08/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frenzel
    Last Activity
    11-24-2016 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 120 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thumbs up My journey to the sleeved side!

I started the whole process on the 14th of July with my first appointment. I was sleeved on 8/15 - 3 days ago.

Pre-op diet was 3 premier protein shakes and 1 mean under 450 calories for 2 weeks. I was 321 before the pre-op diet and 310 on surgery day, so 11 pounds down and doc said that was perfect for the liver shrinkage needed.

Surgery went well, I also had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time. Waking up from anesthesia was not fun, so disorienting and just weird.

My surgery was at Plano Surgical Hospital in Plano, TX and the facility was beautiful. Private rooms and bathrooms with couches which my mom slept on during my stay and tv's with cable. It was like a nice hotel room. The nurses and staff were AMAZING! I had some hiccups along the way but they really cared about making sure everything was OK.

My first hiccup was pre-surgery when (as usual) they couldn't find a vein to put my IV in. After 3 nurses and the anesthesiologist made a total of 7 tries, I ended up with the IV in my foot, which was honestly more comfortable than the hand IV in my opinion. The anesthesiologist said that IV would be good enough to get me to sleep and then once I was out he would "dig around" for a stronger vein.
    I looked like a junky when I woke up haha

Next I had some issues with the pain meds they gave me. I couldn't drink anything including the pain med and even water I couldn't get down so they had to give me all my meds through my IV. Then the meds they gave me through the IV they determined were too strong because despite the nausea meds I was throwing up and dry heaving. So after a change of pain meds the puking died down but they were still worried about a leak since I couldn't get even water down.

So they sent me for an upper GI and thankfully there was no leak but there was a large pocket of air/gas at the very top of my stomach which was making it really difficult to get anything down. Not the best news but much better outcome than a leak!

So I ended up staying about 8 hours longer than what is usual with my Doc's patients but I went home on day 2. Day 2 was brutual, that gas bubble still wouldn't move despite the walking, gas-x and everything else. I was definitely getting close to the dangerous dehydration levels and we had decided if it wasn't any better on day 3 then I would need to go in and get hooked up to IV fluids again.

Thankfully I woke up this morning and was much better, air/gas is moving, stomach is gurgling, pain is present but manageable and I am able to get in the protein/fluids in much easier. Not at the amount I need to be, still struggling to get to the minimum they want but by the end of the week I should be there if I continue to heal at this rate.

Well that's my (long) story of my surgery. I want to thank you all so much for putting up with my questions and being such an amazing support system through all of this. I can't wait to continue reading about all of your journeys and sharing mine as well!

xoxo Shelby

HW: 321
    SW: 310
    W1: 306
    W2: 301
    W3: 298
    W4: 295
    W5: 291
    W6:291
    W7:290
    W8:289
    W9:286
    W10:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My journey to the sleeved side!

Congratulations to you!!! Walk and sip as much as you can. So happy for you! Keep us posted!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member girlwitharosetattoo's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    09-14-2016 03:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Default Re: My journey to the sleeved side!

Shelby, that sounds a little rough, but I'm so glad the accommodations in Plano were so nice. If I ever move to Dallas, that is one of the places I would definitely look at- beautiful homes, great schools, etc. I'm in AZ now.

YOU DID IT!!!!!

It's great they were able to figure out what was going wrong with the air bubble and that you had such great care at your hospital. Oh, and they always have a hard time finding veins from me for IVs and to take blood so I already now I will be poked and prodded and I hate it but it is what it is.

I wish you a speedy recovery and please update us as you begin to feel better.

xoxo

6. Said thanks: