Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4 years Post-Op - and I've GAINED ~~ A LOT! I am mortified and ashamed...

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    But remember, WLS stats are all about what OTHER people did with their postop opportunity. Unlike cancer or other disease stats that we really have no control over, each of us has the option of being 100% successful after WLS. Except in the rare cases of associated metabolic diseases or certain medications, I have never heard of anyone regaining or failing to lose if they ate/drank/excercised properly. I lost 110% of my excess weight have have not had any regain. But if I start backsliding into the eating patterns that made me fat in the first place I certainly would. And that's on me, not my sleeve.
    I really think that the lower success rate for WLS is due to patients going into it without realizing the significance of the psychological and emotional commitment to changing their eating habits. That's more important than the surgery itself and that's why the stats for both are the same.
    Kindle is so right about this. In fact, I think that Dr. Matthew Weiner YouTube videos he talks about those stats exactly! Also, Dr. Voung in his book "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success" talks about how many patients get the surgery without understanding of how it works, much less how to eat and exercise for success. Even if the sleeve alone can help us lose 50% of the excess body weight, but if in our heads we keep eating like the person/weight we were before surgery we will regain it plus more I suppose.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4 years Post-Op - and I've GAINED ~~ A LOT! I am mortified and ashamed...

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You're still 68 pounds down, that's a lot of weight. I think if you just get back to basics you can do it. Follow the rules. Do you exercise? That's what has helped me keep my weight off. Another thing that helps me stay focused is I weigh myself every morning. That way if I'm up a pound or two I get back to the basics right away.

But you're right, I'm hungry a lot! I just try to pick something small and healthy. It would be cool if hunger stayed away like it did in the beginning, but it doesn't.

Good luck, we all know where you're coming from. I agree a counselor would help more than a nutritionist who will tell you what you already know. My nut is about 25 years old and 100 pounds, she has no clue about the emotional factors that cause weight gain other than what she has studied in college. She has no clue how hit feels to be fat. We all have lived it.
    I just connected with a nutritionist that I have been following online for sometime, she has a very holistic (body, mind, soul) approach to her practice in fact we talked a lot about stress management, as Ann mentioned as part of her success strategy, we also talked about depression and food compulsions. Our first official consult is scheduled for next month. So I'm a little excited to try her out.

I'm also joining a 12-week Get Fit course that includes three weekly 30 min. workouts with a personal trainer, a weekly check-in informational seminar on diet/nutrition and exercise, and two DXA Body Composition Analysis scans.

For me these will be helpful to establish a solid foundation, perhaps I will still struggle after, but I love what Ann and others say about this being a life long journey. If I can get that through my hardhead perhaps I will have a chance at success someday too.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up. How long would you be on Wellbutrin before realizing something was wrong? What dose were you taking? What explaination did your doctor give? Were you taking any other meds at the same time?
    The behavior would start within a month. I never told my doctor. I just stopped taking it. She had me taking 150 twice a day. I also lost interest in sex. My husband and I have a very active sex life and suddenly I was lucky if I wanted it once a week. We were intimate daily! Sometimes more than once a day. Sorry, TMI, but it did have that affect too. I take lamictal daily and have for 10 years. There is no drug interaction between the two. I had success on welbutrin pre op but post op it was very dangerous for me. Since that experience and my husband's experience with celexa, and a few others, I am pretty much anti antidepressant. Ive done a lot of research and fond a lot of stories like ours where they destroyed people's lives. Everyone is different but for me they're a no. I take 5htp now which increases seratonin naturally. It is a supplement you can get anywhere. I'm even closely monitorimg myself with that but so far so good. Just be careful. Doctors write these prescriptions like they're nothing and they don't tell you how devastating the side effects can really be. Do your homework before you put anything in your body. Only you know what is best for you.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    The behavior would start within a month. I never told my doctor. I just stopped taking it. She had me taking 150 twice a day. I also lost interest in sex. My husband and I have a very active sex life and suddenly I was lucky if I wanted it once a week. We were intimate daily! Sometimes more than once a day. Sorry, TMI, but it did have that affect too. I take lamictal daily and have for 10 years. There is no drug interaction between the two. I had success on welbutrin pre op but post op it was very dangerous for me. Since that experience and my husband's experience with celexa, and a few others, I am pretty much anti antidepressant. Ive done a lot of research and fond a lot of stories like ours where they destroyed people's lives. Everyone is different but for me they're a no. I take 5htp now which increases seratonin naturally. It is a supplement you can get anywhere. I'm even closely monitorimg myself with that but so far so good. Just be careful. Doctors write these prescriptions like they're nothing and they don't tell you how devastating the side effects can really be. Do your homework before you put anything in your body. Only you know what is best for you.
    I definitely did my homework, and from past experience I knew anything that upped my serotonin levels would not work for me. I can't sleep or Dream on SSRIs. Even the Tramadol I took for pain preop would cause insomnia because it does have some low level SSRI properties. That's one of the many reasons that led me to Wellbutrin since it works on dopamine instead of seratonin. I also discussed it with my therapist, and based on the psychological issues I was having, she agreed Wellbutrin was a good choice. Believe me, I had to do SOMETHING. I was to the point of spending most of my days trying to talk myself out of suicide. I actually had to convince my PCP to Rx It for me cause he doesn't particularly think antidepressants are the way to go. He ended up giving me several articles about the latest in psychotherapy and related drug industry when he reluctantly wrote the prescription.

As for Wellbutrin's effects, it has literally saved my life. I've been on it for 6 months with none of the side effects you describe. In fact, it helps me be able to focus better and think more clearly. My life is no longer a black hole. And that's even on a low dose of 150mg/day. But I do know others that didn't do well on it. Mostly because they suffered from anxiety and Wellbutrin is specifically contraindicated if you have anxiety issues.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

I definitely did my homework, and from past experience I knew anything that upped my serotonin levels would not work for me. I can't sleep or Dream on SSRIs. Even the Tramadol I took for pain preop would cause insomnia because it does have some low level SSRI properties. That's one of the many reasons that led me to Wellbutrin since it works on dopamine instead of seratonin. I also discussed it with my therapist, and based on the psychological issues I was having, she agreed Wellbutrin was a good choice. Believe me, I had to do SOMETHING. I was to the point of spending most of my days trying to talk myself out of suicide. I actually had to convince my PCP to Rx It for me cause he doesn't particularly think antidepressants are the way to go. He ended up giving me several articles about the latest in psychotherapy and related drug industry when he reluctantly wrote the prescription.

As for Wellbutrin's effects, it has literally saved my life. I've been on it for 6 months with none of the side effects you describe. In fact, it helps me be able to focus better and think more clearly. My life is no longer a black hole. And that's even on a low dose of 150mg/day. But I do know others that didn't do well on it. Mostly because they suffered from anxiety and Wellbutrin is specifically contraindicated if you have anxiety issues.
    I am so happy that it has worked for you. I wish so much it would have worked for me. I am in a deep black hole right now and I really had high hopes. I thought it would be the branch to pull me out. But it wasn't. And I'm afraid to try anything else. So I'm down here feeling so alone, living only for my loved ones because I know they would be lost without me. I have no energy. I have no drive. I feel powerless when I used to feel powerful and full of life. I even got laid off, thank you Schlumberger, so I've lost my professional identity too plus access to my daily gym and personal trainer. Itsjust all gone to shit and I hoped welbutrin would help. I was so sad when I had to stop taking it because I don't feel like I can find my way back up on my own. But I have to. And I will. I just hope soon. I hope the gym helps. Tomorrow. One day at a time. Small goals. If I go tomorrow it will be one step up. I hope.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member flintdonnel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Jamal Farhan, MD, FACS
    Last Activity
    05-16-2017 05:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The thing with most addictions is that for most, addicts can just cut them out of their lives and avoid them all together and stay removed. A food addiction is different in that we all need to keep eating regardless of an addiction or not. There is no quitting cold turkey. There is no just say no. There is no avoiding the places that you used to go or that group of friends. We all need to eat. We still need to eat. We somehow need to be able to learn to eat in a way that allows us to get our nourishment but not allow us to get out of control or use it as a medication. I have looked at food as an art and I can honestly say that I do enjoy the multitude of flavors just as some people enjoy wonderful paintings or a play or music. I know after I have the surgery, that I will still enjoy the flavors and textures. I am hoping that it will help me gain some control of the quantities though. Hang in there. You are not alone and as far as the deaths go, You are still alive. do not stop living. I have found some comfort in a rather simple expression in that I have learned to be thankful for the time that I had with the loved ones that have passed and not dwell on the fact that I will no longer make memories with them.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tom White
    Last Activity
    12-30-2016 02:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Hi there. I am reading this post and noticed it's several months old. I am curious to know how you are doing? See, I am where you were, and feel like a failure. I know what to do, it's the doing it that's hard! I met with a new doctor yesterday since I moved out of state and couldn't go back to my original doc. He was very thorough, even to the point about talking about stressors in my life and that I need to find better outlets than food. I was hoping he would say that my sleeve surgery wasn't done right and I needed a revision. While my sleeve was slightly bigger than a normal sleeve, he told me to get back on the program and I will see a reduction in my weight.

Any tips on how you are getting back on track?

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    02/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mayes
    Last Activity
    01-25-2018 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 91 Times

thank you, thank you, thank you so much for posting. I agree that most people don't come back here to report weight gain. But I'm sure a few of us have this problem and it's nice to know other people on here can be very supportive and give advice. With that said, I have gained weight and I'm three years out. It is very embarrassing. I don't have any advice for you, as I'm looking for some as well. I do want you to know that you are not alone.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Diane. I read your confession. Good on you for sharing. I hope that you were able to get back on track and find yourself again. Good luck.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts

I asked my doc about his regain statistics prior to surgery. He told me that 80% of his patients were down 50% of their excess weight at the 5 year mark. At 100 pounds overweight, I felt like I could live with this because even 50 pounds is a lot of weight to have lost. Many of his patients have stayed at or near their goal weight at the 5 year mark. I asked him about the other 20%, and he said that there are people that learn to eat around their sleeve and will gain everything back. He said that it is more mental than anything. At almost 6 months out, I am past the 50 pound mark. I am still following his instructions to the letter and am still losing. Hopefully I will reach my goal. I can only hope that 5 years out I'll still be able to maintain, because it looks like there are challenges and your body adjusts as time passes.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bluegrass state's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/24/2018
    Last Activity
    02-26-2020 09:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 222 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,773 Times

Oh yes, your body definitely adjusts as time goes by! And, I think the term eating around your sleeve is true. I am still here and still in the same position but I think I am maintaining now .. still close to what I was in my original post. I kind of feel that I am never satisfied with food. I enjoy eating! It's strangely makes me happy and content and now that I am Limited to the amount, it almost makes me left wanting moreee, even more than before. I don't know.. it's hard to explain. Lol!

01/26/12: 342.6 - Highest Weight
    03/01/12: 333 lbs - 1st Wt @ Surgeon's office
    04/17/12: 310.4 lbs - Surgery Day
    05/14/12: -50.6 gone
    10/06/12: -100.8 gone
    04/17/13: (ONE YR Post Op) -143.6 gone

5/1/17: Regaining.. it sucks

Gastric Sleeve Member chris lee's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Last Activity
    05-21-2017 09:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Great information! I will be glad i read your words as my sleeve journey is just beginning on 04/18/2017.

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member PlantBasedSleever's Avatar
    Name
    Sheila
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce De Leon
    Last Activity
    09-16-2017 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Switch to whole food plant based eating. This is how I don't gain and even still lose 5 years after having a sleeve.
    Doctors don't know enough about nutrition. Read How Not To Die, The China Study, or Forks Over Knives. If I had known then what I know now , I would not have needed surgery. Gastric sleeve is only temporarily for most people because they are still putting the same toxic, carcinogen foods in their bodies.

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bluegrass state's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/24/2018
    Last Activity
    02-26-2020 09:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 222 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,773 Times

Yes! I have been back on track, counting carbs, and reading things on the ketogenic way of eating, since June 26th, and am down 19 lbs! And like you said, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have needed the surgery. One day at a time...
    ..And, as they say, once you are "fat adapted", and detoxed from all of the carbs, you don't get as hungry!

01/26/12: 342.6 - Highest Weight
    03/01/12: 333 lbs - 1st Wt @ Surgeon's office
    04/17/12: 310.4 lbs - Surgery Day
    05/14/12: -50.6 gone
    10/06/12: -100.8 gone
    04/17/13: (ONE YR Post Op) -143.6 gone

5/1/17: Regaining.. it sucks

26. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.almanza
    Last Activity
    09-13-2017 08:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Diane, I had my sleeve done 3 years ago and lost over 100 pounds in the 18 months. Then the weight starting creeping back slowly over the next year. My mom died, marriage sucked, work was stressful and to top all that off and I was so disappointed in myself, depressed and discouraged, I was back up 35 pounds and climbing and felt like a failure.
    Things took a quick turn for the better about 7 months ago when I was introduced to the link between weight gain and Gut Health. In the past 6 months I have lost 25 pounds, have more energy, no longer anemic, better mood, no longer constipated (after 20 years) and sleeping like a baby at night. I researched like crazy and got approval from my local doctor to start taking an all-natural supplement that is healing my gut, balancing my blood sugar and my 46 year old wacky hormones. I’m honestly not even sure what is causing the weight loss. Is it because I’m more rested and less likely to lay on the couch at night? Is it because I’m not craving and eating chocolate during my PMS roller coaster? Is it because I’m less depressed so don’t go to potato chips for comfort? I don’t know but I do know it’s working and I no longer look in the mirror and think “you suck; you are a failure”. I’d love to share with you, if you are interested. I've waited this long to tell anyone just in case it was a fluke or temporary.
    You don't suck and we can turn this around...really

28. Said thanks:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast