10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    08-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Why can I eat everything...and so much?

I'm happy...but freaked out...I haven't had a single issue, other than some extra heartburn, with anything I've eaten. I feel hungry, though I do fill up faster than I used to - but I can still eat more than I expected I would be able to. Anyone else have a similar experience this early on (almost 4 weeks post-op)?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why can I eat everything...and so much?

I wish i had the magic answer

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rob
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    12-01-2016 12:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Are you still losing weight? I would think that is the most important thing....

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-07-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I am 5 1/2 weeks out, and I feel like I can eat more than last week. I used to be able to only eat like 3/4 of a hard boiled egg, now I can eat the whole thing. I do feel hungry....like stomach growling loud hungry. It makes me wonder if they took that hunger hormone out?? I still limit myself, I try not to over eat, I don't want to stretch out my stomach. I stay away from sweets and carbs....I try to eat as much protein as I can and still either have a shake or a 30g protein bar a day.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Renee
    Surgery date
    10/05/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jason Balette
    Last Activity
    12-03-2016 08:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm having the exact experience. I'm 4 weeks out, today. I have stalled at 27 lbs, so I have to figure out what I need to change. I get my protein in and the minimum water requirements, so maybe I need to up the fluids.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags2113 View Post
    Hi, I am 5 1/2 weeks out, and I feel like I can eat more than last week. I used to be able to only eat like 3/4 of a hard boiled egg, now I can eat the whole thing. I do feel hungry....like stomach growling loud hungry. It makes me wonder if they took that hunger hormone out?? I still limit myself, I try not to over eat, I don't want to stretch out my stomach. I stay away from sweets and carbs....I try to eat as much protein as I can and still either have a shake or a 30g protein bar a day.
    Growling doesn't always mean hunger. It could just be digestive noises. Go by other signs of hunger, like actual pain, headache, lightheadedness, brain fog, sweating or shaking (indicating low blood sugar). Or eat at predetermined times, like every 3-4 hours.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/24/2016
    Surgeon
    Rita Hadley
    Last Activity
    11-16-2016 11:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm 10 days post op & was wondering the same thing since my friend who is 6 mos post op along with others that I follow have said that a tsp or 2 would make them full. I was able to drink 8oz of my protein shake within 15 minutes today. I found out that there are different sleeve sizes. Most restrictive ranging from 32-38 & mine is a 40. I feel like I'm going to lose at a much much slower rate & it's very discouraging. Find out what size your sleeve is.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by TinaBina View Post
    I'm 10 days post op & was wondering the same thing since my friend who is 6 mos post op along with others that I follow have said that a tsp or 2 would make them full. I was able to drink 8oz of my protein shake within 15 minutes today. I found out that there are different sleeve sizes. Most restrictive ranging from 32-38 & mine is a 40. I feel like I'm going to lose at a much much slower rate & it's very discouraging. Find out what size your sleeve is.
    Oh wow, I had no idea! Interesting question for my next doc visit...

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Srhultberg View Post
    I'm having the exact experience. I'm 4 weeks out, today. I have stalled at 27 lbs, so I have to figure out what I need to change. I get my protein in and the minimum water requirements, so maybe I need to up the fluids.
    I think I should probably drink more water, even though I am drinking a decent amount. I am trying to focus on protein, but there have been moments where I felt like I needed to try eating some of the things I was deprived of while on the liquids diet. Old habits die hard, I guess...

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mags2113 View Post
    I definitely feel like I can eat more than I should be able to - but it's probably only when I'm eating less protein type things, so I guess I really need to try harder to pack in the protein and the water...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by rsw8dy View Post
    Are you still losing weight? I would think that is the most important thing....
    I'm trying not to weigh myself because a bunch of people told me to stop obsessing...so I'm not sure.

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

It's nothing more than what you are eating. If you can eat, then you should try to eat dense animal proteins. There isn't a cookie cutter plan that works for everyone. Dense animal proteins will fill you up faster and keep you fuller than shakes and mushy foods that are high in carbs at this point. You will need to eat carbs and fat, in the future, in order to keep your metabolism fueled. Protein is what kicks your metabolism into gear and fat and carbs are what fuels it. Now, this is all my opinion, but, an opinion that is grounded in a big ass dose of been there and done that. My plan for losing and for maintenance is one that advocates for carbs and fat in order to keep the metabolism in high gear. Lots of folks on here have tried and succeeded using my methods. Will it work for you? Maybe. My way works for me, but it is definitely not the only way. You will need to find your own plan and work it.

Since each of us is different, it only makes sense that each of us is going to be able to move on to more solid foods quicker than others. There was a guy in my sleeve group that actually ate a street taco in TJ the day we left the clinic. His stomach did not explode. He lost his weight and continues to keep it off. For me, I had to wait about three to four weeks before I could stomach solids and then it was only lentils with sausage and cottage cheese. At about month 3 I ate some steak and that was that.

Research my threads and you will find lots and lots of pages of my rants and drivel. Some of the successful sleevers on here who worked my plan to a tee include dawnrogers7, Jessiejess, and others. There was also a sleever who used to contribute a lot on here but doesn't anymore by the name of Truffles.

Truffles was my girl.

We were in the same sleeve group and she did it absolutely, positively 180 degrees differently than me and she smacked it out of the ballpark. Another one is Ann2. Anne is also my girl. She did it completely differently than me too, but, she's also a superstar loser. Look both of these fine women up and you'll definitely see a different perspective.

In the end, it'll be up to you to make a plan, work your plan, own your results, and change as necessary.

Peace.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    It's nothing more than what you are eating. If you can eat, then you should try to eat dense animal proteins. There isn't a cookie cutter plan that works for everyone. Dense animal proteins will fill you up faster and keep you fuller than shakes and mushy foods that are high in carbs at this point. You will need to eat carbs and fat, in the future, in order to keep your metabolism fueled. Protein is what kicks your metabolism into gear and fat and carbs are what fuels it. Now, this is all my opinion, but, an opinion that is grounded in a big ass dose of been there and done that. My plan for losing and for maintenance is one that advocates for carbs and fat in order to keep the metabolism in high gear. Lots of folks on here have tried and succeeded using my methods. Will it work for you? Maybe. My way works for me, but it is definitely not the only way. You will need to find your own plan and work it.

Since each of us is different, it only makes sense that each of us is going to be able to move on to more solid foods quicker than others. There was a guy in my sleeve group that actually ate a street taco in TJ the day we left the clinic. His stomach did not explode. He lost his weight and continues to keep it off. For me, I had to wait about three to four weeks before I could stomach solids and then it was only lentils with sausage and cottage cheese. At about month 3 I ate some steak and that was that.

Research my threads and you will find lots and lots of pages of my rants and drivel. Some of the successful sleevers on here who worked my plan to a tee include dawnrogers7, Jessiejess, and others. There was also a sleever who used to contribute a lot on here but doesn't anymore by the name of Truffles.

Truffles was my girl.

We were in the same sleeve group and she did it absolutely, positively 180 degrees differently than me and she smacked it out of the ballpark. Another one is Ann2. Anne is also my girl. She did it completely differently than me too, but, she's also a superstar loser. Look both of these fine women up and you'll definitely see a different perspective.

In the end, it'll be up to you to make a plan, work your plan, own your results, and change as necessary.

Peace.
    This is a fantastic post! Thanks so much! I'll start digging.

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

yeppers! i read tinmans advice and Ann2 as well! I never ever over eat and i stick to dense proteins. Now Truffles I'll have to look her up. SO again thanks for the info. You really should put out a book tinman. It would be a success. Thnaks for always finding the time to help people on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post

Truffles was my girl.

Peace.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-28-2016 08:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dear Anon7, I see you listed Dr. Arif Ahmad as your surgeon. Congratulations on your 1 month anniversary! Sorry to see you're concerned about portion control. If you have not already done so, please call our nutrition team at 631 686 2513 to set up a follow up appointment with the nutritionists. As always, our Doctors are here to see you to answer any questions or concerns.

If I can be of any assistance, you can reach me directly at 631 686 1432.

Take care,

Benjamin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast