Dr. Scott
    Last Activity
    02-21-2018 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Default Hemorrhoidectomy 6 months after Gastric Sleeve - or Anytime After

Hello all,

I have just reached the 6 month post-op of my sleeve surgery and I have been recovering for the past few days from a hemorrhoidectomy.

I have to say the pain and complications from this hemorrhoidectomy are the fiercest of any surgery I have ever had - including spinal fusion in my neck.

Has anyone had this surgery and what was your experience, particularly in light of having the sleeve?

Something very disheartening came to light the day after my hemorrhoidectomy. Before surgery I weighed in at a low 236 pounds. Recovery is a blur but they got me out of the hospital pretty quick - I went home and realized that I could not pee. I felt that I had to, that slight burning sensation at the end of your urethra telling you to go pee - but nothing was coming out, I called the doctor and they told me since it had been at least 12 hours since I last urinated to go on to the E.R. So I did.

They did an ultra sound on my bladder and said there was nothing there. But I sure felt the need to go. So they loaded me up on liquids until a scan showed there was fluid in my bladder. It took (3) IVs and 64 oz. of water. Not including any IVs I had during the surgery in the first place.

I was finally BARELY able to squeeze a little pee out, so I was released with a summary saying it was dehydration.

I was shocked the next morning to see that I had gained 11 pounds. Every drop fluid. It's been 5 days since my surgery and I have only dropped 5 of the 11 pounds I gained overnight

Back to the hemorrhoidectomy. The pain is so unbearable. When I am not on painkillers it feels like I have been eaten out between my legs by wild dogs. From the tip of my urethra to my rectum. The only way I can pee is by pouring a hot sits bath, enough to cover my junk, and that relaxes the muscles enough for me to urinate in the tub. I have to do this every time.

To complicate matters, I have to stay on laxatives to keep the stool soft because pain killers (which are absolutely mandatory for this) would turn my bowels into concrete. And the last thing you want to pass after having hemorrhoids removed is a concrete Christmas tree.

Anyway - I will be returning to work tomorrow and I'm very apprehensive about it - still not being able to pee without the aid of a bath.

Before having the hemorrhoidectomy I used the internet to try to educate myself a little more on it. Of course I never read anything or watched any videos concerning it unless it was a horror story. I am use to this however, since 99% of the time only pissed off people react online.

Well, I'm here to tell you emphatically, from my experience, the horror stories are true. I'm sure eventually I will be happy this is over and the hemorrhoids are gone, but taking them out has lived to (or should I say down to) its reputation.

BTW - the only reason I had this procedure done so close to my sleeve surgery is because during a regular exam the doctor found polyps. A colonoscopy revealed that the largest polyp was pre-cancerous - so they wanted to go ahead an remove the hemorrhoids too.

Hope I didn't make anyone choke on their cornflakes.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member EzekielsWheel's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott
    Last Activity
    02-21-2018 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Default Re: Hemorrhoidectomy 6 months after Gastric Sleeve - or Anytime After

MOD - PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE CORRECT FORUM SECTION.

Thank you.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I hope you get well soon!

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Cornflakes have too many carbs...lol

Sorry about your butt, but it'll get better and you'll be glad they're gone. I think I'll keep mine, though, after that horror story you just told!

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193