Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Altamirano
    Last Activity
    02-11-2017 12:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 71 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Dominican Republic or Cuba anyone?

Dra Tania Medina is who I chose for Round 1. She is located in the Dominican Republic. Her husband is a bariatric surgeon there. She is a cosmetic surgeon with a lot of experience with WLS patients. Anyone else going to use her?

I got my quote for Round 1: Lower body $5300.00 (includes everything except airfare)
    Tummy tuck with muscle repair
    Thigh lift
    BBL with fat transfer
    Liposcuplture to torso (abdomen and entire back), flanks and legs

I am going to Cuba for Round 2: Upper body $4200.00
    Breast lift/reduction/argumentation/implants if needed
    Arm lift
    Lipsculpture as needed
    Chin/neck lift/tuck
    Under eye lift
    Eyelid lift
    Fat transfer to lips and other facial areas as needed

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dominican Republic or Cuba anyone?

You are so brave! that's a lot of surgeries! when are you planning to do it? my bariatric surgeon asked to wait at least one year, I'm meeting a plastic surgeon in a few weeks so he can give me his opinion about tummy tuck and arm lift. I'm not sure to do it yet, I want to wait to reach my goal and see how bad the skin looks by then.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuri
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 644 Times
    Blog Entries

Personally, if I was going to have anything done would wait until I reached my goal

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

id wait until i have reached my goal also

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Diana
    Surgery date
    09/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Lawrence Drahota
    Last Activity
    12-02-2016 05:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

I think I would also wait until goal is reached.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member MrsDeLaCruz2020's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren D.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Jaime Rivera
    Last Activity
    07-15-2017 11:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Journey, are you stats up to date?? My surgeon wont let me even think of plastics until i am a year maintaining at goal. And truthfully... I have fallen off the wagon. I salute you for looking ahead. Do a lot of research... (I can tell you are) but i did a college report on plastic over seas. It gets dangerous. Stay positive and shoot for the stars. Be blessed!!

MY JOURNEY
    STARTED: 4/24/13- 268lbs.
    LOWEST WEIGHT: 6/25/14- 168lbs.
    GAINED 50 from 2014-2016
    STARTED AGAIN: 214- 9/27/16.
    GOAL: 175- TBA

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW! That's an awful lot of work your getting done and i"m freaked out just thinking about it. I would definitely wait at least one year or at the very least wait until you hit goal. Not trying to discourage you but you must do as much research as possible about these types of surgeries being done in another country. Believe me I totally understand the financial end of it, I just went for a breast implant consult and it was $6,500. With that said when you really look at things they don't just give you a quote over the phone and there are a few appointments before they even touch you and then several post op appointments to follow. I personally wouldn't go anywhere out of the country for any plastics and I'll tell you why. The more research you do you will start to see more and more horror stories and mainly due to severe infections that can and have been life threatening if not fatal. I recently just saw something on the news about women going to other countries for plastics and the statistics were not good. I know you probably hate me right now for being such a Debbie downer but I would feel so bad if something happened to you and I didn't voice my opinion which is exactly what it is an opinion. I would put in a search for dangers of plastic surgery in other countries and see what comes up. There is a credit card you can get for plastics I think it's called a "Care" credit card, it doesn't cover everything but it can help. Also you can always look into other types of loans maybe even a line of credit from the equity in your home if you own one. I know and understand you want everything done and want it cheap but I honestly could never do what your thinking about doing especially with my face. I truly do wish you the very best of luck with this and again I'm not trying to mean or anything I just care deeply about the people that are on here and don't want anything bad to happen to anyone ever.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

At still 85 pounds from goal how can you even know what exactly you'll need done? I know people like to plan in advance, but this seems to be majorly jumping the gun. While I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and say the whole thing sounds like a child in a toy store - as in I want everything and I want it now. Bluntly, it is too much and it is way too soon. But, hey, it's your body, your money, and your decision. Good luck to you.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    04/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    01-26-2017 05:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times
    Blog Entries

Let me add my 2 cents... I went to MX for the removal of Lapband & replacing with the gastric sleeve. I did tons of research & never had any doubts with my choice. That was April 2015. One week ago today I had a TT & breast lift here in my hometown in FL. There is just too much that can go wrong with multiple procedures to be so far from home. There are several credit cards available that are 0 interest to 20 months, which may be an option. Good luck to you.

217.....Surgical consult
    202.....Day of surgery..April 3, 2015

Gastric Sleeve Member Journey Tobeme's Avatar
    Name
    Journey
    Surgery date
    02/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Altamirano
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi all thank you for the responses. I am going to answer some things. I am going to use numbers because it helps me order my thoughts better.

1. Consultations: I have had 3 in the US, 2 in DR, 1 in Cuba, 2 in Mexico and 1 in Colombia.
    2. Money: It isn't a consideration for plastics. I pay out of pocket for all medical care now and I have a healthy savings just for plastics (over 30k).
    3. Surgeons: I had lots of consultations in many places. I chose the surgeons I did for a variety of reasons none of which was money. I chose the 2 I did for their work, experience, education, their vision, their facilities, their accreditation/certifications and the fact that I meshed with them.
    4. Waiting: Waiting for goal~One surgeon said I should wait to get below 150 but he wasn't doing a BBL. Every other surgeon suggested a surgery weight of no more than 185 pounds and no less than 165. Goal is 120-130. I want a gifted BBL and for that you need fat. Fat is limited in patients at goal weight and not all fat is optimal for BBL. That is why BBLs are more effective if you still have at least 30 pounds. By the time the fat is processed and separated it is reduced by at least half that can be used in a BBL.
    Waiting for maintenance/1 year: Either way wouldn't work for the results I want once again. For breast work you need to be within 20 pounds of goal which is why it is round 2 for me. I planned Round 1 and Round 2 with the help of all the information I received at my many consults for optimal results that I want.
    5. My apron/skin: I have a huge hanging apron. I have had 3 Csections with major incisions. I have internal adhesions that are attached to the apron. Estimations range from 25-35 pounds of skin to be removed conservatively. And that is from my current weight not after I lose the next 20 pounds. It is going to get worse not better. So again waiting for goal isn't the best option for me. If I get to 170 for round 1 and if they remove 25 pounds of skin I am already at 145. That isn't even including the fat they remove, separate and don't reuse. I will be very close to goal at that point.
    6. Knowing what I need:I know the results I am hoping for and I know my body now. 9 in person consults helped refine the list and expectations. I don't need to lose all my weight to know I need an lower eye lift and upper eye lid lift. I don't need to lose more weight to see the major sagging skin on my thighs. My massive apron (3 c sections with major incisions) isn't going to get any smaller. My adhesions however hurt more and more with every pound I lose. They were wrapped in fat and now that fat is melting away and they are pulling on muscles and possibly organs. My face is very slim now. I know the work it needs but that will come in Round 2.
    7. Lots of procedures: Round 1 and Round 2 are separate surgeries that will be at least 3-4 months apart. Those 4 procedures combined isn't excessive. It is basically a mommy makeover which is routine even in the US. Difference is I am getting lower body instead of doing breasts. Round 2 has a lot of small parts but mostly face work and it is considered one. I have even considered going and having it done now and then heading for round 2 in November/Dec. There only has to be 6 weeks between face work and body work according to the surgeons I have spoken with if you chose to do face work first. But if you do body work first you must wait the entire 3-4 months.
    8. Location: I live part time in Mexico. I have most of my medical handled in Mexico and Cuba now. I only use the US health system if I am in need of emergency care while in the US. I had my sleeve in Mexico. I have traveled to each consult. In the DR, I will be there a month after surgery. I won't be in a rush to get back. Cuba we will be there 2 months when I go there. So in a sense I will get longer care in both places. I will have a private nurses even after my recovery ends after 14 days. It will be an additional expense for me but it is important to me. Bottom line I am not scared to travel outside the US for medical care and surgery. I actually prefer it. I research doctors and clinics heavily. I visit them. I talk to patients. I arrange care and any follow up I am going to need with my Dr. in Mexico and my Endo in the US who coordinates with my Dr in Mexico. I am very proactive with my health and the partners I select to be a part of it.

And again lastly, I am not sure where anyone got that I want anything cheap. I listed the quotes in case anyone else was interested since cost seems to be a major aspect on the board. I could pay triple the cost for less quality work in the US but why when I found surgeons that I love their work and skills. And no my stats aren't up to date. I am actually at 190. I plan to be around 165-170 for Round 1 and 130-140 for Round 2. I think I addressed everything. Forgive me if I didn't. Please feel free to let me know if I missed something.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Journey Tobeme's Avatar
    Name
    Journey
    Surgery date
    02/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Altamirano
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

This is someone who had the same procedures I am having for Round 1 with the same surgeon. She is the same height. Weighed 185 at the time of surgery. I have seen pics of her without clothes. She is open about her procedure and experience.

maryamapost1 (2).pngMARYAMA2 (2).png

Here is another lady just 1 month post op. The lines are from her faja. The photo is a still taken from a video.

2016-09-06.png

These results might not be what you are looking for but they are what I am looking for. I found the surgeon who is gifted and skilled enough to deliver.

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Journey Tobeme View Post
    Hi all thank you for the responses. I am going to answer some things. I am going to use numbers because it helps me order my thoughts better.

1. Consultations: I have had 3 in the US, 2 in DR, 1 in Cuba, 2 in Mexico and 1 in Colombia.
    2. Money: It isn't a consideration for plastics. I pay out of pocket for all medical care now and I have a healthy savings just for plastics (over 30k).
    3. Surgeons: I had lots of consultations in many places. I chose the surgeons I did for a variety of reasons none of which was money. I chose the 2 I did for their work, experience, education, their vision, their facilities, their accreditation/certifications and the fact that I meshed with them.
    4. Waiting: Waiting for goal~One surgeon said I should wait to get below 150 but he wasn't doing a BBL. Every other surgeon suggested a surgery weight of no more than 185 pounds and no less than 165. Goal is 120-130. I want a gifted BBL and for that you need fat. Fat is limited in patients at goal weight and not all fat is optimal for BBL. That is why BBLs are more effective if you still have at least 30 pounds. By the time the fat is processed and separated it is reduced by at least half that can be used in a BBL.
    Waiting for maintenance/1 year: Either way wouldn't work for the results I want once again. For breast work you need to be within 20 pounds of goal which is why it is round 2 for me. I planned Round 1 and Round 2 with the help of all the information I received at my many consults for optimal results that I want.
    5. My apron/skin: I have a huge hanging apron. I have had 3 Csections with major incisions. I have internal adhesions that are attached to the apron. Estimations range from 25-35 pounds of skin to be removed conservatively. And that is from my current weight not after I lose the next 20 pounds. It is going to get worse not better. So again waiting for goal isn't the best option for me. If I get to 170 for round 1 and if they remove 25 pounds of skin I am already at 145. That isn't even including the fat they remove, separate and don't reuse. I will be very close to goal at that point.
    6. Knowing what I need:I know the results I am hoping for and I know my body now. 9 in person consults helped refine the list and expectations. I don't need to lose all my weight to know I need an lower eye lift and upper eye lid lift. I don't need to lose more weight to see the major sagging skin on my thighs. My massive apron (3 c sections with major incisions) isn't going to get any smaller. My adhesions however hurt more and more with every pound I lose. They were wrapped in fat and now that fat is melting away and they are pulling on muscles and possibly organs. My face is very slim now. I know the work it needs but that will come in Round 2.
    7. Lots of procedures: Round 1 and Round 2 are separate surgeries that will be at least 3-4 months apart. Those 4 procedures combined isn't excessive. It is basically a mommy makeover which is routine even in the US. Difference is I am getting lower body instead of doing breasts. Round 2 has a lot of small parts but mostly face work and it is considered one. I have even considered going and having it done now and then heading for round 2 in November/Dec. There only has to be 6 weeks between face work and body work according to the surgeons I have spoken with if you chose to do face work first. But if you do body work first you must wait the entire 3-4 months.
    8. Location: I live part time in Mexico. I have most of my medical handled in Mexico and Cuba now. I only use the US health system if I am in need of emergency care while in the US. I had my sleeve in Mexico. I have traveled to each consult. In the DR, I will be there a month after surgery. I won't be in a rush to get back. Cuba we will be there 2 months when I go there. So in a sense I will get longer care in both places. I will have a private nurses even after my recovery ends after 14 days. It will be an additional expense for me but it is important to me. Bottom line I am not scared to travel outside the US for medical care and surgery. I actually prefer it. I research doctors and clinics heavily. I visit them. I talk to patients. I arrange care and any follow up I am going to need with my Dr. in Mexico and my Endo in the US who coordinates with my Dr in Mexico. I am very proactive with my health and the partners I select to be a part of it.

And again lastly, I am not sure where anyone got that I want anything cheap. I listed the quotes in case anyone else was interested since cost seems to be a major aspect on the board. I could pay triple the cost for less quality work in the US but why when I found surgeons that I love their work and skills. And no my stats aren't up to date. I am actually at 190. I plan to be around 165-170 for Round 1 and 130-140 for Round 2. I think I addressed everything. Forgive me if I didn't. Please feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Well why didn't you just say all that in the first place LMAO.......Sounds like you've got it covered and have done some serious research. I am on pins and needles now because I can't wait to see you after it's all done. Can't say I'm not jealous, I'm still trying to come up with the money for my boob job. Wishing all the luck in the world with all of this and please don't drop off the face of the earth, you must keep us updated. God Bless!

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

I will take my foot out of my mouth long enough to apologize, and to say get it! You've got your shit together! I hope you get all you hope for because you've sure done your research. And damn, I'm jealous of that BBL in the picture you shared! I want a butt!! Makes complete sense what you say about needing to do surgery before goal... I don't have a drop of fat anywhere that could be transferred to my butt. Once again, I apologize for being an ass. Please come back and show off all your gorgeous plastics when you can.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-20-2022 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Can you recommend the PS that you are having round 2 with in Cuba. I am researching the upper body plastics that I may have done in 2017. Thank you for as much info on the Cuban PS and facilities as possible.

Mary

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-22-2017 04:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Journey Tobeme View Post
    Dra Tania Medina is who I chose for Round 1. She is located in the Dominican Republic. Her husband is a bariatric surgeon there. She is a cosmetic surgeon with a lot of experience with WLS patients. Anyone else going to use her?

I got my quote for Round 1: Lower body $5300.00 (includes everything except airfare)
    Tummy tuck with muscle repair
    Thigh lift
    BBL with fat transfer
    Liposcuplture to torso (abdomen and entire back), flanks and legs

I am going to Cuba for Round 2: Upper body $4200.00
    Breast lift/reduction/argumentation/implants if needed
    Arm lift
    Lipsculpture as needed
    Chin/neck lift/tuck
    Under eye lift
    Eyelid lift
    Fat transfer to lips and other facial areas as needed

Good luck with your surgeries.
    Which doctor did you choose in Cuba for round 2, I desperately need chin lift!!
    Thank you.