Surgery date
    05/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valasquez
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Talking Diary of EVERYTHING so you know what to expect

I am getting sleeved tomorrow morning. I flew into San Diego airport the following is my notes so far.

Picked up at 12:06. Confusion over color of van. Was told white, but gray van shows up. I didn't pay attention to that color van so missed the driver holding up sign. Got call from a Mexico phone number who told me van was right there. Only one other patient on this pickup. Drove from 12:05 to 12:25 to the border. Only took 2 or 3 minutes to check bags and we headed out again. Arrived at hotel at 12:45 or so. Checked in at the front desk and then was taken to our room. I was paired with the other lady that was on the shuttle with me. She spoke Spanish so that helped. The room is nice, right in front of a very clean pool. Very nice weather to sit out by the pool to relax. The room has two queen beds, a TV (only 2 English speaking channels), and a very large shower. We met the nurse when checking in and he said he will call us to let us know if we are going over to the hospital today for the blood work or just doing it in the morning. He will also let us know what time to be in the lobby tomorrow morning. He suggested taking only our purse with valuables to the hospital. We will have the same room for the length of our stay.
    We went to the restaurant and was served a cup of chicken broth. We asked for a second cup and it was brought without any problem.
    Suggestion: bring ear plugs in case your roommate snores.
    Nurse called to meet in the lobby to go to hospital for lab work.
    The hospital is just a couple of blocks from the hotel. We were taken inside up up two flights of stairs to the 3rd floor. We went into a waiting room and we're given a medical history form to complete. Then, one by one we were called into a private room to weigh, verify our medical history and have blood pressure and EKG done. We were also called one by one into a different room to sign consents (written in Spanish) and pay the balance due. A hospital band was placed on our wrists during that time. (We were also told NOT to leave our suitcases at the hotel but to bring them to the hospital.) Once everyone had completed both tasks, we were taken back to the hotel. We were told they would do lab work in the morning. We called the nurse phone number (which is a room in the hotel), and he brought small water bottles, Apple juice and jello cups. Still waiting on a call from the nurse to find out what time we leave for the hospital in the morning.

Another good idea: a lightweight extension cord.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valasquez
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Diary of EVERYTHING so you know what to expect

Day 2 - day of surgery
    Meet in lobby of hotel at 5:40 and took the two blocks drive to the hospital. We were taken to our room to change into our hospital gown. Dr almanza came to to introduce himself and give a quick description of what the surgery is all about. He has his picture made with each patient. Then the nurse starts putting in iv's and putting blood in tunes for lab work. I was second for surgery and the took me back at 7:30. You walk to what is the recovery room and get on. Stretcher to wait. Then when they are ready for you, you walk into the operating room and get up on the table. The anesthesiologgist introduced himself and verifies no allergies and next thing you know, you are dozing off. I woke up (sort of) in the recovery room. I had an oxygen mask on and a bite block/airway in my mouth. As I started waking up they took the bite block out and told me to take deep breaths. It wasnt long before they put me in a wheelchair to bring me back to the room. There are 4 of us in this room.
    The rest of they day we rested and got out of our groggy state. They checked iv's and drains regularly, as well as blood pressure. Pain medicine wasn't offered but when I asked for some it was given. Also same for nausea. We each walked a little. There is a restroom right there in our room.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default Re: Diary of EVERYTHING so you know what to expect

It sounds like you are doing well and the staff is taking great care of you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.