerance?

I've had a problem with protein shakes with lactose since day one, they make me really gassy and uncomfortable after drinking. The strange thing is I can drink milk and have dairy products without any issues. I've heard of people having an intolerance to lactose after the surgery, but thought it was with all lactose and not selectively. I am perfectly fine with any/all other protein shakes but keep trying different ones with milk with the same result. Just wondering has anyone else run into this problem or is my body/stomach just weird?

Highest Known Weight: 285 lbs
    Weight at 1st appointment: 265 lbs
    Pre-op weight: 240 lbs
    3 months post-op: 185 lbs
    6 months post-op:
    1 year post-op:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

Default Re: Selective Lactose Intolerance?

It could be you have a small amount of the enzymes that digest lactose in your digestive system, but the amount of lactose in your shakes is too much for your system. You could try making your shake with lactose free milk or take a lactaid capsule with your shake. If that doesn't help you may need to find a different shake. You may have a different reason the shake is making you gassy. Good luck figuring it out! I take align from time to time as I think it helps me for many reasons. For example constipation and gassyness.

Gastric Sleeve Member Persiankity33's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Kim
    Last Activity
    04-15-2018 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I can have all dairy and whey----but if I just drink plain glass of milk, I end up going into dumping syndrome. It's really bad but only milk, everything else I'm okay with

Gastric Sleeve Member monkey67girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chris Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I cant have the pre made protein shakes that contain whey or I dump (BAAAD)...But I eat yogurt and cheese...I don't like milk so I haven't tried it...but my tummy seems selective too....It is just a learning process..

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diaz
    Last Activity
    03-31-2020 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

I have serious issues with mcdonalds new frappe. I got a small the other night - just because I wanted to try it. I took maybe 6 sips and then it hit me...and I could feel it racing through my gut. Sure didn't think that would happen! I've never been able to drink their shakes - even before surgery - but I had thought the frappe would be different - like Starbucks frappacinos which I can drink all day long and not have any effects. Needless to say ---- NEVER ---- EVER ---- AGAIN will I get ANY drink from MCD's besides ice water. Never...ever.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 04:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times

My NUT told us that too much fat or sugar would be more likely to make us have an upset stomach or dumping syndrome. The general guidelines they gave us were no more that 5gms of fat per shake and no more than 10gms of carbs per shake. That may be more of a problem than the dairy products in them. I would check the sugar and fat content in your foods before I stop drinking milk. I would think a Frappe would be loaded with fat and sugars. Also, I would only eat low fat or fat free dairy/milk or light soy milk. Good luck, it's no fun to get sick!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-11-2019 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

You can easily find some healthy milk substitutes that are good for lactose intolerance treatment, including coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, soy milk. And butter can be replaced by coconut oil and such several fruit purees as prune, banana, or applesauce.
    And about the remedy, I suggest drinking ginger tea to treat lactose intolerance: Pour one teaspoon of grated ginger to a glass of boiled water for a few minutes, add a few drops of lemon juice and honey to this mixture and consume three cups of ginger tea per day to get relief from the symptoms.
    You can also eat high- fat cottage cheese or hard cheese like Swiss and cheddar cheese, yogurt is great as well!
    There are many more effective natural remedies for lactose intolerance, and some facts you may not know You can read here for more information https://authorityremedies.com/home-r...e-intolerance/