Last Activity
    09-25-2016 10:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile 10 Questions for the Sleeved

Hi!

I know everyone's experience is different, but I do have a few questions for you guys.
    After being sleeved:
    1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different?
    2) Do you throw up?
    3) Do you have heartburn?
    4) Do you feel hungry?
    5) Do you exercise?
    6) Do you feel dizzy?
    7) Have you had a leak?
    8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food?
    9) Do you regret getting the sleeve?
    10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve?

Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/13/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    11-10-2017 09:13 AM
    East Africa,���� but home is deep in the heart of Texas!
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 10 Questions for the Sleeved

Hi Mary,
    I'm still pretty new into my journey (two weeks as of Monday) but here are my responses:

1) I'm on stage 3 which is soft, pureed food. I've eating a lot soup, refried beans, cottage cheese and eggs. So far, I haven't had any issues digesting anything.

2) I've thrown up once and that was when I was still in the hospital and shortly after surgery. I think it may have been due to the pain medication. I hadn't eaten so it was just a lot of gagging.
    3) No heartburn so far.
    4) I get hungry, but it's not hunger like prior to surgery. For example, my family and I went to a local tourist attraction. I had a protein shake for lunch while we were out at about 12:30. We didn't get home until about 7. By that time, I was hungry, but prior to the surgery I probably would have been deliriously hungry, light headed, cranky, and would have completely lost control, and gone through the nearest drive-thru and ordered a large everything. However today, I just came home and calmly warmed up some leftover soup from the night before.

5) I was pretty consistent with my exercise prior to surgery. However I just started back on Monday. My focus now is on toning and strength training, but I would also like to run a 5k by the end of the year.
    6) I've only felt dizzy once and that was about a week after surgery. I had been sitting out in the heat and I hadn't had enough water. I stood up and had to balance myself on something. I couldn't physically drink a lot of water and quite frankly I really had no business being out in the heat an the sun so soon after surgery.
    7)No leaks. Hopefully I'll be out of the danger zone soon.
    8) Not sure, but I think so. That's a tough one.
    9) No regrets although my weight loss hasn't been as fast as others. The first few days after surgery were tough. I wasn't in pain, but I couldn't drink, I didn't like taking the medication, I was tired, etc. For about a half a day, I started wondering what I had done to myself. However I just went back and read some positive experiences and kept reminding myself that the discomfort was temporary.
    10) For me it's been good so far. However, I think before having the surgery that prospective patients should really strive to make the dietary changes first. For me, I had already cut out (or at least WAY back) on sweets, bread, read meat. I started getting in the habit of telling people "no thanks" when I was offered food, but wasn't hungry (like in the office when someone brings in donuts for breakfast.). I'm hoping that these habits will make things easier when I'm cleared to eat regular food again.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/29/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christine Lovato
    Last Activity
    07-16-2017 10:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your post. I'm headed to the hospital tomorrow for my sleeve. I hope I do as well as you have.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verdura
    Last Activity
    06-29-2016 09:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hello

1. Nothing really tastes different, no. I had been afraid (lol) that I would no longer like indian or sushi - but I still love them. For a month or two after surgery there were certain foods I just didn't want as much and certain foods I loved. For example, I could have eaten chili all day every day. But that phase has passed.
    2. If I don't eat when I take my vitamins I will throw them up. I've tried switching vitamins 3 times and they're all the same for me. As long as I eat I'm fine. Immediately after surgery when I was still in the hospital the pain meds made me puke - but that stopped when the pain meds stopped which, was the next day because the pain is really minimal.
    3. I took prescription antacid for 3 months after surgery but have since stopped and have no heartburn.
    4. Sometimes I feel hungry. The first time it happened I was annoyed because I had heard that I wouldn't feel hungry. I've never felt famished. It just sort of comes and then goes away. Hard to explain but it's NOT like before.
    5. I do not exercise as much as I promised pre-op me that I would BUT I'm far more active than I ever was in my life. i go to the gym maybe 3-4 times a week. I also go swimming now that it's summer where I live. I do want to get back to going to the gym 5 days a week because I feel better when I do that - physically and emotionally.
    6. Dizzy - nope.
    7. No leaks - and I was SO SURE I was going to get one. Had myself worried sick.
    8. Yes I think I did and still am absorbing meds and nutrients. In the beginning it was tricky with getting protein in. Everyone says its going to be hard but you just dont really get HOW hard until you're there trying to force a protein shake down your throat. I wasn't getting enough and I would get SO tired. But I've adjusted and as the first few months go by you figure it out. Now I feel great. My hair loss (which kicked in at about month 3) has slowed down and basically stopped. My first blood work up in a while is coming up so I'll find out if I'm doing good or not.
    9. Do you regret getting the sleeve? I only regret not getting it SOONER
    10. Would you recommend getting the sleeve? I recommend it to anyone who is able to do it. It is absolutely life changing.

Good luck on your journey!!

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Immediately postop everything tasted way too sweet to me. Resorted to a lot of broths with unflavored protein powder to escape all the sweet shakes. Intolerance to Lactose and artificial sweeteners for 4 months. Had a hard time with coffee and salad for about 8-10 months. After 1 year absolutely no issues whatsoever. Can eat/drink anything.

2) Do you throw up?
    Never

Only if I drink too much alcohol or too much coffee

4) Do you feel hungry?
    Yep, every 3 hours. Starving after 4-5 hours.

5) Do you exercise?
    No, but have a physical job and active lifestyle

6) Do you feel dizzy?
    Never

7) Have you had a leak?
    No

Yes...at 2 1/2 years out my bloodwork is perfect and way better than preop.

Not for one minute

Only if you are 100% committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes. Surgery will be a complete waste without doing the mental work to change the things that led you to becoming fat in the first place. I highly recommend professional therapy or counseling to help you uncover the causes of your obesity, learn new coping mechanisms and how to change any destructive behaviors.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRevised View Post
    Hi!

I know everyone's experience is different, but I do have a few questions for you guys.
    After being sleeved:
    2) Do you throw up?
    4) Do you feel hungry?
    5) Do you exercise?
    6) Do you feel dizzy?
    7) Have you had a leak?

Thanks!
    1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? Foods do taste different, things do taste sweetier or sometimes chemically.
    2) Do you throw up? post op? I almost did with the liquid codine they gave me for pain, but it was more like nauseousness. No throwing up post op.
    3) Do you have heartburn? Once about 3-4 days post op I woke up with my throat burning. It was scary. Has never reoccurred. I bought a bed/mattress incliner
    4) Do you feel hungry? About a week to two weeks post op I had hunger pangs in the evening. I believed it was head hunger or some food craving episode, but as soon as I introduced fiber through Raw Fit protein shakes it has gone away. I eat on schedule even if I'm not hungry which is most of the time. If I go over three hours without eating I noticed I get crancky and headachy (hangry!)
    5) Do you exercise? YES! I took a five day break during my moon last week, but a resounding yes!
    6) Do you feel dizzy? If I don't eat on schedule yes I get dizzy
    7) Have you had a leak? I've had three natural vaginal births, what do you think? J/K! No complications whatsoever.
    8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? My recent 4 weeks post op labs showed that I was no longer Iron or Vitamin D deficient, no longer prediabetic and that my cholesterol went down from 220 to 145! I'm definitely absorbing nutrients from food and vitamins compared to labs taken last December.
    9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? Nope!
    10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? I believe Bariatric surgery was a life saver for me, the benefits outweighed the risks! and that it is a very personal decision one has to make on their own volition. I wouldn't recommend it if I saw someone was not ready to make drastic change in their life. It is not a magic wand that will make weight, or food or eating related issues or compulsions go away.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRevised View Post
    Hi!

I can give you my perspective from 4 years out. The answers have changed over time, but here is my experience NOW.

After being sleeved:
    1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? Nothing tastes different, but I have to avoid sugar or I blow up like a balloon from gas. This is a goid deterrant for me, because sugar-chocolate-desserts have always been my achilles heel when it comes to diet.

2) Do you throw up? Rarely

3) Do you have heartburn? Sometimes, but if I don't overeat and lay down, it is rare.

4) Do you feel hungry? I did right after surgery, but not now. I drink a lot of coffee, but that is later for you. I learned that a low carb was key for me. You will have to experiment to see what your body needs, and what works to help you lose and maintain.

5) Do you exercise? Not as much as I should, but I like walking on the treadmill, book and music in hand.

6) Do you feel dizzy? Sometimes, my bp gets low if I don't eat enough.

7) Have you had a leak? No, never

8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? Yes, no problems here.

9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? No, never. It changed my life!

10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? Only every single day!!

Thanks!
    Cheers and best wishes to you!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryRevised's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Wright
    Last Activity
    09-25-2016 10:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow! Thank you so much to everyone that has responded. This information is awesome!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member PleaseSleeveMe's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Yijun Chen
    Last Activity
    06-23-2017 10:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Yes, thanks! To those of us who are freshly post-op, this is a great way to get a sense of what the next few months of the journey might look like!
    Highest weight: 208
    1st Pre-op weigh-in: 198
    Surgery day weight: 196
    Goal weight: 141
    Ridiculous fantasy goal weight: 120

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Muted_Tummy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr R. Kruger
    Last Activity
    11-20-2017 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

I have just started month 2. Food stage is soft foods.

1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? (there are things I cannot eat yet due to the dietary plan we follow...I am still healing. So far, anything that was permitted has not given me an issue)

2) Do you throw up? (nope)

3) Do you have heartburn? (nope, but, I am still on once daily Prilosec for another week)

4) Do you feel hungry? (I have hunger, many don't. I eat every 3 hours)

5) Do you exercise? (I can only walk at this point. Will start dong more this month with clearance in two weeks from doc)

6) Do you feel dizzy? (nope)

7) Have you had a leak? (nope)

8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? (no way to tell but I feel great, so, yes?)

9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? (no way!!)

10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? (yes, but....you have to have/embrace/acquire healthy habits for life that include eating protein, veg, drinking lots of water and taking supplements daily to name a few of the big ones....if that is all NEW to you, work on developing these healthy habits so they are habits before surgery)
    Highest Weight: 281 lbs. (2.29.16)
    Official first surgeon weigh in: 274 lbs (3.18.16)
    Surgery weight: 264.2 (5.31.16)

stats sheet:http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=29990

M1: -21.6
    M2: -7.6
    M3: -13.4 (5 week month)
    M4: -9.6
    M5: -8.2
    M6: -7.6
    M7: -6.6
    M8: -6.6
    M9: -4.6

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Muted_Tummy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr R. Kruger
    Last Activity
    11-20-2017 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

I have just started month 2. Food stage is soft foods.

1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? (there are things I cannot eat yet due to the dietary plan we follow...I am still healing. So far, anything that was permitted has not given me an issue)

2) Do you throw up? (nope)

3) Do you have heartburn? (nope, but, I am still on once daily Prilosec for another week)

4) Do you feel hungry? (I have hunger, many don't. I eat every 3 hours)

5) Do you exercise? (I can only walk at this point. Will start dong more this month with clearance in two weeks from doc)

6) Do you feel dizzy? (nope)

7) Have you had a leak? (nope)

8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? (no way to tell but I feel great, so, yes?)

9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? (no way!!)

10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? (yes, but....you have to have/embrace/acquire healthy habits for life that include eating protein, veg, drinking lots of water and taking supplements daily to name a few of the big ones....if that is all NEW to you, work on developing these healthy habits so they are habits before surgery)
    Highest Weight: 281 lbs. (2.29.16)
    Official first surgeon weigh in: 274 lbs (3.18.16)
    Surgery weight: 264.2 (5.31.16)

stats sheet:http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=29990

M1: -21.6
    M2: -7.6
    M3: -13.4 (5 week month)
    M4: -9.6
    M5: -8.2
    M6: -7.6
    M7: -6.6
    M8: -6.6
    M9: -4.6

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Hi Mary! I'm almost seven months out so far, and here's my answers. I really like this thread by the way!

At this time, I have no food issues. I can eat anything. In the first few months I couldn't tolerate any kind of bread or vegetable skins, but now there are no issues. However, I have now gotten myself into the habit of not having heavy starches like bread, rice, or pasta. I can eat those items but don't really feel like it so I don't. I love salty foods now, so I'd much rather eat a few ounces of delicious salty brisket and a few bites of asparagus than have bread. The big thing for me was that food and water suddenly became more bland, so now I love cooking with lots of spices, chilies, and of course salt. Processed food tastes really gross to me; when I drive past fast food places it always smells like burnt onions and burnt fried chicken now.
    2) Do you throw up?
    I have not thrown up once since surgery. I came close once the first day I had to start taking calcium; I got these pills that were supposed to be bari-friendly but they were huge honkin horse pills and I seriously thought I was going to puke once I got the first one down. Now I take calcium citrate in a chew form; peanut butter chocolate, yum.
    I have what feels like heartburn but for me is "protein pangs". It happens about two hours after a meal, so I head it off by eating three meals and two snacks a day. You can also get the heartburn feeling if you eat too much, too fast, but I try to be careful about that.
    4) Do you feel hungry?
    Again, I get that hunger pain/heartburn feeling only about two hours after a meal. I honestly have to keep reminding myself to eat, and have a daily routine that keeps that in check so I get enough protein, produce, and water.
    5) Do you exercise?
    I was an avid weight lifter before surgery, and I had to return back slowly because I also had a huge hiatal hernia. Now I do weight lifting and cycling Tuesdays and Thursdays, swim strength training classes Mon/Wed/Fri, and hike on Saturdays. I sing in choir on Sundays, which takes a lot more energy than some people realize. This strength training has helped a lot with loose skin, though of course I still have some.
    6) Do you feel dizzy?
    I have felt lightheaded lately, and my doctor and bariatric coordinator diagnosed me with too little sodium intake (more salt, yummy!) and needed to wean me off my hypertension meds because I was starting to be consistently around 110/64 with my blood pressure. I also can't take hot showers currently, dang it.
    7) Have you had a leak?
    I am extreeeeeeemely lucky that so far I have not had major complications like a leak (knock on wood). I did however get a kidney stone despite taking in tons of fluids. Now I drink 64-74 ounces of plain water a day, and 25-30 ounces from iced tea/protein shake/coffee.
    I definitely think I'm doing well on absorbing my vitamins and nutrients. I have a ton of energy, I have new hair growth and no problems with nail growth, I don't bruise easily, and since I started increasing my sodium levels and weaning off the hypertension meds I have been feeling amazing.
    I only wish I could have gotten the sleeve sooner!
    I highly recommend the sleeve for those considering bariatric surgery who do not have GERD/heartburn issues. However, I HIGHLY recommend anyone considering the surgery remember this is major surgery and research as much as humanly possible to make the most informed and best decision for your body.

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? No, I can eat anything. I think my stomach is a rock. Things taste just the same.

2) Do you throw up? Never

3) Do you have heartburn? Never

4) Do you feel hungry? Yes! (But at first I did not, I'm almost 3 years out.)

5) Do you exercise? Yes! Key to my success.

6) Do you feel dizzy? Maybe that first week or two after surgery, very rarely, while walking. Take it easy at first.

7) Have you had a leak? No

8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? Yes

9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? No way, best decision I have ever made. Obese to normal, that's a no-brainer.

10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? Of course!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

My surgery was December 2011, so I am speaking more about longer term, not focused on the first few weeks post op.

know everyone's experience is different, but I do have a few questions for you guys.
    After being sleeved:
    1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? Water tasted terrible & metallic for the longest time, but it is mostly back to normal now. Food tasted bad for a few months during the weight loss phase, which I viewed as an opportunity to change my relationship with food. Food tastes good now!
    2) Do you throw up? Only a few times - always from wolfing food too fast
    3) Do you have heartburn? Luckily, no. I am careful to not eat too late and most importantly, to not overeat in quantity
    4) Do you feel hungry? My hunger started returning about 8-9 months post op. Then, by eating low carb, it was under pretty good control. At 4 years post op, my hunger is still WAY less than it was preop but I definately get hungry
    5) Do you exercise? but of course
    6) Do you feel dizzy? nooo... why should I?
    7) Have you had a leak? no, and no other serious complications either
    8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? I don't think I understand your question. I get bloodwork and my nutrient panel looks good.
    9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? NO WAY! I am about half my former size, living the dream!
    10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? If you are ready for big changes and committed to making it work, absolutely!

Thanks!
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

1) Are there any foods you can not eat or does food taste different? no, I didn't like cheese before surgery now I like it
    2) Do you throw up? No
    3) Do you have heartburn? No
    4) Do you feel hungry? No, 1 1/2 years and have never felt hungry. I eat every 3 hours or so. If I waited until I was hungry I wouldn't be eating
    5) Do you exercise? Of course, swim 3 times a week, strength training 3 days and cardio every day (walking, elipitical or biking)
    6) Do you feel dizzy? No
    7) Have you had a leak? No
    8) Do you think you are absorbing your medications and nutrients from food? Blood work is in normal range and only take a multi-vitamin
    9) Do you regret getting the sleeve? No, I weigh less than I did in high school and get hand me downs from my marathon running sister
    10) Would you recommend getting the sleeve? Only if they are ready to make a change in their lifestyle

I'm probably one of the few people that don't regret they didn't have VSG earlier. Mentally I wasn't ready to make a lifestyle change.

Thanks!
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

30. Said thanks: