Dr Fedorka
    Last Activity
    01-25-2017 12:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey

I started my journey approximately two years ago I spent the first year and a half taking classes and going to therapy to work on my food issues. I really wanted to make sure I was ready for surgery and all it entailed. I had watched three friends have weight loss surgery only to slip back into bad habits. While they still have quite a bit of weight off they've each put weight back on I finally took the plunge on July 15, 2016. My pre op appointment was May 26 at which point I weighed 308 at 5'2" tall on the day of my surgery I weighed in at 287. I had no complications and healed quickly. The first month I lost 19 ponds. The second month 8 pounds,and the third 10 pounds. The fourth month I added 30 minutes of bicycling and dropped 16 pounds. Yippee!!! But then, I only lost a total of .6 pounds the fifth month. It wasn't a plateau. I had to be honest with myself. I had taken on the care of a family member and with that stress had made very poor food choices the first half of the month I had actually gained 5 pounds and after getting back on track lost 5.6 the second half of the month. This last month I am happy to say I'm back on track, making good choices and exercising every day. I lost ten more pounds bringing my total to 80 pounds since May 26. When I get discouraged and feel like it's going too slow I try to remember at ten pounds a month that's 120 in a year!! I've also learned to remind myself to be very mindful about everything that goes in my mouth. Other than when I first wake up in the morning I'm not hungry. My goal each day is to stay under 600 calories with 80 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbs. I see my nutritionist this week and I know the plan is to increase my calories to 800 in about two weeks. That scares me a little because when I gained the five pounds I had creeped up to 800 calories during those two weeks. However, I didn't carefully watch my protein and ate way too many carbs. I have two weeks until I'm six months post op. And I've lost 12 pounds so far this month. I'm working hard to make this a record month!! I've learned that tracking the carbs and protein really helps. Oh and I drink 64-70 oz of water a day. I hope my journey can help someone else learn from my mistakes. By the way I now ride my mountain bike 5 miles daily with some days at 7 miles and 45 minutes.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey

I applaud you for getting on track. Sometimes when we fall it is easy to give up, but you did not do that. You picked yourself up, dusted yourself off, and then you did the work and are rocking it!! I have full faith that you will continue to stay on track and be successful! Also, I wanted to thank you for your honesty when it is not an easy thing to admit. Happy New Year!!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member BelleKreyol's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Verboonen
    Last Activity
    11-11-2017 02:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats! This is a beautiful journey, certainly with bumps on the road. You got right back in it like many of us. Keep up the hard work.

Belle

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Congrats! Your journey is very inspiring. I have to keep reminding myself that it's a journey and every step counts!

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! You have accomplished so much in a short time. I would love to get on a mountain bike and ride. I WILL get on one after surgery and recovery! (One of my many future goals to look forward to.)

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents