Dr. Wells
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default New here and super nervous!!

I have finished all of the pre-auth requirements for insurance purposes and the doctor office is sending everything up tomorrow. Once that comes back (hopefully as approved) then I will have two weeks of Pre-op diet of nothing but the Protein Shakes. (and a few baby carrots and a very small amnt of broth)

I am super nervous about this whole process. I started gaining weight because of PCOS and having that causes me to not be able to lose the weight either. I know that everyone says that the Gastric Sleeve will help tremendously with people with PCOS, but I am afraid that I will be the minority and it won't work. I am a 36 years old female that is 5'2 and weigh 205 pounds. I have sleep apnea, so I am never truly rested because my CPAP machine bothers me. I want more energy, and I don't want my back and joints to hurt all of the time. I am tired of having everything I wear be so tight that it hurts. I want to be able to bend over and not have all of the blood circulation be cut off and this might be a little TMI, but I want to be able to take a shower and not feel like I am performing yoga just to reach all of my body parts!! I have tried every diet known to man and exercised like a mad woman and not lost a pound. I know that being sleeved will be difficult, but I am ready...I just hope insurance says yes.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Default Re: New here and super nervous!!

Welcome! I have PCOS, along with a host of other things. I'm off my PCOS meds now (actually I'm off all my meds, yay!) My periods are totally regular now and it's so easy to track my cycle. I definitely lost weight despite the PCOS and other health issues. You'll do great!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello, I also have PCOS, endometriosis and many other health issues. I'm only ten months out, and the sleeve does work. I lost enough so far to feel a big relief on the join pain issue. Of course after being unsuccessful for years with our diets, the sleeve can be scary at first because we are so used to fail that it's a big challenge. But this time it's really different, and if you follow your guideline you will be fine.
    I'm a slow loser because I'm over 40 and dealing with all those hormone issues. But so far so good! My surgeon is really happy about my results, I'm happy too because it's so nice to be able to feel more "normal", not need an extension belt in a plane, find clothing everywhere...
    The first month was not a walk in the park and I was really exhausted. But everything was worth it! no regrets! good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Udesirekye's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    06-04-2017 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I was told I have sleep apnea so I was very nervous. I just had my sleeve done Monday and just came home today. You will be fine! You'll see. There's also a lot of ppl on you tube that you can follow their success with the sleeve.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WELCOME!

It's normal to feel anxious/nervous/scared/excited all at the same time. This is a life changing decision...for the better.

This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner. This is NOT a magic tool. Though if used properly it is a very powerful tool.

I highly recommend watching Dr Matthew Weiner videos on YouTube. They're full of useful information. Ask Dr A is also on YouTube and may answer a lot of your questions.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member astallons's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wells
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you to everyone that responded! It's very encouraging to see so many people with PCOS be successful with the sleeve!

Now, I am just being impatient to hear back from insurance on whether it is approved or not. The office just sent everything up on 11/17/16, but that feels like forever ago. I hope I hear something quickly...if not, I may not have any fingernails left!!

How long did it take for y'all to get your approval back from insurance once they submitted?