Surgeon
    Dr stoweres
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 08:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Post Need honest opinions on my appeal letter. Please

I am on my final appeal. This will be my external review. I have been trying to write a personal letter with added documentation. Do I need to try to shorten it to one page? If so what do I take out? Any English teacher here that can help with grammar issues? Lol

Blue Cross/Blue Shield
    Of Texas
    Appeal Id No 529532425

To Whom It May Concern:
    I am writing to you to respectfully request an IER (Individual Eligibility Review) and for my case to be reconsidered.
    This surgery I am requesting is not cosmetic. It is reconstructive following a massive weight loss per American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Medical Association. Like breast cancer is a disease and reconstructive surgery is covered in the state of Oklahoma where I reside. I had the disease of obesity. Which has left my skin very abnormal. I do not have a normal life or appearance due to the massive amount of skin. It is unhealthy, unsanitary, and is a hindrance to my health and well-being.
    After several years of trying to get approved with your insurance company for Gastric Surgery I was finally approved in 2014.
    I am 5’7 and weighed over 300lbs. I had a BMI of 52 which put me in the Super Morbidly Obese category. I have enclosed a before picture which you can see that the majority of my fat was in my abdominal and hip level, thus leaving me with a massive amount of extra flesh and skin. Above and below my belly button. I currently weigh 157lbs.
    Due to the excessive amount of skin, I suffer from severe anxiety, poor body image, depression, skin-eruptions, skin breakdowns, itchy rashes, oozing sores, and chronic back pain. I also have problems with daily living activities and ambulation in exercise and sexual activity due to my massive pannus.
    Unfortunately during my rapid weight loss, having destroyed the elasticity of my skin with morbid obesity, I have been left with a mass of skin hanging from hip to hip and below my pubis.
    The reason I am requesting this abdominal or panniculectomy surgery is to be able to move without constant pain from the tugging and pulling on my back and the constant skin irritations and unhygienic conditions caused by the overlapping and chafing skin.
    I now suffer from chronic rashes between the layers of skin at my waist and under my pannus, they are painful and unhygienic. There is nothing normal or hygienic about my skin. I have also included documents from my dermatologist and primary care physician where I have been seen for my skin problems.
    One of the Medical requirements is that my skin hang below my pubis which mine does. I have to lift my skin in normal daily activities, like washing. I take 2 showers a day to try and keep my skin clean. I then use a hairdryer on cool air setting to dry my skin before using the Nystatin powder prescribed to me by my PCP to keep infection down. I also self-medicate with triple antibiotic ointment, Aquaphor ointment and powders with cornstarch, to no avail. My PCP Has suggested these products with little to no success. My skin folds rub together and always are several red and irritated. There is always a horrible embarrassing odor that I try to cover up the deodorant and sprays over the top of the skin. None of this is normal hygienic care. These are some of the extreme measure I take every day, just to try and keep the rashes under control. I carry baby powder, wipes, and ointment in my purse. To use on lunch breaks. Normal people do not have to do this. With summer coming the out breaks will increase to oozing crusty sores. Due to the heat and rubbing. There is no way to keep the skin up and dry. I have to pick it up and tuck it inside my underwear. I wear moderate to firm control underwear to try and help alleviate my back pain from it pulling and hanging. It does not work.
    This is humiliating and embarrassing to even talk about this, but it has given me a whole new set of body image issues including anxiety and depression which has intern put a lot of stress on my marriage. The hanging pannus has caused serious ambulation issues in sexual relations area, physical and psychological. I have to hold my pannus up to provide sexual intercourse. It flops over my vagina. It hangs and makes slapping noises. I love my husband dearly but can’t stand the thought of holding up my skin, hearing the noises, or even see the amount of flopping, sagging, infected, smelly, and over all disgusting skin.
    I still wear baggy clothes to hide the extra amounts of skin and are very apprehensive of people seeing me. This does not work well working for the public. I tell myself daily that there is a counter so people will not see the extra amounts of skin around my stomach. After all this hard work I have put in to making myself a normal healthy individual. I still am not. For just one day I long to see what it is like to be normal. To not spend extra time in the shower and bathroom moving, picking up, cleaning, and medicating this mass of skin I am left with.
    The mass of skin has also left me with back and leg strain. I am in now in constant pain in my lower back from the pulling sagging skin. I have to compensate for my skin when I walk and thus puts extra stress on my lower back and legs. I am on my feet all day. So most likely I will have more medical issues with my back due to the extra skin. I also try to exercise but it is uncomfortable and difficult with the skin in the way and pulling and tugging on my back. I cannot jog very long due to the pulling and slapping against my legs. If the skin was removed I could exercise like a normal induvial and not be hurt or bothered by the amount of pannus getting in the way.
    Please look into my case with a new sense of urgency to the health problems I have as a direct result of my massive weight loss and massive amount of pannus skin. I have enclosed extra medical documentation as said for my denial reason. I have PCP records, dermatologist, psychologist records, and more pictures showing before and after pictures, and some legion pictures.

Respectfully,

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

Default Re: Need honest opinions on my appeal letter. Please

Shorten this letter. The insurances appeals review will not want to read something this long. Include any and all medical documents and make your case as straight forward and concise as possible. God luck to you!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with Melissa888 be blunt and to the point....

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I agree, I see something that long and ignore it. Maybe bullet points of your health issues? Or at least paragraphs? Good luck!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr stoweres
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 08:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. It is in paragraphs but for some reason when I copied and pasted it it smoshed everything together lol. It is two pages right now. It is a beating trying to say the right thing. I always hated trying to write a report/professional letter. Now I am writing the most important one of my life at this moment.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuri
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 644 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes agree way too long and emotional

If you can ask someone you can trust to help/write it for you.
    Nurses I feel can be to the point w/facts
    I am also a person who adds too much to any note or email, can relate
    Don't ever give up.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Stacy Devenney
    Surgery date
    04/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tuggle
    Last Activity
    09-04-2020 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 104 Posts

I don't have any words of wisdom for your letter, but it made me cry. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on a daily basis. I hope the insurance company takes this last appeal and really considers how the extra skin has and does impact your daily life. Good luck!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

1. Has your doctor provided medical records documenting the rashes? You need that documentation from your doctor...they won't take your word for it.

2. Request a phone call between BCBS's medical director and your doctor. It's unusual for the med director to say no directly to the doc requesting the procedure.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
    1. Has your doctor provided medical records documenting the rashes? You need that documentation from your doctor...they won't take your word for it.

2. Request a phone call between BCBS's medical director and your doctor. It's unusual for the med director to say no directly to the doc requesting the procedure.
    Ok, I stopped reading right before where you said you're including medical documentation.

I was a preauthorization nurse for UHC and processed several of these types of surgeries. They almost always were denied, but sometimes, they got approved. The main thing is the medical documentation and pictures. And one of the best tactics is having your doctor speak directly to the medical director....your doc has to call and request the call, then the med dir will call your doc back. It's much more difficult to say no to someone directly.

Do not send your letter by itself, send it along with your doctor's written appeal, med documentation and photos.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Gmora
    Last Activity
    01-21-2018 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 569 Times
    Blog Entries

Can't help with the appeal because Ontario is totally different. I wrote to mention that several of your sentences aren't sentences. You have phrases instead. A sentence must have a subject and a verb. Ex "which has left my skin very abnormal" should read "the weight loss from surgery has left me with very abnormal skin." I second the idea of using bulletin points, if you organize them carefully it will make your argument more coherent. Good Luck.

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa2 View Post
    Can't help with the appeal because Ontario is totally different. I wrote to mention that several of your sentences aren't sentences. You have phrases instead. A sentence must have a subject and a verb. Ex "which has left my skin very abnormal" should read "the weight loss from surgery has left me with very abnormal skin." I second the idea of using bulletin points, if you organize them carefully it will make your argument more coherent. Good Luck.
    There are a few misspelled words, too, but the insurance company won't care about grammar. They focus on what the doctor has to offer. Sure, a personal letter might help sway the medical director's decision a bit, but the main thing is: does the case meet the pre established criteria for whatever procedure is being requested?

Every ins company uses a set of pre determined criteria for every procedure or medical device being requested. It's a very cut and dried process: either you meet the criteria (approved), or you don't (denied).

Some things are automatically denied as "cosmetic", such as removal of excess skin post WLS, without anyone even checking to see if the criteria have been met. Most people won't appeal, and the ins co saved themselves a butt ton of money.

You're doing good by appealing, but remember, you've got to get your doctor to talk to the ins company's medical director that is handling your case (there are several med directors, speak to the one that denied your original request).

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Hi Pam, I am glad I read this thread. I have been denied twice and did have lots of documentation from my Surgeon, Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon (sho is accredited) and my primary care physician who did write a personal letter of medical necessity. I had scripts enclosed, pictures and a personal letter. I still got denied. I have my annual check up soon and will speak to her about calling the medical director who denied my claim. Thank you!!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Critical writing means first paragraph carries most intense idea.

Shorten to one page, try removing emotions and bullet medical criterion met for surgery.

That said, I m so sorry you're dealing with all this. It's hard to understand why it's denied. I'll be praying for you to be approved. Best to you.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I think Blue Cross/Blue Shield's policy is to deny no matter what. I fought an ambulance bill of $1,200. I have an HMO for my city, got hurt in my own home, but only an "uncovered" ambulance service serves my neighborhood. I wrote and wrote, and they denied and denied. I finally gave up and paid it.

Hope you have better luck than I did!