Surgeon
    Dr Kent Sasse
    Last Activity
    07-23-2017 08:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Fibromyalgia Pain?

Hello, I really need some advice. I have Fibromyalgia. I have been on NSAIDS pain medication and had to stop during my pre op diet. I am in soooooo much pain. My surgery is MONDAY. Tylenol is not alleviating the pain. Should I cancel? Anyone else with Fibro have a solution?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    01-26-2017 01:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Fibromyalgia Pain?

Don't cancel your surgery! Let the doctors know of this issue. They might be able to give you something for it after your surgery.. Good luck..

Gastric Sleeve Member Healthmyself's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melody
    Surgery date
    05/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-10-2017 01:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

I would not cancel! I found my body pain decreased dramatically after my surgery. So I wonder if certain processed food contributes to my pain? I would do " whatever it takes" to show up for your surgery and follow thru with all the advice and changes you need to make. Even it it means calling out from work / stopping your normal life and doing nothing for a month, starting NOW! Think of the bigger picture. What's more important?....your obligations to others or your health? This can be a life transforming tool. Remember this surgery will increase an obese persons life expectancy by 6.5 YEARS. To say nothing of the QUALITY of life and your self esteem and happiness. An obese person choosing NOT to have the surgery has a 9 times greater risk of dying in 5 years than if they opted FOR it.
    Ps...as a nurse i would suggest asking your doc for something like lorazepam or clonazepam as needed for your peri- operative time. While it's not intended for pain, it WILL alter how you perceive pain and your anxiety around it. When I cared for my husband who had bone cancer, a lorazepam dissolved under his tongue was a golden ticket at times for dealing with pain. It's mild, it will just take the edge off and you will be surprised to realize you are managing/ coping better and there is no " hang over" to it. And very little risk of addiction if you use it short term and prudently. Good luck!

Month 1. -33lbs
    Month 2. -9 lbs
    Month 3. -9 lbs.
    Month 4. -5 lbs
    Month 5. -7 lbs
    Month 6. -2 lbs
    Month 7. -4 lbs

Goal 1- 265( BMI =35). Date reached : 6-4-2016
    Goal 2 242 (BMI =32) date : 8-6-2016
    Goal 3 219 ( BMI=29) date:
    Goal 4. 212 ( BMI 28) date:
    Goal 5 204 ( BMI 27) date:

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Did your surgeon and/or PCP not address Your pain management issues? They should have tried alternatives long before now knowing you can't take NSAIDS long term after bariatric surgery. You need to have a Plan B. Have you tried gabapentin? Lyrica? Tramadol? My mom has fibro and not much works for her. She actually gets the most relief from weekly massage therapy that includes facial release technique.

Good luck and I hope you can find something that works. I know how debilitating chronic fibro pain can be.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/18/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Kent Sasse
    Last Activity
    07-23-2017 08:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you. I'll talk to him today. I only met him once for about 15 minutes. Many of us were going through our pre-ok class and that is when many of its first learned about the NSAIDS. We were all surprised. I'm also going to talk to my primary Dr about it. I won't cancel. I just hope I can deal with this pain.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents