Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

Thumbs up The Benefits of Swimming from an old sleever

Hi everybody. As you can see I got my sleeve in 2013. I chose swimming as my go to exercise. Why? I have a bad right knee/leg from a car accident and don't want to stress that out(pain 24/7 365). Also I work 12 hr shifts and am on my feet 90% of the time. Pounding my poor knees even worse(work in a very busy hospital). So I started swimming in 2013 after my surgery and pushed myself to get to my goal of 2 miles. And I did. Hoping beyond hope that losing all that weight would make a difference for my knee. No it didn't. Ok so I went back to night shift in 2014 and stopped swimming. Yikes! I have a lot of hanging skin and boy did not swimming make that worse.

Its 2016 and I have a night shift schedule that is good and I'm swimming again! I used to swim 2 miles 3 times a week. I will swim that when I'm off from work. Now I am building back up so I can swim that 2 miles. LOl. In the morning I'm pushing myself to reach 1 mile(33 laps). I swim the backstroke.

Why am I writing this? For all of you with health issues swimming is fabulous. Especially those of us with knee issues. It is very low impact on the knees. And since I do the backstroke it is an intense work out for my upper body. And I feel so damn good after swimming.
    I will be 60 in July and not bad for a old lady.

Also as a side bar. If you stopped working out after a year or two post surgery? Swimming is a good alternative to maybe jump start your exercise goal and get back on track. You can do Aquasize and that is certainly awesome also. I was so embarrassed when I first started swimming and I knew people were looking at the "fat lady". Got over that real quick as I went through 3 swimsuits that got progressively smaller.
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

Default Re: The Benefits of Swimming from an old sleever

Swimming is my go to exercise as well. Just love it in the water and very easy on the entire body, but....what a workout!!

4. Said thanks:

RRT

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Congrats on finding an exercise that worked for you. Swimming helped me a lot as well. Once I was cleared to exercise I got in the pool. Yes, I had the same concerns about a bad knee and how I looked, "the fat lady", but decided I didn't care what anyone thought. I took water aerobics classes and swam laps. Initially it was hard but getting back in the pool day after day it got easier. I also added weight training on days I didn't swim. Is my knee better, nope, and it won't be until it's replaced. It's certainly not as sore/achy as it was 220 pounds ago
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

6. Said thanks:

RRT

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I need something low impact i thoufht swimming would be my thing, but it makes my lower back hurt incrediable bad! And my knees hurt so ellipital is all ive found which will not bother me much tredmill walking and bikes swimming hurt!

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RRT View Post
    Hi everybody. As you can see I got my sleeve in 2013. I chose swimming as my go to exercise. Why? I have a bad right knee/leg from a car accident and don't want to stress that out(pain 24/7 365). Also I work 12 hr shifts and am on my feet 90% of the time. Pounding my poor knees even worse(work in a very busy hospital). So I started swimming in 2013 after my surgery and pushed myself to get to my goal of 2 miles. And I did. Hoping beyond hope that losing all that weight would make a difference for my knee. No it didn't. Ok so I went back to night shift in 2014 and stopped swimming. Yikes! I have a lot of hanging skin and boy did not swimming make that worse.

Its 2016 and I have a night shift schedule that is good and I'm swimming again! I used to swim 2 miles 3 times a week. I will swim that when I'm off from work. Now I am building back up so I can swim that 2 miles. LOl. In the morning I'm pushing myself to reach 1 mile(33 laps). I swim the backstroke.

Why am I writing this? For all of you with health issues swimming is fabulous. Especially those of us with knee issues. It is very low impact on the knees. And since I do the backstroke it is an intense work out for my upper body. And I feel so damn good after swimming.
    I will be 60 in July and not bad for a old lady.

Also as a side bar. If you stopped working out after a year or two post surgery? Swimming is a good alternative to maybe jump start your exercise goal and get back on track. You can do Aquasize and that is certainly awesome also. I was so embarrassed when I first started swimming and I knew people were looking at the "fat lady". Got over that real quick as I went through 3 swimsuits that got progressively smaller.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
    I'm so looking forward to swimming again! I'm waiting for our pool to warm up (no heater). I'm going to keep your distance goal in mind when I start again!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Louis Jeansonne IV
    Last Activity
    02-22-2017 01:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Thanks for posting this! My surgery is this Friday. I am 61 and have awful painful knees. I was hoping I could get out of knee replacement surgery with this, but maybe not. I'm doing the sleeve for a lot of reasons. Fighting weight all my adult life. I want to be able to move again. Hopefully alleviate at least some of the pain in my knees. Also, I wouldn't mind NOT looking like Jabba the Hutt either. ��

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Patrick DeHart
    Surgery date
    12/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Stone
    Last Activity
    11-27-2016 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Anyone try swimming after left leg amputation. Lost it due to bone infection.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not doing water aerobics now -- am one of the lucky ones whose knees no longer hurt after WLS and losing 100 pounds. But BOY, did I love aquarobics when I did. I have no doubt that at some point I'll go back to it. We're all getting older AND better, eh?

Thanks for the reminder. And I'm glad swimming is working so well for you.

P.S. Now I'm curious about how hard I'd have to work to swim now, since I no longer am wearing a "floater suit."

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Nwanguma
    Last Activity
    10-08-2016 11:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 359 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 379 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We have water aerobics class 4 times per week.....Mondays and Thursdays @ 9 a.m. & 5 p.m. I have depression pretty bad at times and getting awake in time for the morning class is really hard on me. So therefore I don't always get my exercise in. For some strange reason I never thought about just 'free swimming' by myself until I read your post. I don't know why it is i'm unable to think of these things on my own! Duh!!! Maybe I can make myself go more often than class time. I don't swim well on my belly but maybe I can do the backstroke or something. I've got to find something my hips, knees and 'bad balance' can tolerate in order to get some more of this weight off. I'm 14 months post op and I've never lost my cravings and sweet tooth, so the scale isn't being friendly to me. Always share what you all are doing because I don't always think about what's available to me until I happen to read it here. Thanks!

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I do an aquastrength strength training swim class 2-3 times a week and I love it. It's a fun alternative to just busting out some weight lifting/cycling; don't get me wrong, I really love weight lifting (I feel like an Amazon woman when I see my muscles flexed!) but the swimming doesn't feel like exercise. It just feels like I'm playing around and having fun. Swimming burns soooo many calories for me so I have to make sure I account for that.