Dr. Michael Seger
    Last Activity
    10-13-2016 06:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Still on the fence

Hello,

I have completed 2 of the 6 nutrition classes my insurance requires but I'm still on the fence and just feel really nervous about moving forward with getting sleeved. I've watched numerous YouTube videos that have helped but I'm still looking for more information to help convince myself that this is what I should do. My drs office is on top of everything and keeps calling to schedule appointments for my next nutrition class, psychological evaluation and an endoscopy. I guess it's getting real and that makes me anxious. At my heaviest I was about 225. I've started cutting carbs and am down to 204 right now so I wonder if I should just try to continue with watching every bite or if this is temporary progress. I also worry about whether or not to tell my friends and family. I'm surprised that I find myself feeling embarrassed about having to tell anyone besides my husband. I didn't think I'd care so much about what people think but I guess I'm figuring out that i do care and am afraid of being judged. Any encouragement or tips from others who have experienced this would be much appreciated.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dawnislas's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dawn
    Surgery date
    09/13/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cribbins
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 09:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Still on the fence

Even though I lost a good bit of weight pre-op, I was getting so tired of the high protein, low carb diet, I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain it as long as it would take me to lose the 70lbs. I was on 3 medications for diabetes and related issues. My endocrinologist told me the only way to lose the weight and get off the drugs was to have surgery. I fought it for about 3 years and finally relented and had my surgery on Sept. 13. I am 27 lbs down, cut all meds but my antidepressant, and I have cut that dose in half. I am doing great, went back to work after one week, exercising, and very happy. I think when you weigh all the alternatives and reflect on your weight loss success in the past, you can make your decision and feel at peace about it. But you really have to be honest about your past successes on keeping the weight off on your own. Good luck on your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/01/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Seger
    Last Activity
    10-13-2016 06:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks so much for your reply Dawn. That helps and you make a good point. I don't I can sustain the diet all on its own and I'm pretty sure I'll gain it back if I don't get serious about changing. Congratulations on your success and getting off of the meds. I know that must be very empowering. Back to work in one week sounds great. Do you remember how long it took you to heal from the incisions?

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WELCOME!

I've lost and regained more than I weighed at the time of surgery...in a few short years! This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

It's normal to feel anxious/nervous/scared/excited all at the same time. This is a life changing decision. My self-esteem is not wrapped up in what others think of me. And yet, I still didn't share this decision with the "Negative Nellies".

I made a 100% commitment to myself when I made this decision...Mind, Body and Spirit.
    I'm grateful to have the best therapist in the world! She's helped me get down to "Causes and Conditions". I've learned to cope with life's ups and downs WITHOUT turning to something or someone outside myself to make me feel better! Happiness is an INSIDE job! We don't talk about food or bingeing or anything of that sort.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

Without a doubt, the best decision I have made regarding my health and daily life. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I love my life and am proud of my body for the first time ever. I only regret not doing it sooner. I remember feeling ashamed of having to go this route in order to gain control of my health, but when I look in the mirror or cuddle with my husband, shame is an old feeling. Now I just feel joy and pride. G.ood luck and if you listen to your heart you will know what is right for you

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Donna Rudewick's Avatar
    Name
    Donna Rudewick
    Surgery date
    07/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Asahel Lee Gridley, MD
    Last Activity
    08-28-2017 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 55 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 210 Times
    Blog Entries

I was only 2lbs heavier than you when I started this journey in 2015. I had my surgery July 20th of this year and I'm already down 50lbs. No one can make this decision but you and everyones journey is different. What are the biggest concerns that are holding you back? I suggest writing those down and talking with your doctor about them. As far as others opinion of you for doing the surgery they don't have to know unless you tell them. And even then this isn't an easy way out. You still have to put in the work. I did this for me. Not anyone else. I was and am a type 2 diabetic on 5 shots a day plus oral meds. Currently I take 1 shot and have lowered my oral meds significantly. Soon I will be off all meds. I feel fantastic and my husband says I've never looked sexier to him. Way your options health wise and emotionally. Make the best decision for you not anyone else. Best of luck.

Post op lost 16 lbs.
    Month 1-20
    Month 2-8
    Month 3-10

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Romandona's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Caruana
    Last Activity
    03-16-2018 10:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

I went to the meetings and got the approvals 3 years ago but I backed out thinking I can do this . . . so I struggled for 3 years losing the same 30 pounds maybe 5 times. It was exhausting and bad for my health the yo-yo part. Then I decided it was time. I had my surgery March 2016 and I'm delighted to say I have only one regret - and it's that I didn't do it 3 years ago. I'm down 92 pounds. My life is better in every way!! Take the risk and you won't be sorry.

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I know I lost weight zillions of times, and always gained it back, plus more. The money I paid Weight Watchers over the years was a fortune!! The sleeve is the only tool that helped me lose the weight (quickly and easily I might add) and keep it off. It's a miracle in my book.

But maybe you're one of those who can lose it on your own. If so, go for it. That was not me.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-30-2017 12:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times

You can go on fooling yourself that you'll be disciplined enough to lose the weight, but you're just wasting time. The super human strength that it takes to deny yourself the pleasures of eating is an impossibility and who wants to live that way. I started yoyoing in my late twenties and was always buying into the latest gimmick which never worked. I had heard of the sleeve on tv when Rosie O'Donnell had hers. I mulled it over and last year decided to go for it. At 54 I had tried and failed everything. I only told my best friend because my family would never have let me go through with it. I went to Mexico and it was the best money I ever spent on myself. The youtube videos were very inspirational. I loved the transformations. Since last August I have lost 75 lbs. I look and feel great. I'm sleeping better, my knees aren't squeaking anymore when I go up the stairs, my medications for cholesterol and high blood pressure were lowered and I can't even imagine all the ailments that I avoided in the future. Although not as important I look better than I've looked in many years. I'm fitting into a size 4 pants (down from a 16). I'm feeling confident and love picking out my clothes in the morning instead of dreading it. The impact is far reaching. My advice is to think positively and go for it, although hard at first you will be thrilled six months from now when you step on the scale. Go for it.

20. Said thanks: