Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    07-23-2016 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Two Years Eight Months Out...

Hello all. I had my WLS a couple of years ago, the one thing I can say that I actually hate is that I'm constantly hungry...well not really, let me explain, and I would love to know if anybody else has this 'problem'. I still eat very little food, I've lost a considerable amount of weight though I still have thirty lbs to go. This has been my situation from the very beginning. When I don't eat I'm not hungry...really if I don't eat I can go without even thinking about food, the problem with that is that my blood sugar drops to dangerous lows...so I have to eat something...once I swallow the first bite, hunger hits me like a brick wall...and before surgery I never really knew what hunger is...hunger is painful. Once I swallow that first bite I am sooooo hungry I could probably eat my smallest child...but I can't eat much because my sleeve is still so small...I'm eating the same about I ate at about six months out, I know, my surgeon has told me he is concerned about that as well, but I was so terrified in the beginning that I would stretch my stomach, I didn't dare eat much. Fast forward to today, I got up this morning at 8am, did not eat breakfast, went grocery shopping, at around noon I realized that my blood sugar was dropping so I grabbed a container of strawberries and ate them as I continued shopping, by the time I was at the checkout I was starving. The main problem with this is that I can never eat enough to make the hunger go away initially...it takes hours of being in pain and hungry...not fun. Does anybody else experience this? I'm thinking that maybe I need to increase my fats, will be making fat bombs this weekend. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Years Eight Months Out...

just make sure you eat whenever you can you do not want to have your blood sugar drop on you. Its dangerous especially when your asleep. Take care and im here if you want to chat.
    Luv Kari

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ellen
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr vorha
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 09:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

water can also make you feel hungry. If you don't drink enough water I know it hurt me prior to surgery and can be a culprit after surgery. Not eating breakfast I personally think is the worst thing. Especially if you are going to go food shopping after leaving the house. I am a newbie, but if I have to get up and go, I drink one of those ready made protein drinks & take a bottle of water with me. If you can stay home, I know you have more leisure with your food so you could scramble a loose egg or 2 or maybe yogurt or fruit with cottage cheese. Your sleeve may be tight because you are not eating enough food. Try to track again and see what you are actually eating. maybe those last 30 pounds will start slipping away. but you need breakfast & water! Good luck keep us posted
    STARTING WEIGHT 237

SURGERY WEIGHT 228.8

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Thanks guys...I normally don't skip breakfast, I've had this problem since the beginning...and believe me when I say I fully understand how dangerous low blood sugar can be. I went almost six months with this condition and never knew what it was, at the next scheduled physician appointment I explained how I was feeling to my surgeon and he had my blood drawn on the spot, it registered 64...he had me eat a handful of raisins right then and there, had me start checking my bs on a regular basis for a month...I no longer do all of that. I don't drink enough water, I will try adding more. Oh, and my physician does not allow us to use protein shakes, he wants us to get our nutrients from 'real' food.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I sprinkle unflavored or flavored protein powder into everything I eat or drink, including my morning coffee. I'm never hungry and I'm getting the maximum amount of protein (100 MG's).

Most of my protein comes from the food I eat as per my Dr's "orders".

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic 40+ years. By strictly following all instructions, I expected to, though haven't had any issues with low blood sugar.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ellen
    Surgery date
    05/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr vorha
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 09:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

I understand. I have two older brothers that are diabetics. They keep hard candy in their pockets or a piece of fruit. Depending what you do during the day maybe you can have an orange already in a bag. The have tiny cooler bags. Pollyo string cheese low fat as a snack, just trying to reach back into my old weight watchers brain. I am sure you can find items that are portable and would pass your Drs permission
    STARTING WEIGHT 237

SURGERY WEIGHT 228.8

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr byron
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi I'm the same we had surgery around the same time,I can eat bigger portions...but I do get hungry and it's even worse if I eat in the morning then a hour or so after breakfast I'm really hungry I try to eat fruit I have 24 pounds to go I was stuck at 180 for months like 6 months...I don't have a problem with blood sugar.....if I don't eat enough I don't lose and like you I worry if I eat to much I'll stretch my sleeve I don't seem to have the same restriction as I used to ��

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do you get those same painful hunger feelings if you eat only protein and fat? Carbs always make me hungry, too cause because they spike then crash your blood sugar. Eating a bunch of strawberries would not satisfy my hunger, but 4oz of chicken breast certainly would. If you haven't already, try eating only protein and fat and maybe low glycemic veggies for several days and see if you feel any different.

And drink at least 80-100oz of water every day.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-13-2016 08:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am very new (sleeved 5 days ago)...but the one thing my "team" has stressed and stressed is that when I can eat food again I cannot drink anything for 30 mins before or an hour after. The Doctor explained that the stomach has to become full so the food touches the sides of the stomach which is what releases the hormone to stop the hunger feeling. He said liquid moves through the stomached and makes food slide out too fast too. I imagine this isn't new news to anyone...but it was very impressed upon me.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Bravo to your dr for the no shakes policy! I have always had that same rule for myself. It just makes good sense. They just slide right through and have a ton of carbs. You HAVE to learn to deal with real food, how your body responds to it, and what it feels like to be hungry and how much you need to be satisfied. Same with the protein bars. I think they are expensive, glorified candy bars IMHO.
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

21. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/10/2016
    Surgeon
    M. Wayne Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    10-27-2016 06:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 235 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

For low blood sugar, you can get glucose tablets for such an emergency. They don't need to be refrigerated and are easily portable if you get the small tube size. I discovered them after I had a few episodes of low blood sugar for the first time in my life during the liquid only period. A couple of bites of peanut butter did the same thing.

Starting pre-op diet weight: 357
    Surgery date weight: 337
    Goal weight: 150

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thicknsweet's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Jayme Stokes
    Last Activity
    08-16-2016 01:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 7 weeks out and have noticed that I am rarely hungry but I have to force myself to eat regularly if I don't want to pass out. I would never skip breakfast. I start with a bit of fruit and then protein. And I eat every 2 hours focusing on protein, otherwise, I do have blood sugar issues. I'm most hungry after I eat carbs. It's a cycle that can be hard to break. I would think that at almost 3 years out, you know exactly what you should be doing, bu you've gotten away with a few bad habits that are starting to really impact your life. Commit to eating real food protein regularly whether you're hungry or not. It's about taking care of your health, not just losing those last few pounds.

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm 2 1/2 years out, and Like thickandsweet I do best if I eat protein every 2-3 hours. If I go longer than that, I definitely feel the effects of low blood sugar and I become famished. The fat content really never plays a role in my choices. And just as a matter of habit, carbs are never a meal. They are typically part of a protein dish or a stand alone treat that only satisfies my head, never my body.

27. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

thicknsweet I'm not sure what you are replying to...I am a strict low carber, I started at 324 lbs and am now under 200. Thank you for your comment, but at three years out I would hope that I understand that protein and 'eating real food' is important.

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    I'm 2 1/2 years out, and Like thickandsweet I do best if I eat protein every 2-3 hours. If I go longer than that, I definitely feel the effects of low blood sugar and I become famished. The fat content really never plays a role in my choices. And just as a matter of habit, carbs are never a meal. They are typically part of a protein dish or a stand alone treat that only satisfies my head, never my body.
    I agree, we are on the same page. I don't think about fat which is a mistake I believe...I eat about six times daily, always protein driven very small meals, actually you can't really call them meals as they are so small. Other than strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, I don't eat many carbs, I keep my carb count right around ten daily.

30. Said thanks: