11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Savoie
    Last Activity
    12-08-2016 09:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 3 days post-op and feeling optimistic!

After dieting off and on (and when I say 'off' and 'on' I mean OFF and ON!) since I was 13, and having lost and gained 50, 60, 70 pounds at least half a dozen times, I decided to make the big step and get the lap band surgery in January 2013. I had considered the sleeve but felt it was too invasive and I thought the lap band was the better choice....Oh silly me. It was an issue for me from the start. I couldn't swallow anything! And it did nothing to curb my appetite. But I was determined to make it work, so for over a year I starved and I threw up...A lot. I lost 70 pounds and felt much better. But then I got tired of being hungry all the time and I started making poor choices again. Sound familiar to anyone? This has been me for most of my life. Either on the wagon...Or so far off the wagon it's kicking dust up in my face! So I gained back all the weight I had lost. Back to 280 pounds and sore and uncomfortable, and most importantly, not living my life the way I wanted to..AGAIN!

So in early 2016 I decided to have the band removed, and this past Monday I had the bariatric sleeve surgery. I had been through the prep work before...2 weeks of diabetic Boost (which I can't take because my stomach is super sensitive to something in those drinks and they ALL make me vomit), so I took Adkins bars instead. Needless to say, you get pretty damn sick of anything that you eat for 4 meals a day, 2 weeks straight and it was no different with this. They are so friggin' sweet. But it is done now and like I kept saying to myself "many others have done this before me so suck it up and deal". I lost 15 pounds pre-surgery and even losing that amount made it easier to walk up stairs.

I admit I was way more nervous for this surgery than the previous band placement and removal (and even my 2 previous C-sections!) but the surgeon was very competent and made me feel better. The surgery went well and I woke up with very little pain. 1st night was as expected as they wake you up every couple of hours to check vitals and check my incisions. Not much sleep and I was a nauseous as could be. Couldn't even swallow a sip of water without dry heaving. 2nd day was much of the same. Couldn't keep anything down but slept much better. They wouldn't release me from the hospital until I could keep liquids down and I was still on the IV...Day 3 was much better as I could take liquids (VERY SLOWLY!!) and the surgeon agreed to release me from the hospital. I am lucky that I have a fairly high tolerence for pain and since the surgery have not taken any pain meds at all. Between having to inject myself with the blood thinner needle daily in the stomach (kind of freaked me out that did!) and the chewable multiple vitamins, and the Tecta to control stomach acid, and my regular high blood pressure and diabetes medication, I feel like a human pharmacy!

So it's now 4 days in. I actually have had more pain today than any day since the surgery. This made me nervous, but from reading previous posts I understand that this is normal. I have not done a whole lot of moving around but I'm thrilled to be home and I'm looking at all my options for protein shakes and trying to make all liquid snacks interesting. If anyone has recipes to share for these they would be appreciated!

All I can say is that for years I heard people comment about how obese people just needed more 'self control' and to a degree that might be accurate for some. But in general, I wish they could understand the lengths we are willing to go to be a healthier, thinner and better us. My newly adopted moto is 'My new best self is in my hands, not my mouth!!' And the process continues...

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kane
    Last Activity
    06-17-2020 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts

Default Re: 3 days post-op and feeling optimistic!

Congrats on taking steps to a healthier life! I'm sorry you had to go through all that with the sleeve, but hopefully things will be better this time! It's been 5 1/2 months since my sleeve surgery, I'm down 70.5 lbs and feeling terrific! I do get hungry and sometimes need to eat every 2-3 hours, but I know for the rest of my life that needs to be high protein, low carb! I do occasionally allow myself a few bites of sweets or bread or chips or pizza or whatever, but I track everything on MFP and I don't think of it as cheating. It's a lifestyle of mostly healthy choices with a few treats in moderation. I can live with that! The liquid and soft phases are kind of rough, but once you can eat real food again things are much better. Good luck and post with your progress!

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the surgery. Keep us posted with your progress! I had mine in June and am so happy I did this!

Gastric Sleeve Member Udesirekye's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    06-04-2017 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaB View Post
    After dieting off and on (and when I say 'off' and 'on' I mean OFF and ON!) since I was 13, and having lost and gained 50, 60, 70 pounds at least half a dozen times, I decided to make the big step and get the lap band surgery in January 2013. I had considered the sleeve but felt it was too invasive and I thought the lap band was the better choice....Oh silly me. It was an issue for me from the start. I couldn't swallow anything! And it did nothing to curb my appetite. But I was determined to make it work, so for over a year I starved and I threw up...A lot. I lost 70 pounds and felt much better. But then I got tired of being hungry all the time and I started making poor choices again. Sound familiar to anyone? This has been me for most of my life. Either on the wagon...Or so far off the wagon it's kicking dust up in my face! So I gained back all the weight I had lost. Back to 280 pounds and sore and uncomfortable, and most importantly, not living my life the way I wanted to..AGAIN!

So in early 2016 I decided to have the band removed, and this past Monday I had the bariatric sleeve surgery. I had been through the prep work before...2 weeks of diabetic Boost (which I can't take because my stomach is super sensitive to something in those drinks and they ALL make me vomit), so I took Adkins bars instead. Needless to say, you get pretty damn sick of anything that you eat for 4 meals a day, 2 weeks straight and it was no different with this. They are so friggin' sweet. But it is done now and like I kept saying to myself "many others have done this before me so suck it up and deal". I lost 15 pounds pre-surgery and even losing that amount made it easier to walk up stairs.

I admit I was way more nervous for this surgery than the previous band placement and removal (and even my 2 previous C-sections!) but the surgeon was very competent and made me feel better. The surgery went well and I woke up with very little pain. 1st night was as expected as they wake you up every couple of hours to check vitals and check my incisions. Not much sleep and I was a nauseous as could be. Couldn't even swallow a sip of water without dry heaving. 2nd day was much of the same. Couldn't keep anything down but slept much better. They wouldn't release me from the hospital until I could keep liquids down and I was still on the IV...Day 3 was much better as I could take liquids (VERY SLOWLY!!) and the surgeon agreed to release me from the hospital. I am lucky that I have a fairly high tolerence for pain and since the surgery have not taken any pain meds at all. Between having to inject myself with the blood thinner needle daily in the stomach (kind of freaked me out that did!) and the chewable multiple vitamins, and the Tecta to control stomach acid, and my regular high blood pressure and diabetes medication, I feel like a human pharmacy!

So it's now 4 days in. I actually have had more pain today than any day since the surgery. This made me nervous, but from reading previous posts I understand that this is normal. I have not done a whole lot of moving around but I'm thrilled to be home and I'm looking at all my options for protein shakes and trying to make all liquid snacks interesting. If anyone has recipes to share for these they would be appreciated!

All I can say is that for years I heard people comment about how obese people just needed more 'self control' and to a degree that might be accurate for some. But in general, I wish they could understand the lengths we are willing to go to be a healthier, thinner and better us. My newly adopted moto is 'My new best self is in my hands, not my mouth!!' And the process continues...
    I'm day 4 after surgery and I too seem to be in more pain than before :/ but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can keep my liquids down and actually have an appetite. ..which I'm hoping isn't bad. I have been moving around some but it does hurt like hell. Im drinking broth, premier shakes,
    Water and crystal lite. I'm happy to not be going through this alone (well I kinda am cuz my whole family is 3000 miles away) but my fiancé helps.
    Please keep me updated on your journey and progress. I'm sure great out comes will be!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WELCOME to the sleeved side!

I spent eight long years trying unsuccessfully to rid myself of health-related weight gain, only to gain more and become MORE unhealthy! This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

This is NOT a magic tool. Though if used properly it is a very powerful tool.

You can use the search feature at the top left of the page or search the groups for the recipes you mentioned.

Best of luck as you continue your journey!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Congrats on your surgery! I loved your story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I think most of us can relate to you very well. I haven't had my surgery yet, but reading your post helped me a lot. I hope you feel better/heal up soon!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Elena Bartoli
    Surgery date
    10/04/2016
    Surgeon
    Fontana
    Last Activity
    12-15-2016 03:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 53 Times

Carnation instant breakfast with a scoop of protein in the morning is great. I use water and crushed ice. In the afternoon protein powder with crystal light is good. Also Pb2 with vanilla powder I like. Hope this helps.

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Savoie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I'm settling in and although I have been following the instructions to a T and making sure I'm getting lots of protein, I am still hungry. Did anyone else experience this? I simply can't take anymore protein powder but is there anything else that would help?

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Savoie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thank you and congratulations on your success. I'm sure you don't feel like the same person and that the new you is very happy with the results!

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

SF popsicles and gatorade were 2 of my best friends from the beginning..soups and broth will satisfy u briefly.... but the time will pass and u will b able to eat more filling foods soon... best of luck..

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael P Choi
    Last Activity
    04-30-2023 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hey we are twinnies! I also had my sleeve Nov 14! As for the liquid diet, I have a juicer and my doctor said, "If you can juice veggies and fruits, you can have it week 1 and 2 all you want". I was a little perplexed that it wasn't on my diet sheet and I had to ask...I don't eat aspartame and I don't do decaf (both have unnecessary chemicals) and I don't do meat or meat broths or Jell-O. I was a bit scared that I was going to be existing on vegetable broth and water until I asked about juices. I get great recipes from Joe Cross's site Reboot With Joe, his documentary is "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". After just drinking veggie broth, Joe's Mean Green tastes like a 4 course meal!!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael P Choi
    Last Activity
    04-30-2023 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

PS Most juice recipes have every nutrient that you need!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/02/2016
    Surgeon
    MACIK
    Last Activity
    04-10-2017 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Congratulations!!!! Love the positive attitude! There's a belief that 90% of what happens to us is framed by our attitude towards it. I hope to carry this attitude with me to surgery in 6 days! Keep up the good work! Keep us informed of your progress!

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Savoie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Glad to hear that you found something that worked for you. Like you, I don't do asperthame and have a hard time digesting the protein powder. I made it through the 2 weeks of liquids however and have now moved on to puree. Never thought I would be so glad to eat the equivalent of baby food!! A friend of mine who has gone through the process advised me not to get on the scale until at least week 4. Of course I didn't listen to this and was a little disheartened to see that not only did I not lose anything in the last week...I actually gained a few pounds!! I have been following the guidelines to a T and measuring everything but still gained. Apparently this is normal as our bodies adjust to the reduced amount of food we are taking in. I will say that I notice it in my clothes so that is one small plus. Have you noticed this too?

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaB View Post
    Glad to hear that you found something that worked for you. Like you, I don't do asperthame and have a hard time digesting the protein powder. I made it through the 2 weeks of liquids however and have now moved on to puree. Never thought I would be so glad to eat the equivalent of baby food!! A friend of mine who has gone through the process advised me not to get on the scale until at least week 4. Of course I didn't listen to this and was a little disheartened to see that not only did I not lose anything in the last week...I actually gained a few pounds!! I have been following the guidelines to a T and measuring everything but still gained. Apparently this is normal as our bodies adjust to the reduced amount of food we are taking in. I will say that I notice it in my clothes so that is one small plus. Have you noticed this too?
    Yay! Congrats on noticing your weight loss in your clothes!