02/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr stoweres
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 08:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Depression because of loose skin?

Hi everyone. I am new. I am 2 years out. I have lost 155 lbs. At 40 my skin is awful. It hangs and flops everywhere. I need a complete body makeover. I didn't think it would bother me. I figured I would be so happy to be smaller it wouldn't matter. But nowv2 years out. I hate myself. I still see that 300 lb me. I look down and still see the 2 stomachs. I still hide in clothes. I am fighting my insurance for panni removal. I have been turned down twice. I am on my last appeal. Does anyone else feel this way? Thanks for listening.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-04-2018 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Depression because of loose skin?

My husband had gastric bypass 15 years ago. He lost 250 pounds and has loose belly skin like an apron It bothers him and he brings it up less often as the years go by. He is still heavy he was almost 600lbs. So he would need to lose more for him to be a candidate for skin removal. I think that is what keeps him from being depressed. Also he has had it a long time so notices it less.

361 lbs-Highest weight at the start of the sleeve research
    350 lbs-Weight at 1st Surgeon Visit
    340 lbs-Weight at pre op 3days prior to surgery (having lost 10 lbs on pre op diet)
    324 lbs- Day 14
    312 lbs -Day 27
    304 lbs- Day 37
    299 lbs- Day 44
    293 lbs- Day 62
    286 lbs- Day 73
    280 lbs- Day 86
    273 lbs- Day 107
    261 lbs- Day 141
    251 lbs 6mo
    242 lbs 7mo
    235 lbs 10mo

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

If you have any rashes, be sure your dr documents it! It took me a year, but I was finally approved. That was a year ago. Would love to have my arms and legs done, but they will never pay for that. I feel the same though. It makes me look heavier than i am.
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr stoweres
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 08:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thanks. Original my husband was going to dip into his 401k and let me get surgery with or without approval. Goal was to get stomach, arms, and possible breast done. But he works for Halliburton. In the last 4-6 months they have laid off 1100 people. Thank God he is still employed but our income has decreased by a 1000 a month due to loss in overtime and knowing our luck if we took out the money he would loose his job. I have made a few complaints about rashes to my pcp and did get the records recently. I have also made appts with a dermatologist and shrink. I read over the list of denials and our trying to cover them all. �� The only one I can't is taking oral meds. I haven't been on those for rashes.

Gastric Sleeve Member Muted_Tummy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr R. Kruger
    Last Activity
    11-20-2017 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

I've met lots of vets who got surgery through the care card. They prioritized what bothered them and was hindering a happy life and got several consults and then did it. Most seem to opt for a tummy lift, second to boob lift (often without implants to be cheaper)

I am open to this. Dunno how I'll feel and look in a few years. Won't hesitate to get a loan to get to where I want to be. I am guessing boobs will bother me more than tummy but who knows. Hoping I don't care.
    Highest Weight: 281 lbs. (2.29.16)
    Official first surgeon weigh in: 274 lbs (3.18.16)
    Surgery weight: 264.2 (5.31.16)

stats sheet:http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=29990

M1: -21.6
    M2: -7.6
    M3: -13.4 (5 week month)
    M4: -9.6
    M5: -8.2
    M6: -7.6
    M7: -6.6
    M8: -6.6
    M9: -4.6

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member lakersgirl25's Avatar
    Last Activity
    10-18-2020 02:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I have read a lot about depression after surgeries. I think that it is natural because the immediate image after surgery is not that picture we all have in our head. It does go away of course you just have to hang in there. I have had a lo of discussions with a therapist even before the surgery because I have a history of depression so I was worried, what kind of reaction I might have after surgery. My therapist have talked with me for many hours and he allowed me to try and use marijuana to help me with depression. I tried different forms of marijuana but right now I am using edibles. I prefer them the most because they seem like the easiest way to ingest them. I have tried different brands and right now I am using one that I ordered from https://www.koalitymedicinals.com/. I really like it. The product really helps me plus I really like the fact that I can always order them online. Their prices are really attractive for me as well as the shipping is really fast. I hope that this helps you out a little bit

Gastric Sleeve Member Naomi_Grad_Student's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Naomi
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 01:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, Julieet! While I don't have an answer to your question, I do think you would be a great fit for my grad school research! I'm looking for participants who had WLS and are willing to answer some questions about their experience and what their relationship is like to their body. It's totally anonymous & takes ~20 minutes. If you ever wanna share your experience, come find me on instagram (inspire_transformation) as a new member here, I’m not allowed to put the research link. Boo.