Surgeon
    not sure yet
    Last Activity
    11-03-2016 05:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Hello

I am just posting my introduction. I'm mostly in the dreaming phase...Ive decided that I am going to have something done, just haven't decided whether it will be the ball or sleeve. I'd prefer the sleeve but im still wondering if I'd be going to far or not. Im 5' 9'' 200lbs but Ive tried everything to get the pounds of and nothing has worked. My concren is after ive lost the 40lbs will i be able to stop losing, I know people lose lots of weight but I dont really to go past the 40 mark, Anyone with stories or helpul advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for having me as a part of your group, Ive been thinking about this for about a year and Im soooo ready!
    You can't start the NEW chapters of your life, if you keep re-reading the last one.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Marcella
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Roy Brancatisano
    Last Activity
    04-24-2017 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: Hello

Hi, welcome. It's not an easy decision is it? Especially if you've had many try and fail attempts (like I have) in the past. It took me almost a year to decide, now I'm booked in to have sleeve surgery on November 21st. At this point in time I can't really answer any questions you have, all I can't say is welcome to the site. You're sure to find heaps of helpful info on here which may help with your decision. I guess at the end of the day you need to ask yourself if by having the sleeve done, is it going too far if it means you're going to have a much longer and better quality of life?

Good luck with your decision and starting your new journey, you will find a lot of help, support and advice from others on here ��

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WELCOME!

This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

You've come to by far the best site for support, no-nonsense suggestions, knowledge, wisdom and experience.

As you read the posts from the veterans you'll find many who have successfully maintained their weight. I'm a newbie and have learned how to maintain since August 1, 2016. There's a great many posts you can search, like "What's on your menu" to learn how it's done.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome and Hello

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Usually bariatric surgery is for people with a BMI over 40 unless they have comorbidities. Your BMI is at 29 so basically from a medical/insurance point of view you don't qualify. Now, people who are really morbidly obese can do all diets in the world, their metabolism is "gone too far" and almost no one can lose the weight and keep it off when they reach that stage. Before being obese losing 30 pounds and keep it off was doable for me. I was also much younger..
    I was slightly overweight before becoming obese with my first pregnancy and the difference before/after was just incredible. When I became obese my body didn't respond to diet like it did before. Long story short: I think it's a decision you have to make after looking at other aspects like age, diet, work out regimen, medical issues? Sometimes just "40" pounds is already a lot ....especially with hormonal problems. The balloon is a good alternative to surgery. You keep it 6 months, you should be ok by then. If it's not working you can still have the sleeve after...good luck and take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Blove2012's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-11-2017 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Welcome! I was in a very similar situation to you. I am 5'8" and was about 200 when I decided to have the surgery. My goal is 140 to 150--depending on how my face looks when I get there! LOL

Anyway, unless you have a number of health issues, you will likely not qualify for insurance, however you can do self pay. I did. (Most insurances don't cover anyway).

My decision was made because I suffer PCOS and hypothryroidism. No matter what I tried (weight watchers, nutrisystem, calorie counting, exercise, diet pills, you name it), my weight continued to climb. I struggled to even maintain and losing was impossible. I had become depressed and desperate. I know that this may seem extreme for someone wishing to lose 50 pounds or so, but I truly felt it was my only option. That is not to say that it is easy or will work forever. It may not be the solution for you. Only you know how much you have tried to lose and how effective you were and only you can determine if you are prepared to take such a drastic step. Per my doctor, Dr Ariel Ortiz, once a patient is 30 pounds overweight and has difficulty losing, the chances of losing the excess weight and keeping it off is below 10% without surgery. That is not impossible, but the odds are not in your favor.

As far as losing too much, it does happen but is very rare. My concern is still that I won't make it to my goal. I am not at all concerned that I will lose too much.

Best wishes to you on your decision and your journey, whatever you may decide.