Dr. Orris
    Last Activity
    08-21-2016 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Band to Sleeve....hopefully

Hello everyone,

I've been on this website it seems like all day long. It's so refreshing how kind and supportive you are to each other. I go for my consult in the morning and I'm really hoping to have a game plan in place. I started my original journey six years ago. I decided to have the Realize Band. Oh how I wish I could talk to 25-year-old me and scream at her don't do it! I had nothing but problems after surgery. The doctor had always had an issue accessing my port. About a year or so post op he decided something was wrong and took me back to surgery. Well my tubing had become detached from the port, and the port was flipped over. So after that I had realized my band had never really worked. The new one seem to restrict more, but I was having to relearn everything. I did well for a while and I think the most I got down was 50 pounds. Then I gained a little back and got embarrassed and didn't go back in for another fill. Fast forward a year or so at a new job that didn't have insurance coverage I decided to try to get back on track. I made an appointment with my surgeon, decided to pay cash and go get a fill. Well at that appointment, I got the amazing news (insert sarcasm) that something was not right with this band. He took me over to fluoroscopy was able to access my port filled it all the way and it showed I had no restriction. I was extremely emotional and upset, and certainly didn't want to go through another band surgery. When my surgeons office called back a day or two later she wanted me to check into the hospital through the ER so that they could replace my band. I told her in no uncertain terms that there would not be another band touching this body. I believe I may have mentioned the word lawsuit. Well I never heard back from the surgeons office, went to a bit of depression about it and gave up. I did try to consult a couple of lawyers just to hopefully get enough to pay for a new surgery. It didn't seem to have the dollar signs most lawyers want so I didn't pursue it too hard.

I switched jobs again a few months later and we do not have bariatric coverage with our insurance. I had to have a tonsillectomy a couple years ago so again this went on the back burner. It is always been there in the forefront of my mind because I made this decision so many years ago to make healthy changes in my life. I've been fat my entire life, the typical yo-yo dieting, low self-esteem the whole 9 yards. I finally decided to make an appointment with the surgeon ( a new one since mine was fired...not that he would touch me again) over the past year so I've had a terrible time keeping food down. I would say I throw up on average 20 to 30 times a week. I actually counted a couple weeks ago and I threw up 80 times . This is certainly not good for my body or my health. It's so frustrating because I gained all that weight back plus some, I'm hungry yet throw up all the time. It's all just very defeating and I feel like a failure. I understand that any of the surgeries are just a tool. I know that I am also responsible for my weight gain and not just the failed band.

I'm really hoping that the sleeve is the right decision for me. I can't wait to find out what the next steps are to my new future.

Any advice or positive reinforcement you could give me would be much appreciated

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member EzekielsWheel's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott
    Last Activity
    02-21-2018 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Default Re: Band to Sleeve....hopefully

WOW!!! You have really been through the ringer! It would be interesting to learn more about the firing of your prior surgeon - that alone should be interesting enough for a malpractice case for all the years of suffering you've endured - I would think it would make lawyers salivate. BETTER CALL SAUL!!!

I have not heard many great reports about the band. I know a lady that works with my wife which has one and she can't lose weight and is always getting it adjusted. Granted she's in her mid-60s and does not work out.

Like you said, the sleeve is a "tool". You will lose some weight, but after the honeymoon period it's up to us get the rest off and keep it off. With the sleeve and by following doctors orders you can expect to lose 60-70% of your excess body weight. And doctors orders (my doctor anyway) is exercising at least 45 minutes a day 5 days a week. Now exercise can really be any exertion which gets your heart rate up into the "burn" category which really is not difficult.

I watched as many You Tube videos, the good and the bad, before being sleeved. There were many of people that complained and swore they followed the guidelines, however there were some that essentially went from Biscuits and Gravy to Sleeve and back to Biscuits and Gravy. So it's motivation for me - and accountability. If I don't follow the plan, then the tool will not work. What good is a power drill if it stays in the tool box.

All that to say - YES, the sleeve is the right decision for you. It's the right decision for anyone that battles obesity. But the real struggle with obesity is in the mind. The initial success the sleeve gives us should be used as motivation to change our mindset and lifestyles. And forums and support such as this is what helps us do that as well. The hardest part of any addiction to break is the mental aspect of it, and when it comes to food for comfort, I think we're all in the same mental boat. We have to remind each other of that and not take for granted what is essentially a gift with the sleeve, it jump starts the process but it's up to us to reach our ultimate goal and maintain success. And the last thing any of us want to do is fail and endure the humiliation and mental punishment that would go along with it.

I purchased the Wahoo Fitness chest strap heart monitor, and after buying numerous other devices such as watches, FitBits, etc., nothing is as accurate as the chest strap monitor. It records your heart rate and can accurately calculate calories burned - DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON FITBIT THEY ARE NO AT ALL RELIABLE. My chest strap will let me know when my heart rate is 150BPM, my body knows what 150 BPM feels like - same with 120 BPM, and when my Wahoo Chest Strap is registering that my FitBit will say something like 100-110 BPMs. As well the FitBit is not accurate on steps taken as I can attest to after wearing it on the treadmill for over a year. I finally just through mine away - the FitBit Surge - absolute waste of money. (Rant Over).

The sleeve is far superior to the band and you'll never have to continually have the band tightened again. Go for it!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Angie
    Surgery date
    12/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lahmann
    Last Activity
    03-06-2018 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,258 Times
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with EzekielsWheel. Do it! You will be well pleased.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Niki
    Surgeon
    Dr. Orris
    Last Activity
    08-21-2016 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thank you for the info and the encouragement.

What I didn't say in my post was that the doctor helping me the second time around, that took me to fluoroscopy, wasn't my surgeon. Mine was unavailable that day. All this sweet doc could say was "I would have never done a band on you." That's why a day or two later I got a call from the nurse about my original surgeon wanting to replace it. I spent over $500 finding out this one is broken. When I told her I wasn't doing another band she said my doc wanted to see me. I asked if that was gonna cost me another $250? The office would not waive the fee to just go down and talk to my surgeon. I was so pissed off. When I first looked for lawyers I basically got that answer, not enough damage to pursue. Now I'm outside of the statue of limitations. Most important thing for me is getting healthy. I don't have any of the adverse medical conditions that come with obesity. But it's only a matter of time before I do.

Off to meet the new Doctor now.

Thanks again!

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryRevised's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Wright
    Last Activity
    09-25-2016 10:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Re: Band to Sleeve....hopefully

Hi! I've had two slipped bands. I'm sure there were days I threw up like 12 times. I'll post more later on my story but just wanted you to know you are not alone.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    06/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-23-2016 04:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You are not along my band had slipped and I had the revision from band to sleeve I am 3 weeks out. My band caused me problems. In fact during the revision process I almost didn't get the sleeve because my doctor said there was so much fibrous tissue around my band it was hard to get out. They were worried I had some damage to my stomach. Luckily he did testing while I was under and my stomach was healthy so I was able to get the sleeve.

You got this!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome!

Ezekiels Wheel said it best.

My 2 cents worth:

This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health.

You've come to by far the best site for support, no-nonsense suggestions, knowledge, wisdom and experience.

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member PleaseSleeveMe's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Yijun Chen
    Last Activity
    06-23-2017 10:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

FWIW, I am a lawyer and I briefly represented one of the corporate parties involved in weight-loss banding procedures.

While I'm ethically bound not to discuss anything about my representation of that client or the facts of the case, I can say that gastric banding is not something I would ever, ever, EVER recommend.

Niki, best of luck to you with your sleeve. It sounds as though you've already been through a lot and deserve a break! I'm only very freshly sleeved so I don't have the wisdom and perspective of the "veteran" sleevers here, but so far I am thrilled with the procedure and would definitely recommend it to anyone ready to obtain an amazing tool to help them achieve their health goals.

Hang in there, and good luck!
    Highest weight: 208
    1st Pre-op weigh-in: 198
    Surgery day weight: 196
    Goal weight: 141
    Ridiculous fantasy goal weight: 120