Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An interesting double standard

Unfortunately, our society blames us "fatties" for the how we look just but anarexics have a ligitimate disease. To be honest, without taking this drastic, so called easy-way out, I don't think I would've been able to gain control of my health and weight. People in general do not understand that the sleeve is only a tool, and a tool is only as effective as the user. There are ways to abuse it and there are other health issues that may prevent weight loss. They never think of the self control or how much a person has to learn after living how many years living a certain lifestyle and having to start all over again as though we're practically babies. An anorexic is cheered, but the overweight/formerly overweight... kinda seems like they're waiting for you to revert. I'm happy your co-worker is getting help. If only your colleagues could be as supportive of such a "controversial" issue as weight loss surgery. It's also your business, and like you, only 3 people was informed directly of my surgery - none of whom were co-workers for a good reason. No one was in my corner for this surgery. 2.5 years later, it's the best thing I could've done for myself. Wish you luck on your surgery.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An interesting double standard

I completely get it. For this exact reason I chose to only tell my family and a few close friends. I don't want to be judged or hear anyone's crap. And yes, people see anorexia as a disease but obesity is just because we can't control ourselves. No one wants to be obese. I can't tell you how many times I've lost weight but once I can't devote hours a day to the gym I just gain it back and then some. This was not an easy decision. I struggled with it. And due to this double standard I continue to choose to keep my journey private other than the people I've told and my support group here.

4. Said thanks: