Gastric Sleeve Member SoCalGal77's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/01/2012
    Last Activity
    08-10-2016 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Where can I get a revision with Kaiser initial surgery was in Mexico

I am new to this site and im not sure where to post this so please excuse any double postings. First I must say I wish I was on this site a long time ago there is a lot of good info and nice people on here. I had my sleeve done in Mexico in Nov 2012. I had a BMI of 40 and weighed 215 pounds. The surgery went good I think. I had nothing eventful that happened. The surgeon was ok, but nothing to brag about. The process was strange but I suppose the norm for mexico. I did not have any complications like others I have read about. In fact I was able to eat fairly fast after surgery and I only did a week of liquids and soft foods. I never felt very restricted from the very beginning. I think I could have done much better had I researched what steps to take after the surgery. But my reality is I never felt like it was a success because I could eat quite a bit from the beginning. When I first started eating soft foods I was able to eat 2-3 measuring cups before getting full, and a couple months out from surgery and I was eating a whole steak like 10 ounces. I did lose some weight but I think thats because I only ate protein and took vitamins and drank water. I was always able to lose weight on all protein diets before but they are hard to maintain. I only lost 35 pounds total after the surgery. Fast Forward 4 years later and Im right back at the exact weight I was on surgery day 215. So it took 4 years to gain back 35 pounds but I exercise a lot and I am a major water drinker. I have also done this Pouch Reset thing several times and I used HCG and Atkins and B12 shots and other methods to try to get back some control and lose weight. I never lost anymore but all that effort slowed down the gaining. In the beginning I tried hard to stick with what I learned on my own like protein first and not drinking while eating. Thats a hard one because I had no restriction. I now drink sodas and beers and anything I want while eating. I graze all day and I have major major hunger pains. Not acid but hunger pains just like before especially after eating empty carbs. I wake up starving and I feel like I could eat all day long. I have pretty much given up and back to my old habits. I can eat a whole Big Mac Meal if I want to. I may not be able to eat 100% as much as I used to but damn near 85%. Like I said from day one when I didn't feel the restriction or anything that I read about and researched, I already considered my sleeve a failure from the get go. Once I stopped losing weight after the 3 months it really started to sink in maybe I didn't get a small enough pouch, maybe the Dr messed up, maybe I messed up.. either way I lost all motivation. anyway..

I now have a new job starting next month and they offer some pretty good insurance plans. I want to try this thing again the right way, with doctors to help me, and I want to do it in the U.S. According to the Kaiser info I meet the BMI and comorbidity requirements. I have not chosen my insurance plan yet but when I do I will make sure that Bariatric Surgery is on the list. I guess my concern is getting someone to do a revision if the original surgery was in Mexico. My other issue is I now have some left side pain that comes and goes and it hurts right over the main incision scar. It definitely feels like its my stomach area. I need a doctor to check me out and see if something is wrong. I have not once been seen by a Dr. or had any follow up care what so ever. Does anyone have advice or experience in getting a check up at a bariatric center and a revision to a smaller pouch if the original surgery was in Mexico. I live in southern California and I would like a place near by in the OC or LA area. Is my first step going to a general doctor and having a referral to a bariatric place? Does anyone have any advice on a specific Dr that I should try to see? Will I get turned down since I had a previous surgery in Mexico? I have zero documents or paperwork provided to me by the Mexico Dr. No matter how many times I emailed and called I got no where on that subject. I even sent money for a so called video of my surgery and never received anything. The only proof is my surgery scars. What are the steps should take to work towards a revision in the U.S. I would even take advice on which plan to choose. Any help at all.. Thanks in advance.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Michael Baptista
    Last Activity
    07-05-2017 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 194 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where can I get a revision with Kaiser initial surgery was in Mexico

Try dr Baptista in Jacksonville Florida

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where can I get a revision with Kaiser initial surgery was in Mexico

If I had to do it over again I would research and seriously consider the Mini Bypass vs the Sleeve. The sleeve has been good for me and I have kept the weight off other than a few pounds up and down but I think for longer term results and better absorption of nutrients and vitamins the mini bypass has become more popular.