Surgeon
    Dr. Frenzel
    Last Activity
    11-24-2016 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 120 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question sleep study/cpap questions

Going for my sleep study tonight, what should I expect? Any advice? Did anyone find out they had sleep apnea and required a cpap? I have a hard time imagining I will actually use one if they tell me i need it, im afraid it will be super uncomfortable and hard to sleep with, especially since I sleep on my stomach! Any info you can give me would be great!

HW: 321
    SW: 310
    W1: 306
    W2: 301
    W3: 298
    W4: 295
    W5: 291
    W6:291
    W7:290
    W8:289
    W9:286
    W10:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Gmora
    Last Activity
    01-21-2018 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 569 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: sleep study/cpap questions

They hook you up to all kinds of leads and you have to sleep on back or side. I am noncompliant with my full face cap but am so claustrophobic near face that I can't wear turtlenecks. My brother has a cap that covers nose and loves it.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I had the sleep study, they found out I woke up 49 times but do not have anything wrong with me other than I just can't sleep. Now that I'm no longer obese but normal sized, I still can't sleep. Sucks.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shelby
    Surgery date
    08/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frenzel
    Last Activity
    11-24-2016 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 120 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm hoping I don't have sleep apnea just because I know i won't wear the mask and I don't want to have another sleep study, it was awful!

HW: 321
    SW: 310
    W1: 306
    W2: 301
    W3: 298
    W4: 295
    W5: 291
    W6:291
    W7:290
    W8:289
    W9:286
    W10:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

If you had sleep apnea they would have put the mask on you during the night of the study. I would say you're fine! (In my non-professional medical opinion.)

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    William (Bill) Jones
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Ryan Tyner
    Last Activity
    06-12-2017 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I've had sleep apnea for over 14 yrs. Started using a CPAP in 2002. Hate the sleep studies, you feel like a guinea pig all wired up like that. My apnea was so bad, I was afraid to go to sleep. Oxy levels would go down into 60's. When I would sleep, my wife would elbow me in the ribs and say "Breathe Dammit". I'm claustrophobic too. The fellow at sleep clinic found I could not wear a mask. He sent me home with loaner CPAP and a Puritan Bennett - Nasal pillow setup. At first I could not even use that until he suggested I use the machine and mask (nasal pillows) while watching tv and before bedtime. Two nights of that and I never had another problem. Medicare required me to do another sleep study to pay for a new CPAP machine. Did not think I would ever get to sleep without my machine but finally slept enough to prove that I needed it. I'm just starting the process for surgery and told the surgeon the other day that even though I may lose enough weight to stop the use, I would probably continue since I've gotten so use to it. Plus there's no snoring with a machine.
    HW - 350 4/1/16
    SW - 303 12/12/16

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    01/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ghiassi
    Last Activity
    02-26-2018 09:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Hi. I just came across this thread. They now do at home sleep studies. It was so easy. Went to the Sleep Center at the hospital where I work. They gave me a small box like device (the size of a pager or garage door opener). You clip it to your night shirt. It has small tubing on each side. The same kind you where for oxygen. It goes behind your ears and then at the tips of your nostrils. I had to wear a pulsox clip on my finger with a short wire attached to a devise that looks like a watch on my wrist. It was automatically set to turn on at 10:00pm. I had no problem sleeping with it at all. The next day I just took it off put it in the bag it came in and returned it to the sleep center. A few days later I had my results. Severe Sleep Apnea. I stopped breathing for more than 10 seconds 64 times in one hour. I was set up with a cpap with a nasal mask. First night I thought it was great until I looked at the readings on the machine and it showed the mask had a bad fit. The next night I got no sleep because I kept adjusting the mask. The third night I threw the damn mask across the room and slept like I always do. I have an appointment next week for a new mask fitting. Wish me luck