I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/24/2018
    Last Activity
    02-26-2020 09:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 222 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,773 Times

Default Re: 4 years Post-Op - and I've GAINED ~~ A LOT! I am mortified and ashamed...

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    So, to the OP. You already know how to lose it. Just do it. PM me if you need some help. I'll be glad to give it.

Thank you! I really appreciate that! And, I look forward to your post! I hope I don't miss seeing it!!!!

01/26/12: 342.6 - Highest Weight
    03/01/12: 333 lbs - 1st Wt @ Surgeon's office
    04/17/12: 310.4 lbs - Surgery Day
    05/14/12: -50.6 gone
    10/06/12: -100.8 gone
    04/17/13: (ONE YR Post Op) -143.6 gone

5/1/17: Regaining.. it sucks

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4 years Post-Op - and I've GAINED ~~ A LOT! I am mortified and ashamed...

You must never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever over eat......ever.

I have been mostly lurking on here for the last year or so and this place has gotten as stale as 3 week old bread.
    I have a prob with overeating. That's how I got obese. How do you not over eat without measuring?

This forum has helped me tremendously, even though it may not be thrilling reading all the time. Folks like you, Ann2, Mbenson.....you guys keep all us newbies, with our dumb questions and freak outs, sane.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherman
    Last Activity
    01-09-2017 05:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,269 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost two years out and I am in the 5 pound battle only mines is 12 pounds. I echo those here and say I commend you sharing your get back on the wagon challenge. A lot of people here recommend therapy and support groups and I have nothing against either but for the most part they share things you know you should have already been doing and that makes you feel worse. I think the best advice I got when I came back to this site was to start from scratch. Do the pouch test and work backwards. Counting protien and calories and water all worked well for me but it was getting my stomach back to the uncomfortable feeling of full that kick started my weight loss. Another thing I simply had to do was stop all of the supplemental vitamins temporarily, coupled with my blood pressure medication, I couldn't tell if I was hungry, thirsty or just plain tired and was fighting to stay awake a little longer. So I stopped the supplemental vitamins and started leaning on my own energy and miraculously started burning calories, slowly but surely. Another thing my doctor had been told me to do and I just started doing was go to a plant based diet because of my cholesterol. Protein is good to you but not in some cases good for you. He told me something that ring in my head everytime I see a piece of meat "meat should be like dessert and dessert should be non existant . All or some of the things here are worth a try, but now that you have gotten pass some major stress hurdles in your life try some of the things you know. You lost 148 you are still down 68 so stop the weight gain in its tracks and make the weight loss surgery still worth it four years later. Continue to post and we will continue support. Best of luck to you.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
    I have a prob with overeating. That's how I got obese. How do you not over eat without measuring?

This forum has helped me tremendously, even though it may not be thrilling reading all the time. Folks like you, Ann2, Mbenson.....you guys keep all us newbies, with our dumb questions and freak outs, sane.
    You are one of my favorite newbies, Pam! You remind me a lot of myself at the beginning. I was always on here getting what I mentally needed. There was a lady called Rainbow, and she was so amazing. Once in awhile she will still pop in, but it has been awhile. So many wonderful people here. I will always be grateful. We can all pay it forward to some degree, and I am glad for those like Diane who realize they need a lifeline and come for support. It has always helped me to help others.
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

OMG....this is written by someone who has been there and done that. I'm coming up on four years. I gain and lose the same 5 lbs week in and week out. The only thing I track is protein and water. Nothing else. Why? Because if you eat your protein, take your supplements, DRINK YOUR WATER, and participate in some moderate exercise, you will not gain. Oh wait....I forgot the most important thing. You must never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever over eat......ever.

It's not about what you eat. It's about how much of it you eat. Here's the lesson. We all have to learn how to live like a sleeved person in a non sleeved world. Does that mean we have to spend the rest of our lives measuring our food and tracking portions? It might for you, but, it sure as hell doesn't mean that for me. For me, I want to eat what I want, when I want and made just the way I like it. I just don't over eat. I pay attention to 100 oz of Water a day and no less than 65 oz of protein. How I get the protein in my body means nothing to me. It could be rib eye steak and shrimp, or fried chicken with gravy. Either way, I eat what I can and never over eat. I eat five times a day so I'm never hungry. And, on those occasions that I gain weight, I go back to the mother ship and count my protein and water....religiously. The weight will come off about twice as fast as it went on and I go along my merry way.

I too have a problem with 4-6 month "vets" who come on here and regurgitate something they read or heard without really knowing if it works. How would they know? Well, they would have to have lost all of their weight, kept it off for some time, gained some weight back, lost that, zip lined down Fremont Street in a Speedo....wait....I digress.

So, to the OP. You already know how to lose it. Just do it.

PM me if you need some help. I'll be glad to give it.

By the way...August 12th is my 4 year anniversary. I plan on posting a nuclear bomb of a post. I have been mostly lurking on here for the last year or so and this place has gotten as stale as 3 week old bread.

Gonna shake that up.
    I have tried to incorporate the "never overeat" mantra into my habits. You would think that would be self-evident, but it was also a problem long after the sleeve. That is why it was so very important to learn to eat real food. If you don't learn what food to eat that will allow you to still lose while not going hungry, it can lead back to those old feelings of, OMG I better eat it, becaue I am going to be starving later. That has been key for me. I never go hungry. And when I start to feel like I am hungry, I eat without shame or remorse.
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_902010 View Post
    A lot of people here recommend therapy and support groups and I have nothing against either but for the most part they share things you know you should have already been doing and that makes you feel wors.
    Just to clarify, the therapy I am talking about has nothing to do with food or nutrition or following a bariatric plan. In fact, the therapist I see doesn't even know what a VSG is. I'm probably her first patient that ever had WLS. For the most part, obesity is about emotions and addiction, not food. The kind of therapy I am talking about is the kind that helps us learn how to deal with stress without turning to food or alcohol or other destructive behaviors. Teaches us to feel our emotions rather than feed them. The kind that helps you uncover and deal with the demons that made us fat in the first place. If you eat when you are stressed or depressed or angry or in celebration or when you are bored, this kind of therapy is what is helpful, not nutritional education. If you can win the mental battles and develop the right coping skills, the food part of our struggles is automatically removed from the equation.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post

Awesome freaking question. This is the basis of how to lose and maintain, and, the genesis of my plan.

For all newly sleeved people, please read this carefully and digest it. The very first thing you need to do is to invest what ever time it takes to learn what full feels like for you. For some reason, getting sleeved changes what full feels like. It most definitely won't feel like it used to. There seems to be a trigger that lets you know you are full without actually feeling full. Most on here will attest to getting a runny nose or to start sneezing. I've had that happen to me at times. But, for me, my full trigger is something I call the kerplop. I can actually feel the first bite of food I eat hit the bottom of my sleeve. When I feel that, I put my fork down and step away. I've actually put my fork down in the middle of putting a bite into my mouth. I've learned that once I feel the first bite "kerplop" at the bottom of my sleeve, it'll be another minute or two before all of it makes it down there and I've found that I am always 100% satisfied in about five minutes. Over the course of the last four years, I've also learned how much food it takes to fill me up and I don't put more than that on my plate at any one given time...unless I'm eating out.

So, to answer your question, if you discover what full feels like for you and what that trigger is, you'll never have to measure your portions again. If you don't over eat, you just plain old can't eat enough of the "bad" foods in order to gain weight. So, that, in a nutshell, is my plan. I loosely track my protein, drink 100 oz of water a day, exercise and take a freaking bucket load of supplements every day. The supplements are crucial.

If any of you aren't taking supplements, then you need to. Supplements are, in my opinion, as crucial as protein and water in losing and maintaining.

As always, pm me if any of you want to discuss further.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Just to clarify...

If you READ my post, I was responding to someone who HASN'T BEEN SLEEVED YET.

I share MY OWN experience, strength and hope.

You can dispute facts, you CANNOT dispute MY EXPERIENCE.

TAKE WHAT YOU NEED AND LEAVE THE REST!

I depend on the "VETERANS" here. I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE ONE MYSELF!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

We all are sharing our experiences here. What works one does not work for others. The key is to realize there are oprions and no quick fixes. Some would say I am saying to quit the supplements, I am not but I did for now, my are stable and my body is more balanced. It may not be the same for someone else. That doesn't make my experience worth sharing.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

We all are sharing our experiences here. What works one does not work for others. The key is to realize there are oprions and no quick fixes. Some would say I am saying to quit the supplements, I am not but I did for now, my labs are stable and my body is more balanced. It may not be the same for someone else. That doesn't make my experience worth sharing.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bluegrass state's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/24/2018
    Last Activity
    02-26-2020 09:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 222 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,773 Times

I had my appointment with my Weight Loss Center last Monday, and it went well.

I have been so busy and have not had time to come back to tell ya'll what happened, but - I will!!

A>S>A>P!!!

01/26/12: 342.6 - Highest Weight
    03/01/12: 333 lbs - 1st Wt @ Surgeon's office
    04/17/12: 310.4 lbs - Surgery Day
    05/14/12: -50.6 gone
    10/06/12: -100.8 gone
    04/17/13: (ONE YR Post Op) -143.6 gone

5/1/17: Regaining.. it sucks

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zane
    Last Activity
    08-07-2016 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm there with you. I have been sleeved now for almost 6 years and in the past year I have also gained 20+ lbs. At the time of my surgery I weighed about 287 my lowest I ever got was 185 but stayed steady at about 190-195. I understand what you're going through and the depression you must feel as I'm in that same boat. What has started helping me out in losing again is Atkins. I still can't eat very much but like you I have started eating nothing but carbs. I've noticed though when I start eating an Atkins type diet I lose pretty fast. Start there. Eat high protein meals try and stay away from carbs (I know super hard to do) and just move. Walk around ... that helps. The sleeve is a tool inside of us and it helps us lose faster than normal folks. Good luck and I know I need it too.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maura View Post
    I'm there with you. I have been sleeved now for almost 6 years and in the past year I have also gained 20+ lbs. At the time of my surgery I weighed about 287 my lowest I ever got was 185 but stayed steady at about 190-195. I understand what you're going through and the depression you must feel as I'm in that same boat. What has started helping me out in losing again is Atkins. I still can't eat very much but like you I have started eating nothing but carbs. I've noticed though when I start eating an Atkins type diet I lose pretty fast. Start there. Eat high protein meals try and stay away from carbs (I know super hard to do) and just move. Walk around ... that helps. The sleeve is a tool inside of us and it helps us lose faster than normal folks. Good luck and I know I need it too.
    Wow! Nearly 6 yrs sleeved! You're a pioneer!

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Bellanger
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 05:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi my name is brenda and i am actually living in louisville. I had my sleeve in 2007 and i have gained alot back. I really dont think if i by grace of God was able to get on track that my sleeve would even work. I was so dedicated and happy and then i started all bad habits again.i would love to email u more about it. I am responding from my iphone and its a pain. My email address is boleobull@gmail.com.

Thanks,
    Brenda Guarneri

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-03-2023 07:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

I too am 4 years post and gained 80 pounds the last time I checked...I'm to ashamed to step back on the scales. I am thinking I have stretched my stomach back to the size it was before GS.Even though I don't eat a lot more, I do feel hungry more , so I eat every 2 hours. I'm sitting here researching if I should go for a revision or Gbypass.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast