Surgeon
    Dr. Bello
    Last Activity
    06-27-2016 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie with questions!

Good morning! I am new to this community. I recently made the decision to start my journey to weight loss and a healthier me. I decided to check into the gastric sleeve surgery after many failed attempts to lose weight and keep it off on my own. I know that this is only a tool for weight loss, and I have researched enough to know what Im getting myself into, when it comes to the road that is planned and required by my insurance. Thursday I went to the consult and found out that I was a bit too" healthy" for a big girl to get the surgery. I have no medical ailments other than my weight, which is a good thing. However, I am 4 pounds short of being approved for this by my insurance company. So I guess what Im trying to say is that In my insurance carriers eyes I am healthy, but how can that be when I am so close to being considered morbidly OBESE! Bascically my surgeon left the ball in my court, not encouraging me to gain weight but skating around the idea of putting on some weight to qualify. My question Is, since I already went for my consult and did not meet the requirements at the time, can I try again in a month or so? I honestly don't think gaining 4 pounds is going to be hard for me, although I dread being heavier than I am, my insurance will cover 100% if I meet the requirements.

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Muted_Tummy's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr R. Kruger
    Last Activity
    11-20-2017 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie with questions!

I was you (HEALTHY) but I made the BMI. If you really want this and have tried everything, if it were me, 4 lbs is like my normal shark week gain LOL. I would gain the 4 lbs if you can, make your next appt. late in the day, period week (if you still have one) on a full belly, but quarters in pockets, wear jeans, leave shoes on LOL whatever it took.

They didn't submit to your insurance, right? SO yeah,,,,go back in a month and check your weight.
    Highest Weight: 281 lbs. (2.29.16)
    Official first surgeon weigh in: 274 lbs (3.18.16)
    Surgery weight: 264.2 (5.31.16)

stats sheet:http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=29990

M1: -21.6
    M2: -7.6
    M3: -13.4 (5 week month)
    M4: -9.6
    M5: -8.2
    M6: -7.6
    M7: -6.6
    M8: -6.6
    M9: -4.6

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bello
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure if they submitted to my insurance co. I did pay a co pay but that is as far as the process went after I met with the surgeon. Yes 4 pounds is not hard for me to gain & OMG it is Shark week!!! I think I will go back and see what happens. Thank you !

Gastric Sleeve Member PleaseSleeveMe's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Yijun Chen
    Last Activity
    06-23-2017 10:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I was in a similar boat for getting the right BMI. I was 198 when I first weighed in (I'm short, so 198 is a LOT on my frame) and really needed to get north of 200 for approval. I felt it was stupid to be denied by just a few pounds. So, I tried again a little while later. The day before I ate a bunch of salty food and drank a lot of liquids which I tried to retain. I think I also had a Chipotle burrito on my way to the Dr. And yes, I wore "heavy" clothes. Weigh in was 203! I think it was the only time in my life that I was excited to gain weight.

It's frustrating because any good doctor will tell you that BMI is not a great guideline for health or weight, and yet that is the metric that is used in this case. :-/

Best of luck to you!
    Highest weight: 208
    1st Pre-op weigh-in: 198
    Surgery day weight: 196
    Goal weight: 141
    Ridiculous fantasy goal weight: 120

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bello
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for your reply! I guess Im not sure if I can get an appointment to just go back and try again, or if its going to cause an issue with the insurance co. I have to call tomorrow to see what they suggest. I just went for the consult on Thursday and after much thought and research I think I will gain the weight although I already feel like a busted can of biscuits! LOL..... after all, What's a little jelly on them rolls!

All jokes aside I know I am Blessed to not have any health issues other than obesity. Hopefully I can tackle this issue with a little help!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

People always assume I am taller than I am. The nurse had me down as 5'8" when in reality I am only 5'6.5". Height in itself makes a huge difference ;-)

I was the healthiest fat lady too when I first sought to get the lapband about five years ago, I needed comorbidities but after that initial rejection I was left to my own devices. I went on an only raw food diet and juice cleanse, and while I lost tons of weight on my own having had consumed tons on spinach caused me to get gall stones and three years ago about this time I had the worst gallbladder attack anyone can imagine. After going to ER three times within 24 hours they finally found that it was my gallbladder. I had over 60 stones all trying to come out at once. I have pics to show!

My point is that I lost and regained the weight plus some after gallbladder surgery. The worst part was that I couldn't lose weight as fast anymore. I tried going back to juicing but I was always afraid of what extreme dieting would do to me that time.

Last fall I weight the highest I ever had. When I was told I was one point from being full blown Type 2 Diabetic I cried and told my physician I needed Bariatric surgery. When she told me that all I needed was to exercise and eat right, I LOST it! Told her probably in sobs and a matter of 3 minutes all the times I had succeeded to lose to be back in the same or worse situation.

Don't delay! If this is really what you want and know that your life depends on on it! do what you must! Seek another surgeon if necessary but don't give up!

Best wishes!

Ps...

Here is an update I wrote last Friday on my labs:

My cholesterol went from 220 to 145 since December 2015. My HDL is one point below the normal range, but it actually went up since the last blood test. He said that the only way to raise my good cholesterol (HDL) was by cardiovascular exercise and intake of more omega3s. I am no longer Vitamin D or Iron deficient, and most importantly my A1C, fast and random glucose tests were perfect! I am no longer prediabetic!!! for now. Last blood test results showed that I was one point from Type2 Diabetes. My hope is that through my gastric sleeve I can keep Diabetes at bay for as long as possible.
    Reason: Labs update
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marney
    Surgery date
    06/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.valezuela
    Last Activity
    03-08-2018 01:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Shirl
    Love your avatar!
    I had a lower Bmi and had high cholesterol,high bp and my blood sugars were always higher than normal.My joints were crying everyday. I'm 70 lbs overweight and I think after carrying that weight around we get complacent,as if this is NORMAL! My labs were perfect on medication.But that's not perfect. We live in a increasingly obese world and my view of myself got blurried.I weighed more than many men 6"2. CRAZY! When I had my surgery there were many people there much higher BMI's with no co morbilities, But that doesn't make it normal. Obese is Obese. Period. I'm managing my sleeve nicely following all the rules,not really dropping weight. I'm ok with that slow and steady wins my race,however I am plaqued with terrible plantars fasciitis that has been chronic for 3 years.Today came home in tears again because of the pain. So I say yes go for it because these issues are difficult to resolve and my quality of life is affected.Let your body be your compass. Working this sleeve will be the hardest diet I've been on...the funny thing is medication from surgery must have been floating around in my system because I was pain free 1 wk p.o. It felt marvelous! I just know when I start losing this weigh tit will get better. I got a quick glimpse into how great it can be to be pain-free. Good job Shirl your helping us all here.

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Girl, I would be cracking out the carbs! Insurance companies make us moving targets! It's like they are determined to make it as hard as possible, so maybe you will give up. Crazy-It gets depressing having to jump through the hoops to get them to do what they are supposed to...sure hope it works out for you!!!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome!

My 2 cents worth:
    Do whatever you have to do!

This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

13. Said thanks: