Name
    Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-09-2017 08:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Question Support and/or Counseling/Therapy after Surgery

Hi All! I'm in the process of considering the Gastric Sleeve surgery and am wondering what kind of support you receive after surgery (especially a few years out), and how many of you see a therapist/counselor to help you work through any of the food issues that you had before surgery. My main concern about having the surgery is that in a couple of years I'll end up where I am now. I know that I will most likely seek the help of a counselor/therapist if I go this route (and probably even if I don't), but I'm wondering what the support looks like for those who have had the surgery afterwards and for those of you who have reached your goal, how you are doing maintaining?

Thanks for your input! I just started considering this route after years of telling my doctor that I would never have surgery, but I have finally hit a wall and am ready to make a real change.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Support and/or Counseling/Therapy after Surgery

This is from your "Welcome" post...

IMHO, It doesn't hurt to repeat it:

You've come to by far the best site for support, no-nonsense suggestions, knowledge, wisdom and experience. That being said...

They operated on my stomach, not my head...

When I made my decision for VSG, I made a TOTAL commitment to myself-Mind, Body and Spirit.

I'm grateful to have the best therapist in the world! She's helped me get down to "Causes and Conditions". I've learned to cope with life's ups and downs WITHOUT turning to something or someone outside myself to make me feel better! Happiness is an INSIDE job! We don't talk about food or bingeing or anything of that sort.

Like Ann2, I committed to 3 years of therapy. Honeymoon Year 1, Post Honeymoon Year 2, Maintenance Year 3.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

WANAGL gave excellent advice. Like her, I made a 110% commitment to everything it took to succeed with my surgery. I did not, however seek any professional counseling (I thought I was much too strong to need help from anyone). I lost all my excess weight and was happily and easily keeping it off. Then, 16 months postop, my best friend committed suicide. The devastation was immeasurable. But still, I figured "I got this". I still kept on plan and did not regain anything. This was, however at the expense of my mental well being. I was sinking deeper and deeper into depression because my old coping mechanisms (alcohol and food) were no longer an option and I didn't have a plan B. I spent most days immersed in thoughts of my friend and regrets and guilt and it was all I could do to not join him.

Finally, 2 years postop I admitted I needed help. I started seeing a therapist and it has made all the difference in the world. She started me on Wellbutrin and taught me valuable techniques to help live with my grief (because it never goes away) and learn new ways to deal with everyday stress, frustrations, anger and even joy. This has made everything easier...not only maintening my loss, but with my job and relationships. I HIGHLY recommend counseling/therapy, because the long term mental aspects of succeeding with WLS are far more relevant than surgery itself. And unless you have a severe eating disorder, you don't necessarily have to stick with a bariatric specific therapist. Mine doesn't even know what VSG is.

Good luck!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a huge advocate of cognitive therapy.

I have had on and off therapy for depression since teens.

I had never really connected my emotional eating, weight problems with depression until some years back. Actually, I had lost weight through working out with a trainer and I had regained and I reached out to him to restart. He told me he'd be happy to take me back as a client, he said I was compliant and worked hard, but that I was not going to be able keep off the weight until I gave myself permission to do so. He said that he could tell I had some deep scares I needed to heal. I hated him for telling me that, but today we are good friends and stay in touch once in a great while, not so much since I quit fb and other social media over a year ago.

I continued on my own search for weight control solutions, and found a food coach I worked with about six months to help me with my weight and emotional eating issues. She was not a licensed therapist, actually she was a retired history professor who was reinventing herself and had a calling for holistic medicine. Knowing all that I still worked with her because I'm crazy, and wanted to support her in her journey. Actually, she did help me make some improvements in getting in touch with my emotional eating, but she couldn't really help me beyond that. That's when I came across "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson we actually started reading together, and we were supposed to work the book together in our sessions, but I just couldn't get through the first two chapters, that was around 2012/2013. Believe it or not, I have not gone through the whole book still.

I just connected with a new Bariatric surgery post op support surgeon and his office connected with a licensed therapist, I'm meeting with her next week for our first consult.

To tell you the truth, I was sleeved on May 17, 2016, and I have not been perfect, but I sure try to follow all the rules. I eat nutrient dense foods, I stay hydrated, I don't over eat. I am pretty in tune with my body, I have had zero complications, and I do exercise regularly. I am not drinking alcohol, I have never really smoked, and I definitely never done drugs except a few hits of pot when I was a teenager. And I haven't used food to appease my emotions post op. But, I feel so strongly about starting therapy because I know the day will come that I may hit a wall or an obstacle and I may not have the strength to overcome on my own. Like others have mentioned, I am also fully committed to making my Gastric Sleeve Surgery succeed for my physical wellbeing and longevity, but also for my emotional and spiritual healing and contentment.

As long as you know that weight loss surgery is NOT a ✨Magic Wand✨ that is going to make all your food issues disappear you are on the right track for taking back control of your health and your life.

Best of wishes!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

8. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-09-2017 08:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    I'm a huge advocate of cognitive therapy.
    And I haven't used food to appease my emotions post op. But, I feel so strongly about starting therapy because I know the day will come that I may hit a wall or an obstacle and I may not have the strength to overcome on my own. Like others have mentioned, I am also fully committed to making my Gastric Sleeve Surgery succeed for my physical wellbeing and longevity, but also for my emotional and spiritual healing and contentment.

As long as you know that weight loss surgery is NOT a ✨Magic Wand✨ that is going to make all your food issues disappear you are on the right track for taking back control of your health and your life.
    Yes! This is my thoughts too! I know it's not a magic wand, and I SO know that I have food issues. If I go through with this, I want it to stick, and I know enough to know that I'll need help overcoming some of my major issues with food.

Thank you so much for your reply!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    08-08-2023 04:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Do you know a good therapist who can help me with my emotional eating disorder?