Surgeon
    Dr. Hamn
    Last Activity
    05-05-2017 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Having cold feet 5 days from surgery

I am at the beginning of the all liquid diet and 5 days from my gastric sleeve surgery on the 29th. I have to admit that I'm having cold feet. It seems like an extreme step to lose 100 lbs. I just left Christmas dinner with my family, and I'm having regrets that I will never get to eat another normal meal again.

All my doctors are happy that I'm doing it. But I'm thinking there must be other ways that wouldn't require me to never eat a full meal again.

thoughts?

chris
    Surgery Date - 12/29/2016 - 6'7" - 441 lbs

01/07/2017 - 415 lbs = 26 lbs lost
    01/31/2017 - 405 lbs = 36 lbs lost
    02/15/2017 - 397 lbs = 44 lbs lost
    03/13/2017 - 382 lbs = 59 lbs lost
    03/31/2017 - 371 lbs = 70 lbs lost

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Having cold feet 5 days from surgery

Welcome!

I had surgery 20+ months ago. I weighed 218 pounds on surgery day. Today, I weigh 118 pounds. For me, being a normal-weight person with my health intact is a million times more valuable than the ability to stuff a large meal down my throat.

I do not miss my old stomach one bit. Good riddance...

By the way, tonight's dinner consisted of a large slice of three-meat pizza and a salad with dressing, ham, and bacon bits. The reality is that, over time, your sleeved stomach will relax and stretch to accommodate more food. I could only eat 3 to 4 ounces in those first few months, but now I can comfortably consume up to 8 ounces in one sitting. However, this is nowhere near the 48 ounces I could eat prior to surgery.

It is your choice. You do not need to have surgery. In fact, most obese people can lose weight without surgery. However, more than 90 percent of all obese people regain the weight without surgery. Again, life as a normal-weight person is worth more to me than the chance to eat several heaping plates of food at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Good luck to you!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh don't get cold feet. I'm 7 weeks out and have no regrets other than why did I wait so long to do it. I don't miss eating. And I can't eat much right now. I'm looking and feeling great. The surgery had very minimal recovery time and hasn't been difficult. Ultimately it is your decision and only you can make it. But for me I know I could've never lost the weight on my own. I'm so very happy I did this and I'm only half way to goal. Best decision I've ever made.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sorry, I don't think there is any other way to lost 100 pounds. Haven't you tried them all? If they had worked you wouldn't be obese.

Believe me we all get "cold feet," this is elective surgery, but just keep your eyes on the prize. Next Christmas you'll be posting a photo of yourself looking amazing at some holiday event. In a year you will easily reach your desirable BMI. Every single item in your closet will be gone, so get ready to shop. (Even my shoes got too big for me!)

And as far as food goes, there is nothing you will miss, I promise (unless you miss being fat, which would be weird). Holiday meals I just go for the meat first, then veggies, then a little bit of anything else I have room for. I still have a piece of pizza, a taco, or whatever once in a while. I eat like a regular person, just less. Last night hubby did an amazing pork roast with cauliflower and candied apples on his grill, tonight it's ham with asparagus.

Good luck! As Nike says, Just do it!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    Welcome!

I had surgery 20+ months ago. I weighed 218 pounds on surgery day. Today, I weigh 118 pounds. For me, being a normal-weight person with my health intact is a million times more valuable than the ability to stuff a large meal down my throat.

I do not miss my old stomach one bit. Good riddance...

By the way, tonight's dinner consisted of a large slice of three-meat pizza and a salad with dressing, ham, and bacon bits. The reality is that, over time, your sleeved stomach will relax and stretch to accommodate more food. I could only eat 3 to 4 ounces in those first few months, but now I can comfortably consume up to 8 ounces in one sitting. However, this is nowhere near the 48 ounces I could eat prior to surgery.

It is your choice. You do not need to have surgery. In fact, most obese people can lose weight without surgery. However, more than 90 percent of all obese people regain the weight without surgery. Again, life as a normal-weight person is worth more to me than the chance to eat several heaping plates of food at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Good luck to you!
    Funny you mentioned a buffet. At my support group a lady was whining that she couldn't eat much at a buffet. Seriously, if you have had weight loss surgery CHOOSE ANOTHER RESTAURANT! (Unless you want to waste a whole lot of money.)

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jeanne
    Surgery date
    11/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Regan
    Last Activity
    05-26-2017 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I'm only a month post op and I know how you feel! Jot down all the wonderful things that weight loss will bring. Try to look forward to the prize. In one month, I'm off one of my BP pills that I took twice daily as well as off metformin! I've rarely taken an Advil or Tylenol for my aches and pains. I used to start each and EVERY DAY with 4 Advil! In 4 weeks I've seen huge health benefits. It is NOT easy but wanting a better quality of life needs to be the winning attitude! You can do it!!!!!!! We will all be working together for the same goal. GOOD LUCK!

Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metroplexchl View Post
    It seems like an extreme step to lose 100 lbs.
    Indeed, it is an extreme step to losing weight but I don't think your MD would have moved you forward without trying other things first. Secondly, I don't think you would have made it past the psych eval if this was not appropriate and a decision made for all the right reasons. My surgery is in two days and I can relate to the cold feet. I think mine, though very brief, was rooted in guilt and disappointment in myself for not making weight loss work by other means. To a lesser degree, I am also nervous at committing to a life long change in eating habits but my current eating habits are NOT working out!

Trust yourself. Trust your doctors. You got to this day with much thought and good decision making on behalf of yourself and at least two doctors. 2017 is going to change your life in a very good way. Happy New Year!

If you want we can buddy up to compare and support since our surgery is so close in date.
    Bagawk!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I never try to talk someone into weight loss surgery.

This decision has got to be an extremely well informed one. And made solely by the patient.

Good wishes to you, however you choose.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member metroplexchl's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamn
    Last Activity
    05-05-2017 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bagawk! View Post

If you want we can buddy up to compare and support since our surgery is so close in date.
    Thanks all for the kind words and support. Lots of good experience given!

I'm a huge fella that grew up playing sports. I'm currently 6'7" and weigh 441 lbs. Due to arthritis and years of abuse to my knees in sports and my work, i had one knee totally replaced 4 months ago. My other knee was replaced 11 months before that. I had a heart stent put in 12 months before that. I had a tumor removed from my thyroid 10 months before that (this gave me hypothyroidism and is the cause of my high weight). The thought of another surgery is exhausting to me. Seriously. I think its mostly been the drain of another recovery period. All of the aforementioned surgeries had long recovery times. From what I've read, this recovery is very simple.

I am definitely looking forward to weight loss.

I'd love to buddy up!

How does that work?

chris
    Surgery Date - 12/29/2016 - 6'7" - 441 lbs

01/07/2017 - 415 lbs = 26 lbs lost
    01/31/2017 - 405 lbs = 36 lbs lost
    02/15/2017 - 397 lbs = 44 lbs lost
    03/13/2017 - 382 lbs = 59 lbs lost
    03/31/2017 - 371 lbs = 70 lbs lost

Surgery date
    07/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Chris,
    I haven't been here on forums for a long time. I popped in and your post was the first one I saw. I am about 18 months out. I dropped 85 pounds and have stayed here and happy with my current weight. I still run into people who haven't seen me in several years. They are shocked and can't keep commenting how wonderful I look. The thing is, I don't need compliments. I am feeling so much better than I have felt since late 30's and I will be 60 soon. If you have truly researched the surgery and have prepared yourself emotionally and physically (you are starting that with the liquid phase) don't second guess yourself and talk yourself out of it. The surgery is not for everyone. You must be dedicated and understand that surgery is not a fix all. You will still have to control or eliminate certain things from your diet. My surgeon does not allow any drinks with co2. Therefore my diet pepsi addiction had to go. I still get cravings, but truthfully I crave water more often. Last Christmas I was still in the early stages. I only ate a few bites here and there at holiday functions. I still remember thinking that while my tummy said it was enough, there was still the mind wondering if I was going to be able to be happy. Well, the answer is yes. I did indulge a little bit but my portion sizes are a fraction of the size pre-sleeve. I don't feel like I'm going to blow up from holiday dinners as I'm planning what I will eat for dessert later.

You are probably having the same thoughts we all have. I have no regrets and wish I had the years back, I spent overweight and not enjoying life to the fullest. I spent 20 years trying to lose weight and continued to gain more in the end. If I could have been successful with any other eating program, I would have done so. It's probably the same for you, although I don't know how long you have been researching wls.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Hollis
    Last Activity
    02-16-2017 05:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Chris, I am five days post op too. I was also thinking how I wished I could eat like everyone else. Everyone was eating all this yummy food and I just sipped on my chicken broth. I wasn't even physically hungry but I was wishing I could eat everything. It is a mental battle that we have to fight. Don't give up.

Lisa

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgery is JAN5 and I feel very anxious, but for me it's all about a healthier me! All the diets I have done in the past worked and then I would gain it back. I am a super YO-YO gal. I retire next year and when I leave my job my goal is to walk out healthy, happy and ready for my next journey!
    Happy Health New Years 2017!!

Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a tumor removed from my thyroid 10 months before that (this gave me hypothyroidism and is the cause of my high weight).
    We have similar circumstances. I have been very fit and trim my whole like until I developed a diseased thyroid and had it removed entirely. I've gained over 100 pounds since.

I'd love to buddy up!

How does that work?
    I'm not sure if there is any formal process,.. if there is someone please tell us. I was thinking that we might follow each other's progress and message each other for support and comparison. Since we are only two days apart with our surgery I think it would be helpful,... at least it will be for me and you know, life is all about me. lol

Kidding about life being all about me. Just trying to keep things ,... and funny.
    Bagawk!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jeanne
    Surgery date
    11/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Regan
    Last Activity
    05-26-2017 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I'm right with you! When I retire, I want to be the best I can be so that the next 20+years I will enjoy. The health benefits will be worth it.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

After my earlier more coy, careful post to you, I'll throw down with an older person testimonial. I was 68 when I was sleeved over 2 years and 4 months ago. I'm now 71, and at 100 pounds lighter my life has never ever been any better.

Finally getting healthy and active for my golden years instead of turning my hubby into my caregiver for the rest of our lives was my primary motivation for having WLS.

And now I'm a "senior athlete" (hubby's silly name for me). He's not half wrong though. I exercise for at least an hour at least 5 days a week, sometimes 6 days. I feel at least 20 years younger. Maybe 30. I look great. I am also much happier now that I'm finally normal-sized and healthy.

Btw, a lot of people say they wish they'd had this surgery earlier. I don't think I can say that because I just couldn't have imagined ME having WLS until I was a complete fucking mess. It is an extreme thing to do. Speaking strictly for myself, I eat all I want these days -- about 1700 to 1800 calories a day on average. And that satisfies me, which it would not have done a few years ago. And I enjoy very much the food I eat.

If you do go forward with the surgery, I hope you find like I have that it helps you reset your life. It isn't a magic cure, because you have to create and live a new lifestyle. You may benefit from a therapist's support (I have). But it can be the big change in your life that makes permanent changes finally possible.

Again, whatever you decide to do, best wishes to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89