05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Default The Perfect Human Diet

Today I saw this documentary on human evolution and how our diet has been altered by technology and convenience and particularly politics of food production.

I can't say that I agree 100% with the film or that I will subject myself to a radical Paleo no carb diet, but I am recommitted to continuing to seek a balanced and healthy lifestyle through the food choices I make. But definitely our surgeons were right to suggest and more like hammer into us to focus on protein first.

After surgery I joined a 12-week Get Fit program that included weekly group visits with a nutritionist, I now understand the benefits of a balanced diet for optimal health, and it needs to be re-evaluated every so often to my current likes and needs. I haven't logged into my food log since about Thanksgiving, but every day I start my day with protein and fruit. I change it up several times a week by eating whole cut oats, with quinoa and flax and chia seeds. I eat seasonally available fresh vegetables, I eat meat, chicken and an assortment of seafood. I enjoy a slice of seeded and sprouted grain bread, and chocolate chocolate in every form almost daily lately and I'm still losing weight.

Every food choice we make has good or bad consequences, and for too long I chose food groups that were detrimental to my health, quality of life and overall well being. Being sleeved has forced me to reflect on every choice I make, at 7-months post op I am still learning, still adjusting to a better way of life, leaner and with a renewed sense of hope for my health and future. I often forget that I have been sleeved, but when I slip up, my Sleeved stomach is still reminding me to choose wisely. I know eventually things may return to normal, but I hope by then discipline would have helped me change my habits for the better.

That's why I am recommending to anyone who is interested to continue to seek answers to better ways of living and eating even beyond Gastric Sleeve Surgery.

Watch the doc if you can.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Perfect Human Diet

I saw that documentary a few years ago. I'm currently taking nutrition classes, I'm finishing the third and last of a series. It's amazing how that field is moving so fast, things I learned in 2012 (in two other classes) are currently not accurate any longer! I wish we had doctors who were more involved in nutrition because I realized lately that a few issues I had for the past 20 years could have been relieved by simple dietetic measures but doctors chose medication first unfortunately. I was always careful with what I ate, even when I was morbidly obese because I was trying hard to protect my children, but now I'm not only looking at the best fuel, but also the one who's going to help me avoid inflammation and protect my sleeve. It is a work in progress! And It's for life because research will continue to evolve and we have to closely follow what's published...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I have ZERO scientific proof for proposing this, but I'll say it anyway:

I can't imagine that every human on the planet has the same ideal diet. We're all a single race, but there is considerable variation amongst us.

For instance, my seven siblings (who with the same two parents and all preceding ancestors in common) include one person who has type one diabetes (the other six have no diabetes), blood pressure that ranges from low to high (with no obvious correspondence to body weight), short to tall.

To the best of my knowledge, my sibs and I are the usual British Isles mutt mix, with no Mediterranean, African, Asian or Native American ancestors.

But someone whose ancestors are Sicilian or Nigerian or Indonesian or Russian or Navajo or Inuit surely doesn't metabolize all foods the same way I do. And for those whose ancestries are a mix of many different kinds of lineages, things might get a little unpredictable. And frustrating. Especially if family members and friends thrive on specific foods that, instead, screw with their own health and metabolism.

I would so love it if there were a perfect food pyramid that everyone would thrive on if they ate it. But I think some folks do feel better eating more protein than others vs. other people who feel better and thrive while eating a higher proportion of complex carbs. (FTR, I don't think anyone was bred to thrive on highly processed foods and fast food, at least not yet.)

Bottom line is I know which foods I thrive on. And about 85%-90% of my daily menus include those foods.

Post-WLS, it's every patient's responsibility to find out what works well for them. As Tinman says (I'm paraphrasing here): Make your plan, work your plan, and (when necessary) change your plan.

(I have no idea why I felt compelled to climb up on a soapbox about this. I actually like all the prior posts on this thread. As Ellen says, "Anyway ....")

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with Ann, but then I usually do! I believe we all have to find out what works for us and stick to that program. Too many variables to suggest there is one "good way of eating."

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Ann2, I am a Cultural Anthropologist and have read gazillion academic articles and references that some what supports your comment regarding ethnic variation of food preferences and tolerances. In the scheme of things agribusiness and mass production of food stuffs is but a drop in a vast ocean in our human history.

If you saw the film, you'd know they don't avocate for any food pyramid and they concluded there is not one good way of eating, but do lean toward a Paleo argument. And their research for this film is to support their argument that our bodies are built to be carnivores, and even one scientist says that evidence on veganism is inconclusive because lack of evidence needed to study it, but thats not to say groups did not do well or that it didn't exist.

Their other argument is against processed grains into flours, which strips grains of the nutrients our bodies need. And to be cautious of food labels as they are misleading. I am guilty of not having truly read and be properly informed about the ingredients listed on products claiming whole grains or healthy. I am more conscious and better discerning about food labels now. Not because of the film, but years of experience and research to lose weight and better my health.

Excellent (paying it forward) advice from Tinman... and it's exactly what my nutritionist has said to me, and what the narrator of the film has discovered in his own journey for optimal health too.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thanks for the shout out.

Make a plan, work that plan, own the results, change as necessary.

The "own the results" may be the most important component in that phrase. I'll tell you why. When you try a specific way of eating, one of two things will happen. You'll either succeed or not succeed. When you don't succeed, it's not the end of the world. All you have done is identified one way that does not work for you. Think Thomas Edison's saying about inventing the light bulb.

Since you will be sleeved for the rest of your life, you have plenty of time to find that special combination of the four Pillars that will work well for you. The old WLS saying, "this is not a race but a marathon" is very appropriate. By taking the time to do things in a measured, methodical approach, you will be setting yourself up for a lifetime of easy maintenance. A great example is Ann. She's found the perfect combination of the four pillars that work for her and I'm betting she'll tell you that the maintenance phase of her life is much easier than the losing phase.

So, owning the results is crucial to success. If you stick to a plan for a few weeks, and I mean really stick to it, then you'll know in your heart of hearts whether or not that is the path you should take.

Remember........

You are not on a diet.
    Since you are not on a diet, you cannot be failing at a diet.

Peace.

14. Said thanks: