Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-13-2017 05:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Lightbulb Strongly Considering Surgery after recent health news.

Hello out there to everyone in this community. A few weeks ago, after a couple of years of arguing with doctors, (Have gained almost 100lbs since my wedding day in 2012) going to nutritionists, being more physically active and physically stronger then ever, (4 days a week of kickboxing, walking and belly dancing) I got some health news I wasn't expecting.

I met with an Endocrine Doctor who ran a long list of tests and blood work. At my first appointment, he asked me a number of questions, including, facial acne (even still at the age of 31), hair growth (facial and around the stomach), irregular periods even while being on the pill (since the age of 16 for medical reasons), (months of almost no periods, then a couple of months of the most painful and heavy periods i have every had in my life.)

At my follow up appointment I felt like I got kicked in the stomach. It was kind of a 2 for one deal. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome with most of the time goes hand in hand with insulin resistance. (started taking Metformin) Even though I did get answers I am still left with a lot of questions. Because I work out and eat healthy and the endocrine doctor doesnt want me to have diabetes in the the next few years, he suggested looking into weight loss surgery.

I have appointments lined up early in the new year with an OBGYN and weightloss doctors and surgeons to get more information. Ive been looking into all the different options available but I keep coming back to reading about the Sleeve.

What is some questions I should be asking these doctors? What can I expect from these meetings? This is all still fresh and new to me, so I am trying to find all the information I can gather. My husband is not so sure about the possibilty of surgery, but I dont want to have to rely on the possibilty of having to take insulin for the rest of my life.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Ramiro Sonny Cavazos
    Last Activity
    02-12-2018 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Strongly Considering Surgery after recent health news.

I had the sleeve and was taken off insulin soon after. I also had PCOS. I ended up with a hysterectomy before the sleeve surgery. Ask if the sleeve is the best option for you or would the full gastric bypass be better. Ask how many vitamins will you be expected to take after surgery. What is his success rate? Is this a Center of Excellence? How long have you been offering the sleeve surgery? How many sleeve surgeries have you done in total? How many do you preform in a month? in a week? What hospital do you use? What pre op testing do you require? Are you able to help me get insurance approval? Do you have self pay options? Do you have an active support group? Do you provide psychological counseling? Will you work with my primary Dr? Would you share your complications and mortality rates? (I had 1 Dr refuse so I went to another and he gladly shared it with me) What size do you make the sleeve and how much weight do you expect me to lose? If there is complications and you are not available is there another Dr on call?
    I hope those questions help. They are the ones I used when I interviewed Drs.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Strongly Considering Surgery after recent health news.

I am happy I had the sleeve. The sleeve has the least amount of complications and great success rates. As for what to ask the doctor, I'd suggest the following:
    -Have you performed the sleeve on people with PCOS?
    -What is your success rate for people with PCOS?
    -Is there any reason you think that the sleeve may not be the best option for me?
    -What are the pros and cons for me getting the sleeve?

Just some thoughts. Hope they're helpful. If you're still considering other surgeries make sure you discuss al options with your doctor.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-13-2017 05:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thumbs up Re: Strongly Considering Surgery after recent health news.

Thank you both very much. All that information is very helpful! I'll be doing more research before my appt and will write down and ask all those questions.