Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-10-2016 11:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default experienced sleevers! please help!! tell me about hair loss

Hi, I am thinking about getting the vsg but hearing about the massive amounts of hair loss after it, I'm getting second thoughts.

They say it grows back but I am skeptical if it will ever grow back to the fullness and thickness before getting the surgery.

I already have thin hair so I'm scared that I will go bald after the surgery

Please, tell me!! after couple years after the surgery has your hair returned to its state before getting the sleeve? or is it thinner/ less voluminous etc?

thanks for the replies in advance!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: experienced sleevers! please help!! tell me about hair loss

Yes, some people lose hair, but not to the point of baldness. It's just your body's reaction to the stress of surgery and it can happen with any surgery, not just WLS. And yes it grows back and it doesn't take years. And no, there's nothing you can do about it. No supplements or special products will prevent it.....if it happens it happens. But just because you have surgery doesn't mean you will definitely experience hairloss. I have very thin, fine hair, too and was totally prepared to shave my head if things started looking weird. But turns out I never lost a single strand. In fact, my hair is longer and stronger now than it's ever been, due to my improved nutrition. You certainly shouldn't rule out surgery just because of a temporary, strictly aesthetic reason like hairloss.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

From what I understand, it is a vitamin issue. If you keep up with your vitamins you should be OK. But then, I had a full head when I started in Aug. lol.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't been as lucky as Kindle, this last month has been particularly stressful due to a moving and some unexpected house repairs, and new job.

I'm doing between 100-120g of protein and I have a pretty good balanced diet. I stay hydrated. I take my vitamins everyday and my hair is still thinning out, it's manageable and I'm also seeing lots of new growth. My stylist suggested I only wash my hair once a week, I have to wash every three days because I use essential oils from Just Natural http://m.justnaturalskincare.com/#!/...9&sort=nameAsc on my scalp every night. I really don't know if that is what is working, but it makes me feel better about it.

If there comes a time I must do something drastic I found this other product online I may give a try http://www.philipkingsley.com/reward...efer/id/46984/

I am also ready to shave off my head if it gets too bad.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Name
    The Tina
    Surgery date
    10/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hata
    Last Activity
    01-22-2021 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi.
    My nutritionist recommended biotin to prevent hair loss. I took it for the first 6 months but didn't loose any hair so I stopped taking it. I don't know if it depends on the amount of weight loss but I had a friend who had the lap-band and lost 80 pounds and never had hair loss. Talk to your nutritionist (if you have one yet) about supplements.

Good Luck!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Here's a better explaination of why hair loss happens.....

The hair loss associated with bariatric surgery is called telogen effluvium and has to do with the normal hair growth cycle. It usually starts abruptly and very seldom lasts longer than 6 months. Human hair has a two stage growth cycle. The growth phase is called anagen and 90% of our hair follicles are in this phase at any given time. The resting phase is called telogen, which lasts about 1 to 6 months, with an average of 3 months. About 5-15% of our hair is in the resting phase at any given time. It is also known that telogen effluvium has to do with stress to the body and hormonal changes that can occur. Due to the stress more hair follicles can enter into the resting phase. This is important because the hair in the resting phase at the time of surgery is most likely the hair you will shed. This is why your hair sheds between 1 to 6 months after surgery (usually about3 to 4 months). When the hair starts to grow again the old hair follicle is released and you lose hair. Sometimes the hair comes out before new hair grows, yikes!

So in summary, this type of hair loss is a diffuse shedding of hair as it relates to the normal hair growth cycle. It is common in men and women and all races. It occurs a little more frequently in women typically after child birth and can also happen to infants after the first month or so of life.

Why does this happen in people who have bariatric surgery? The most common reasons are:

Surgery, acute illness, trauma
    Chronic disease such as liver disease or any chronic debilitating disease
    Hormonal imbalance such as hypothyroidism
    Crash dieting, low protein intake, anorexia, chronic iron deficiency
    Heavy metal toxicity
    Medications such as beta-blockers, excess vitamin A and anticoagulants

So, what we have here are a few things that may be affecting people with hair loss. It starts with surgery, a very low calorie intake and possibly low protein intake. Then you add any illness along the way, an underactive thyroid, iron deficiency, or genetics and you get hair loss of about 5-15% of your hair follicles. Other nutrients implicated in hair loss include zinc, biotin, folate, vitamin B-6 and essential fatty acids. (2) If no deficiency of these nutrients exists, then they will likely be of little use.

Relax and don’t worry. It is natural hair loss of 5-15% of your hair due to the stress of surgery and weight loss. It rarely lasts more than 6 months. It grows back. Products like minoxidil and biotin will not prevent telogen effluvium, but they may help with regrowth.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    I haven't been as lucky as Kindle, this last month has been particularly stressful due to a moving and some unexpected house repairs, and new job.

I'm doing between 100-120g of protein and I have a pretty good balanced diet. I stay hydrated. I take my vitamins everyday and my hair is still thinning out, it's manageable and I'm also seeing lots of new growth. My stylist suggested I only wash my hair once a week, I have to wash every three days because I use essential oils from Just Natural http://m.justnaturalskincare.com/#!/...9&sort=nameAsc on my scalp every night. I really don't know if that is what is working, but it makes me feel better about it.

If there comes a time I must do something drastic I found this other product online I may give a try http://www.philipkingsley.com/reward...efer/id/46984/
    C
    I am also ready to shave off my head if it gets too bad.
    SHAVE OFF YOUR HEAD?!?!?! Lololol!

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
    SHAVE OFF YOUR HEAD?!?!?! Lololol!
    whatever... english is my second language! lol!

Post-Op Weight:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    Here's a better explaination of why hair loss happens.....

The hair loss associated with bariatric surgery is called telogen effluvium and has to do with the normal hair growth cycle. It usually starts abruptly and very seldom lasts longer than 6 months. Human hair has a two stage growth cycle. The growth phase is called anagen and 90% of our hair follicles are in this phase at any given time. The resting phase is called telogen, which lasts about 1 to 6 months, with an average of 3 months. About 5-15% of our hair is in the resting phase at any given time. It is also known that telogen effluvium has to do with stress to the body and hormonal changes that can occur. Due to the stress more hair follicles can enter into the resting phase. This is important because the hair in the resting phase at the time of surgery is most likely the hair you will shed. This is why your hair sheds between 1 to 6 months after surgery (usually about3 to 4 months). When the hair starts to grow again the old hair follicle is released and you lose hair. Sometimes the hair comes out before new hair grows, yikes!

So in summary, this type of hair loss is a diffuse shedding of hair as it relates to the normal hair growth cycle. It is common in men and women and all races. It occurs a little more frequently in women typically after child birth and can also happen to infants after the first month or so of life.

Why does this happen in people who have bariatric surgery? The most common reasons are:

Surgery, acute illness, trauma
    Chronic disease such as liver disease or any chronic debilitating disease
    Hormonal imbalance such as hypothyroidism
    Crash dieting, low protein intake, anorexia, chronic iron deficiency
    Heavy metal toxicity
    Medications such as beta-blockers, excess vitamin A and anticoagulants

So, what we have here are a few things that may be affecting people with hair loss. It starts with surgery, a very low calorie intake and possibly low protein intake. Then you add any illness along the way, an underactive thyroid, iron deficiency, or genetics and you get hair loss of about 5-15% of your hair follicles. Other nutrients implicated in hair loss include zinc, biotin, folate, vitamin B-6 and essential fatty acids. (2) If no deficiency of these nutrients exists, then they will likely be of little use.

Relax and don’t worry. It is natural hair loss of 5-15% of your hair due to the stress of surgery and weight loss. It rarely lasts more than 6 months. It grows back. Products like minoxidil and biotin will not prevent telogen effluvium, but they may help with regrowth.
    Kindle, I was just reading up on that here: http://www.philipkingsley.com/hair-g...gen-effluvium/

As I misspoke before, I am ready to shave my HAIR if it gets too thin, but I think the essential oil hair products I am using from Just Natural may be working for me, and it is def good to know it is just temporary.

Post-Op Weight:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Blog Entries

Additionally, even though I know hair is not essential for my human survival, below are a few articles stating that, personally I am starting to realize the psychological effects of not branding the lustrous and bouncy locks I used to have. I can get really fixated on how I can wear my hair so my scalp is not noticeable. I actually was not aware I was that vain. As Kindle said in her earlier post, and there are no promises on when hair will start or stop falling, I hope you don't let that keep you from pursuing Gastric Sleeve Surgery.

http://www.betternutrition.com/hair-nutrition/
    http://www.thefitindian.com/essentia...or-human-body/

Post-Op Weight: