Last Activity
    01-09-2017 04:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Need some help with SUGAR

Hi,

I'm a male, 5'10, starting weight 315.

I was sleeved on 9/22/16 at 296lbs. I'm now 271.4...

After surgery I could not stand protein shakes of any sort, so I tried to drink as much liquids as possible. I tried not to have any sugar but because I wasn't consuming any other sort of calories, I starting adding juices to my diet slowly, diluted. Slowly I just began drinking juices instead of any sugar free drinks as I can't stand the artificial seeetener taste. I even had regular Italian ices instead of sugar free popsicles. I am losing weight, but I know my sugar intake is definitely hindering my progress.

Also, pureed food makes me sick, I have an entire shelf in my fridge with puréed foods that I just don't want! Ugh I feel like I'm failing at this and it's only been 22 days.

Any suggestions?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need some help with SUGAR

I'm almost 9 month out. Right after surgery I was vomiting non stop for three days and had to drink juice mixed with water because I couldn't stand just water. For at least six month I was really nauseous and did drink juice sometimes but from month 3 I was able to have only water (iced) and I was drinking herbal tea or decaf green tea for substance, it did help. I couldn't stand many of the protein shakes and had to make my own with unflavored protein powder mixed with PB2 and unsweetend organic cocoa (Sunwarrior because I like vegan or even organic whey) I also liked the already made Orgain, I liked to have one always ready in the fridge. Those are a little sweet but not as bad as others.
    I try to avoid sugar at all cost. When I need something sweet I use agave or even a little honey. But not everyday. It's normal during the first month to "crave sugar" because you eat nothing...but you have to replace that with protein really soon because your body needs it. Try several samples of protein, you should be able to find something you like. Around week two I was allowed to have soups with meat mixed in it...it is good proteins. eat little tiny spoons the size of a peanut....take your time to eat it should be ok. And don't forget to take your vitamins! Good luck!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member michael95472's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Im pretty sure after 3 weeks I was nibbling on canned soup. Canned soup is cooked pretty good and easy to eat. I must have eaten every flavor my local Vons carried. I didnt really follow my surgeons advice to a T. I too eat too much sugar. I seems like as soon as my glucose levels dropped and I got off my diabetes meds,my brain craved more sugar. I eat lollipops way too often. I lost 170 in a little over a year. I went from morbid obese down to just being over weight. Charts on the internet say I should lose 30 more pounds to be "normal". I am happy where I am at , I can eat whatever I want, but I dont over indulge. I could probably lose more weight if I went on a "diet" but I suck at dieting , thats why I had the sleeve done. If I am reading your numbers correct you have lost 25 mounds in 22 days. That is very good progress if you ask me. They say us guys lose faster than the women do. Look for a man on here that goes by the name of Tinman, I follow his rule of sleeve weight loss and it has worked for me. Maybe you can find him and read some of his post about dieting and nutrition. Keep up the good work.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Okay, you can consider this the "tough love" response, and I really do mean it with love. I care about you, even though we've never met, and I want you to be successful. I don't really know you of course, but based on your post, it sounds like you are both making excuses for your bad choices ("I need calories therefore I should just go ahead and eat Italian ices") and feeling sorry for yourself ('waah, I don't like protein shakes or pureed food and therefore I just won't eat them, and will eat Italian ices and fruit juice instead.")
    So, reassess your situation. At this point, you aren't eating for enjoyment, you are eating for nutrition, health, and healing after major trauma to your body. Don't like protein shakes or pureed food? Fine, whatever, suck it up (literally) and eat them anyway unless they physically make you throw up and you literally cannot keep them down.
    Don't like artificial sweeteners? Too bad, drink them anyway, but in the meantime order yourself some Unjury chicken soup flavored protein powder, Celebrate tomato soup protein powder, bariatric-friendly high protein soup (check out the selection at Nashua Nutrition) and unflavored protein powder. You can add unflavored protein powder to warm broth or creamed soup.
    Most people on the pureed stage are allowed to eat things like cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, refried beans, scrambled or poached eggs, and Eggface's ricotta bake (Google it if you don't have the recipe). Surely you can find something to eat that doesn't make you gag?
    If you are developing a serious food aversion and continue to refuse anything but fruit juice and Italian ice (NOT HEALTHY) then seek out your bariatric team and ask for a consult with their dietitian and their counselor if they have one on staff. Good luck!