Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default hypothyroidism

soooo.... a while back, my tsh was low and my dr put me on levothyroxine..... my thyroid seemed to have regulated, but I was stilll gaining weight.... then I looked into this surgery... and decided to have it... I felt like the thyroid meds contributed to my weight gain, as I was working out and eating well...and nothing was working... and I stopped taking the meds....now, at my heaviest, I am scheduled for surgery on monday.... My dr wanted me to have my bloodwork done here before my surgery and now my thyroid is again, very very very low... ( her words).... and she wants me to go back on the thyroid meds... I guess I'm just confused and questioning if I'm doing the right thing... I still feel that this will be a great tool to assist me, but now, for the first time since I made this decision, my confidence is a little shaken....UGH!!!! any advice???

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: hypothyroidism

I've been hypothyroid for 11 years...

If you do not take the Levothyroxine, you will never lose the weight. It is a synthetic bioidentical thyroid hormone that controls all aspects of your metabolism, including your metabolic rate and your body's utilization of fatty acid as a substrate (fuel).

No Levothyroxine = Slow metabolism + no weight loss

You can certainly choose to not take the Levothyroxine, but you will be placing yourself at risk of developing insulin resistance, diabetes, elevated cholesterol, coronary artery disease, muscle weakness, chronic kidney disease, and a slew of other issues. Once you are hypothyroid, you will need the medication for life.

If you dislike Levothyroxine for some reason, ask your doctor about other alternatives such as Naturethroid, Armour Thyroid, or Cytomel. However, you will need to be on some type of thyroid hormone replacement to keep other serious health problems from developing.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Blove2012's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-11-2017 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for a number of years as well. RehabNurse is correct. If you do not treat that disease, you will never be able to lose weight. The surgery helps to control my appetite, but my thyroid meds are still incredibly important in weight loss and overall health. Please take your meds as advised. It will greatly increase your chances of success in this journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I am going to start taking them again....today.. I will c her today to discuss specifics about dosage and if she wants me to try a different one... I read some stuff last night about ppl who have hypothyroidism and I know u r right... I guess i shouldn't have stopped taking them.. but whatever I thought, or had in my mind , at least now I know I HAVE to take them to b successful .... and I am eager to begin, and b successful in my efforts again... very excited!!!!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

This is very interesting. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few years ago. I had the antibodies, but I wasn't hypothyroid enough to be put on medication. I have been unable to lose weight for quite a while. People don't believe me when I say that I can walk daily and eat under 1500 calories and still not lose weight. When I went to the endocrinologist, he told me that he could sell me the Medifast plan to help control my weight, Of course I declined, because I am sick of fad diets that don't work long term. I'm now scheduled for the sleeve because I'm at my wits end.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents